Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1930's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Demdike@Cult Labs
  • 2 Post By Demdike@Cult Labs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2013, 03:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default The Best Of Universal's 30's Frankenstein Films

Which is your favourite, and why?

. Frankenstein (1931)

. Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

. Son of Frankenstein (1939)

My choice?

Frankenstein was pretty good, but it could drag. I like it though, especially the lab scenes.

Bride of Frankenstein was FAR superior! The best thing about it was Boris Karloff as Frankenstein and Ernest Thesiger as Dr Pretorius. Frankenstein gets more intelligent here, so Karloff gets the opportunity to do more with the character, which results in my favourite portrayal of the monster out of the whole series. Pretorius was just a great villain! I will never forget that scene in the crypt...

Son of Frankenstein was also great. Karloff is back and on great form, but his performance here is not as good as the one in Bride. If anything, Bela Lugosi was the greatest thing about this movie. His portrayal as Ygor was very good.

So... I'm going to say Bride. The original was good and Son was really good (almost Bride's equal), but Bride is one of my favourite movies of all time. A case where the sequel not only rivals the original, but dominates it!
Old 14th June 2013, 04:14 PM
Cultist

Never been a massive fan of the Frankensteins (or the Draculas for that matter) but I love The Mummy, The Invisible Man and Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (the 30s one), all fantastic!
Old 14th June 2013, 05:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Why haven't you mentioned House of Frankenstein from 1944.?

Sure, it doesn't have the same gravitas as the earlier groundbreaking efforts but, i defy anyone to say it isn't more fun.

You have Karloff as the deranged Dr. Niemann, John Carradine as Dracula, Lon Chaney Jr reprising his Wolfman role and Glenn Strange as Frankenstein's monster.

Thats before we start on the excellent Ghost of Frankenstein.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house-of-frankenstein-1950-re-issue-everett.jpg (78.8 KB, 1 views)
Rik likes this.
Old 14th June 2013, 05:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I love all of them, and all the other Universal Monster films, but if I had to pick one favourite then it would have to be Bride of Frankenstein
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th June 2013, 06:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I love all of them, and all the other Universal Monster films, but if I had to pick one favourite then it would have to be Bride of Frankenstein
I think i'd go with The Wolfman as my fave monster film.

However my favourite Universal horror is The Black Cat from 1934.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6823529_f520.jpg (69.0 KB, 1 views)
Nordicdusk and Dave Boy like this.
Old 14th June 2013, 06:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Out of the three listed, I would have to say Son Of Frankenstein, as it was the very first horror film I ever watched on telly, as a kid. It was the springboard to my love of horror movies.
Old 14th June 2013, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I was going to include those from Ghost of Frankenstein onwards but then I realised that this is a 30's thread and decided to include only those made in that era. I'm sure a thread for the rest can be started on the 40's movies.

And yes, Ghost of Frankenstein is a really good one too (I liked it more than the original). House of Frankenstein was pretty good, although I prefer House of Dracula. Not yet seen the one with Abbot and Costello...

Like this? Share it using the links below!