Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1930's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=548)
-   -   Can Fritz Lang's M (1931) Be Considered A Horror Film? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1930s/10400-can-fritz-langs-m-1931-considered-horror-film.html)

Buboven 20th January 2013 11:24 AM

Can Fritz Lang's M (1931) Be Considered A Horror Film?

?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th January 2013 11:29 AM

I don't personally consider it to be, but as I mentioned elsewhere on the forum recently, 'horror' is open for interpretation and is extremely subjective. So, I'd say it was completely down to the individual.

Justin101 20th January 2013 11:36 AM

I have considered it as a horror film personally, it is subjective though and down to the viewer. Considering the time it was filmed it's definitely got horror connotations but I feel that if it were a film that came out today it would just be classed under the very wide umbrella of "psychological thriller".

At the end of the day though, you only need to be able to broadly categorise something with a genre so you know quickly if it sparks your interest. A good film is a good film, and a bad film is sometimes a good film but it matters not whether it's horror, drama or thriller. :D

Robert W 20th January 2013 09:40 PM

A compelling argument could be made for it being and not being a horror flick. Personally, I see it as one, much in the same way a film like Psycho, Last House On The Left, Hills Have Eyes, and Friday the 13th is seen as one.

I would also add that M can just as easily be regarded as a proto-slasher as well.

Regardless, M is certainly a hybrid film. Part horror. Part Slasher. Part detective. Certainly it's the forerunner of such films like Manhunter/Silence of the Lambs.

ArgentoFan1987 4th October 2013 02:46 PM

It's not a horror film in the usual sense, but the themes of child murder and paedophillia definitely are horrific.

gag 4th October 2013 04:55 PM

Tbh don't think I've seen any of his films.

Wes 4th October 2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 369968)
Tbh don't think I've seen any of his films.

Oh definitely check out some Fritz Lang Gag, with Lang you're in safe hands. I can't think of another film maker who made incredible Silent films and later equally brilliant Talkies... I'd go with Bizarre Eye on this one, what type of film M is down to the viewer, but many of Lang's films have unmistakable Horror overtones, his film noirs in particular are dark, pessimistic, infernal affairs - his 1953 film The Big Heat is a touchstone of screen brutality for a scene where Lee Marvin throws scalding coffee in Gloria Grahame's face, a moment that still packs a wallop...

tele1962 4th October 2013 08:03 PM

Purchased this version recently, it is absolutely stunning and the best Digibook I have seen to date:

M Blu-ray: 80th Anniversary 2-Disc Edition | M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (Germany)

monkeyscreams 4th October 2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 370006)
Purchased this version recently, it is absolutely stunning and the best Digibook I have seen to date:

M Blu-ray: 80th Anniversary 2-Disc Edition | M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder (Germany)

Yes I agree. It is beautiful. This one and Eureka's The passion of Joan of Arc steelbook are absolutely stunning. Great movies that deserve a great package. But is M a horror? I don't think so, it is dark however and will appeal to horror fans I think.

Buboven 5th October 2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 370006)

I have Eureka's Masters of Cinema Dual Format edition myself. Never seen this german digibook before. Looks pretty stunning.

Where did you buy it from, the German Amazon?