Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1920's And Earlier (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   Nosferatu (1922) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1920s-earlier/4495-nosferatu-1922-a.html)

Bringer Of Funerals 28th January 2011 06:47 PM

Nosferatu (1922)

What are your thoughts on the 1922 classic

thundercrack 1st February 2011 11:10 AM

It's really good.

Heloch Corbeau 11th July 2011 07:41 PM

Shadows ......

An excellent interpretation of Stoker and the bit where Nosferatu creeps up the stairs in silhouette and then you see his hand as shadow over his victims heart and then clench is sheer visual poetry and should go down in the annals of horrordom as one of it's main highlights if not in cinema in general.

platostotal 11th July 2011 08:20 PM

Yeah, a great genuinely creepy silent movie. Definitely wouldn't want him coming up your stairs.:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th July 2011 09:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A superb film.

I also love Vampyr. Carl Dreyer's classic from 1932.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th July 2011 09:48 PM

The original Nosferatu is indeed a macabre classic.

Herzog's '70s take on the Nosferatu myth is also definitely worth checking out.

Susan Foreman 4th November 2011 07:31 PM

Isn't 'Nosferatu' the film that invented the myth that a vampire can be killed by sunlight?

R-T-C Tim 4th November 2011 07:34 PM

I need to see this with the original score. The BFI disc looked great, but the James Bernard score got a little repetitive - his music is great for background in the Hammer films, but 90 minutes non-stop does not work too well.

ArgentoFan1987 25th September 2012 10:28 AM

I loved Nosferatu. It remains one o my faves. Murnau's earlier Castle Vosglod (A.K.A. The Haunted Castel) is also a really good mystery chiller.

Dreyer's Vampyr I also enjoyed very much (Guillermo Del Toro's commentary track is excellent!). I find a lot of silent and early talky chillers have an atmosphere that doesn't seem to exist in many of today's films.

Rik 25th September 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 195383)
Isn't 'Nosferatu' the film that invented the myth that a vampire can be killed by sunlight?

10 points for Suzi! The reasoning behind this is because Stoker's widow wouldn't allow most aspects of the novel to be used, hence the character name changes etc

Demoncrat 26th September 2012 10:46 AM

It still retains its mystique, does anyone remember the time C4 showed it at xmas?? What a hoot. Haven't watched Herzog's version in years, may dig it out sharpish methinks....

ArgentoFan1987 26th September 2012 10:56 AM

it's also really good. Kinski is unbelievably creepy!

I remember a few years ago (was in my late teens) I taped a bunch of horror films from channel 4 (I must've been a horror night). I remember Takashi Miike's Audition, Peeping Tom (which I think is why I taped the night, the others were a bonus I tapped by mistake) Blaire Witch Project and the first silent I ever saw... The Phantom of the opera.

I know this has nothing to do with nosferatu, but it probably started my interest in silents and I probably would never have thought of watching Nosferatu if it hadn't been for Phantom of the Opera (which really surprised me, because i never knew this film exsisted. I thought POTO the musical was the original :crazy: )

Rik 26th September 2012 10:59 AM

Never seen the Kinski version(hangs head in shame), which release is the best to get?

ArgentoFan1987 26th September 2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275741)
Never seen the Kinski version(hangs head in shame), which release is the best to get?

this is the version I own. Just the film though :(

Nosferatu The Vampyre [1979] [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Klaus Kinski, Isabelle Adjani, Bruno Ganz, Roland Topor, Walter Ladengast, Dan van Husen, Jan Groth, Carsten Bodinus, Martje Grohmann, Rijk de Gooyer, Werner Herzog, CategoryArthouse, CategoryCentralE

Rik 26th September 2012 11:16 AM

Thanks for that, I've seen this in HMV loads of times but wasn't sure if there was a better version available these days

Prince_Vajda 26th September 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 165625)
A superb film.

I also love Vampyr. Carl Dreyer's classic from 1932.

From my Classic Horror thread...:coolblue:

A short review and some stills.

Greetings!

Susan Foreman 26th September 2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275741)

If you can find it, there is an Anchor Bay double disc set, which contains both the German and English language versions of the film

The German one has a run-time of 102:25, while the English one clocks in at 106:48

I think it has been deleted now, but I got a copy from a charity shop a few weeks ago

klownz 15th May 2013 08:35 AM

Great film, if you buy a copy go with the masters of horror release, its the best available and comes with a detailed book.

SCM 15th May 2013 08:59 AM

I love the original version but I still have to watch Herzog version

Robert W 22nd May 2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM (Post 341660)
I love the original version but I still have to watch Herzog version

I think Herzog's Nosferatu ranks right up there with Rollin's Lips of Blood in terms of sheer beauty of imagery.

Of course the origianl version had the benefit of Grau's incredible artistry, but Herzog had Kinski. So in that respect, I think the two versions qualify as masterpieces.

Btw, have you seen Shadow of the Vampire?

The Limey 22nd May 2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 275754)
Thanks for that, I've seen this in HMV loads of times but wasn't sure if there was a better version available these days

The BFI have recently announced a season of Herzog films being released by themselves onto Blu-ray. Nosferatu will probably feature there.

The Limey 22nd May 2013 04:25 AM

Hopefully a BFI release of Nosferatu will feature the artwork from the French BD:
http://a.imageshack.us/img641/2388/original505164.png

Rik 15th July 2015 11:31 AM

Strange things going on in Deutschland!

Nosferatu director's skull believed stolen - BBC News

Rik 17th April 2016 07:05 PM

Pretty interesting article from Dread Central about the filming locations for this classic which, as you may or may not know, is getting another remake starring Doug "Del Toro's BFF" Jones in the title role.

In the Shadow of Nosferatu: A Visit to the Filming Locations From Murnau's 1922 Classic - Dread Central

anton 23rd November 2018 09:55 AM

One of my favorite movies

Without a doubt it is one of my favorite horror films. All a classic, all people who like this genre should see it ... It marked me a lot when I saw it for the first time.

Dave Boy 23rd November 2018 11:42 AM

Great. This film was made 96 years ago.
There are scenes in this movie that have the power to creep out even now.

Rik 25th November 2018 01:10 PM

Currently watching this masterpiece (via the Masters of Cinema BD) thanks to this thread being revived, I haven’t watched it since I wrote an essay on music in horror films for a uni project a few years ago.
Think I might have a silent horror double bill and watch The Phantom of the Opera after :nod:

Demoncrat 25th November 2018 08:01 PM

Of course it still works. We live in it's shadow FFS :laugh:.

:hail:

Schreck epitomes evil. Simples. :nod:

Bringer Of Funerals 17th March 2019 11:09 AM

Ive just bought the BFI Blu of the film

Susan Foreman 17th March 2019 11:21 AM

The entire story, told in 5 minutes!

"Deep in the heart of Germany
Lucy clutched her breast in fear
She heard a beat of her lover's heart
For weeks she raved in dreams he appeared
From far off Transylvania

Only a woman can break his spell