Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1930's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:48 AM
Cultist

Send a message via AIM to snipsmovies Send a message via MSN to snipsmovies Send a message via Yahoo to snipsmovies

Good grief ! I used to have all of those 90s Vipco releases in the old HUGE rental boxes. They looked fab all lined up along my shelf. Then someone kindly broke it to me how sliced and diced they had been - but this was in the days before DVD and Blue Underground & Anchor Bay.

I was really pissed to see them change the cover art recently to such crappy and cheap lettering with all the great art removed, but then again I haven't bought a Vipco release for a good seven years.

Still, I'll always remember the classic days of 'Shockwaves' and 'Rats: Night of Terror' !!
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:54 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Welcome to the forums Snipsmovies - I've just had a lot of fun looking at your website - www.snipsmovies.com - I think everyone here should pop along - I wish I had a rental store like that near me! It's got me thinking that we need to establish some kind of list of indie stores out there that stock us as it's down to cool rental places in the 80s and 90s that I got into this stuff.

Anyway... yes Vipco releases were often cut but then when they were putting them out in the 90s was an awful time. The BBFC were really clamping down at that time - hence why I said it was such a horrible time for collecting. Another bug bear was how reviled horror was. I remember Wolf coming out and all the press for it was how it was not a horror movie like it was a dirty genre. It was though at the time very unfashionable.

And yes Snips I will be in touch!
Old 3rd January 2008, 11:56 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes I have time for Vipco as well. Even when they were cheesy they were loveable, and nostalgia-wise they were one of the best. I'll miss them for sure.

They touched immortality by releasing The Burning fully uncut in 2002 when no one else (legally) had. If they'd submitted the uncut Night Of The Demon at the same time (rather than just releasing the cut one again) then greatness would have been theirs.

Redemption did very well under the circumstances (ie James 'God's Chosen One' Ferman). Although some were chunked (Mark Of The Devil for one, which is still missing a bit) they got Witchfinder General and some of the Pete Walker films through intact.

At least the IMDB now lists the true cuts length for NYR. It's a bit late now but maybe it will help for future buyers of Shameless. I compared it side-by-side with the Vipco video and where the BBFC got 34 secs from I really don't know (and neither do they).
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:02 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

I hadn't seen those details on the IMDB - thanks for pointing that out - anything to do with you? Reminds me I think our website lists the wrong cuts!
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:02 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Was anyone else dumb enough to spend £60 on their "collectors box" that contained Shogun Assassin, The Mutilator and The Burning? haha.

I was - NONE of the DVDs worked, lol. MVC only had one copy so I never got to get it replaced. Could have been worth something these days. Bummer.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:12 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

£60? Wow!!!! I'll have to have a ponder on my overspends in the past...
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:15 PM
Cultist

Send a message via AIM to snipsmovies Send a message via MSN to snipsmovies Send a message via Yahoo to snipsmovies

That's Cool Almar - I appreciate that, though I feel that everyone here is unbelieveably appreciative of yourself and your crew for finally giving the UK access to some thoroughly delicious horror / exploitation movies.

Thanks for checking out my business. It is, as I tell all my customers just the greatest job in the world. I wish I could have more time for the website, but as its pretty much a one man show, its all I have to offer right now.

I agree with what you said with regard to the 'classic video stores'. Places of that ilk really did form my taste into what it is today - which is why I have been trying over the last few years to mould this place into such an establishment. I was a manager for Blockbuster for 5 years, and just got so pissed off at the way they were trying to condition there customers to JUST the new releases. Now the situation is far worse there will them purchasing fewer and fewer secondary titles - and just forget about back catalogue or classic titles.

Rental stores on the whole have largely been a victim of DVDs and encouraging retail prices. I live on the Wirral (pop: 350,000 ish) - my old Yellow Pages of four years ago shows 60+ indie rental stores. In 2008 we are down to 9. That's a hell of a decline. Luckily for myself, our revenue seems to be steadily increasing, thanks mainly to diversifying into several obscure sub-genres, resulting in fantastic world of mouth around the local area.

Its a shame. I really do worry that the next generation of film lovers are going to be raised conditioned to the big studio movies - oblivious to the talents of Ruggero Deodato and unaware of the sheer foxyness of Edwige Feneche (like they are going to notice her in Hostel II). Hopefully the video store will make a comeback, I think its a vital part of the community.
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:15 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I mainly contribute trivia, filming locations & cast corrections to the IMDB (when they decide to bother), though I did send them details of the NYR corrections. It isn't my wording but they seemed to have used them.

I recall seeing the WOW FAB GROOVY Special Edition double-bill DVD of Vipco's Cannibal Holocaust (now in widescreen!!! - sort of!!) & House On The Edge Of The Park for sale in HMV (for a generously-priced £30 or so). They slightly missed out the fact that CH was missing nearly 6 minutes and HOTEOTP was devoid of errr....... 12 minutes.
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I recall seeing the WOW FAB GROOVY Special Edition double-bill DVD of Vipco's Cannibal Holocaust (now in widescreen!!! - sort of!!) & House On The Edge Of The Park for sale in HMV (for a generously-priced £30 or so). They slightly missed out the fact that CH was missing nearly 6 minutes and HOTEOTP was devoid of errr....... 12 minutes.
That's a 'special' display of chutzpah... and yes, I owned it! lol

I then imported both from the states and flogged the crappy UK release.

Welcome to The Deuce
Old 3rd January 2008, 12:43 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
£60? Wow!!!! I'll have to have a ponder on my overspends in the past...
This was in 2000 when I was in college doing Business, for a project I created my very own Vipco. lol. So naive... and overly fekking foolish with the money I would sweat to save!

I was also too young to be buying them... hmmm

Welcome to The Deuce

Like this? Share it using the links below!