Thread: Mondo movies
View Single Post
Old 10th October 2011, 04:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm not a fan of Mondo movies but I do find Jacopetti and Prosperi fascinating people who at least seemed to believe in what they were doing. Their films had more to them than just simple exploitation (aside from WOMEN OF THE WORLD) and should seen as serious documentary work. I think AFRICA ADDIO and GOODBYE UNCLE TOM should be seen at least once.

On the other hand you get other 'Mondo' filmmakers such as the Castiglioni brothers and Antonio Climati (who started off as cinematographer for J&P before turning director) who seemingly had no intention of creating a serious documentary and simply set out to make a cheap buck by exploiting real pain and suffering. Of course some sequences, such as the infamous scene showing a man being eaten by a lion in SAVAGE MAN, SAVAGE BEAST were simulated, the majority of them weren't. Also, unlike Jacopetti and Prosperi, Climati and Co didn't know when to stop and the films just got more and more unwatchable into borderline snuff.

Yes, exploitation films such as the Nazi death camp films, exploit real pain and suffering but it was/is all simulated, the filmmakers didn't stick a camera into some poor dying guys face.

Just my two cents - be interesting to see what others think.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 10th October 2011 at 04:35 PM.