Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1930's

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2013, 12:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Default Can Fritz Lang's M (1931) Be Considered A Horror Film?

?
Old 20th January 2013, 12:29 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I don't personally consider it to be, but as I mentioned elsewhere on the forum recently, 'horror' is open for interpretation and is extremely subjective. So, I'd say it was completely down to the individual.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran

I have considered it as a horror film personally, it is subjective though and down to the viewer. Considering the time it was filmed it's definitely got horror connotations but I feel that if it were a film that came out today it would just be classed under the very wide umbrella of "psychological thriller".

At the end of the day though, you only need to be able to broadly categorise something with a genre so you know quickly if it sparks your interest. A good film is a good film, and a bad film is sometimes a good film but it matters not whether it's horror, drama or thriller.
Demoncrat and Susan Foreman like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2013, 10:40 PM
Cultist

A compelling argument could be made for it being and not being a horror flick. Personally, I see it as one, much in the same way a film like Psycho, Last House On The Left, Hills Have Eyes, and Friday the 13th is seen as one.

I would also add that M can just as easily be regarded as a proto-slasher as well.

Regardless, M is certainly a hybrid film. Part horror. Part Slasher. Part detective. Certainly it's the forerunner of such films like Manhunter/Silence of the Lambs.
Old 4th October 2013, 02:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's not a horror film in the usual sense, but the themes of child murder and paedophillia definitely are horrific.
Old 4th October 2013, 04:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tbh don't think I've seen any of his films.
Old 4th October 2013, 05:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Tbh don't think I've seen any of his films.
Oh definitely check out some Fritz Lang Gag, with Lang you're in safe hands. I can't think of another film maker who made incredible Silent films and later equally brilliant Talkies... I'd go with Bizarre Eye on this one, what type of film M is down to the viewer, but many of Lang's films have unmistakable Horror overtones, his film noirs in particular are dark, pessimistic, infernal affairs - his 1953 film The Big Heat is a touchstone of screen brutality for a scene where Lee Marvin throws scalding coffee in Gloria Grahame's face, a moment that still packs a wallop...
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 4th October 2013, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Purchased this version recently, it is absolutely stunning and the best Digibook I have seen to date:

M Blu-ray: 80th Anniversary 2-Disc Edition | M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (Germany)
Old 4th October 2013, 11:52 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Purchased this version recently, it is absolutely stunning and the best Digibook I have seen to date:

M Blu-ray: 80th Anniversary 2-Disc Edition | M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (Germany)
Yes I agree. It is beautiful. This one and Eureka's The passion of Joan of Arc steelbook are absolutely stunning. Great movies that deserve a great package. But is M a horror? I don't think so, it is dark however and will appeal to horror fans I think.
ArgentoFan1987 and tele1962 like this.
Old 5th October 2013, 08:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post

I have Eureka's Masters of Cinema Dual Format edition myself. Never seen this german digibook before. Looks pretty stunning.

Where did you buy it from, the German Amazon?
tele1962 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!