Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1920's And Earlier (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=547)
-   -   The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (1920) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1920s-earlier/6779-cabinet-dr-caligari-1920-a.html)

Demoncrat 22nd September 2011 09:43 AM

can only concur. even if you havent "seen" it, you have seen its influence all over the place...film noir etc, managed to see Der Golem AND the original Frankenstein last year, and wow they were both worth the wait...

SharonLynette 14th June 2012 10:31 PM

I find this film beautiful. I know it seems strange but it gives me a sense of home. It makes me feel happy.

I have yet to purchase a copy though, I've actually watched it on TV several times and I've always been dubious about the quality.

Daemonia 14th June 2012 10:41 PM

I saw this once many moons ago and loved it. I've since picked up the Kino DVD, I really must sit myself down and watch it again, along with Der Golem, Nosferatu (3 versions), Vampyr and Faust, which are all sitting on my shelf and - to my shame - remain unwatched. I might rectify that this coming weekend. :)

It's interesting that German expressionism is being mentioned. This is pretty much acknowledged as the roots of Euro horror, just as the Edgar Wallace mysteries are a supposed influence on the Giallo. I must dig out Pete Tombs' Immoral Tales again, as it's all covered in there.

And for those interested in early silent cinema, the film Shadow of the Vampire with Willem Dafoe and John Malkovich is an absolute must-see.

I also think this is why Herzog's Nosferatu The Vampyre is such a favourite. It simply oozes atmosphere and dread, much like the early silents were so capable of doing.

Frankie Teardrop 14th June 2012 11:03 PM

Any fans of Rinse Dream's 'DR CALIGARI'? A messed up movie still seeking its rightful audience.

Slippery Jack 14th June 2012 11:08 PM

Anyone see that remake with Doug Jones as Cesare? I remember seeing a trailer yonks ago, but dunno if it ever got any kind of release...?

Gojirosan 14th June 2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 250374)
Any fans of Rinse Dream's 'DR CALIGARI'? A messed up movie still seeking its rightful audience.

Never saw that. I always admired Café Flesh, but could never track down any of his other flicks (this was back in the pre-internet, VHS days). Then I kind of forgot about him.

Frankie Teardrop 14th June 2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 250377)
Never saw that. I always admired Café Flesh, but could never track down any of his other flicks (this was back in the pre-internet, VHS days). Then I kind of forgot about him.

No official DVD release of 'Dr Caligari', but it really, really needs one. Forget Expressionism, this is sub-Cronenberg does softcore Cubism!

Daemonia 15th June 2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 250385)
No official DVD release of 'Dr Caligari', but it really, really needs one. Forget Expressionism, this is sub-Cronenberg does softcore Cubism!

Is that the one with Madeleine Reynall and Fox Harris? If so, it's a truly bizarre and surreal viewing experience.

Frankie Teardrop 15th June 2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 250452)
Is that the one with Madeleine Reynall and Fox Harris? If so, it's a truly bizarre and surreal viewing experience.

The same, by the director of 'Cafe Flesh'. I use phrases like 'one of a kind' too often, but for once it's true! Really is a unique little film, and I wish someone would put it out, maybe along with 'Liquid Sky'!

sawyer6 16th June 2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 250376)
Anyone see that remake with Doug Jones as Cesare? I remember seeing a trailer yonks ago, but dunno if it ever got any kind of release...?

Play.com - Buy The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari (2005) (Region 1 DVD) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!