View Single Post
Old 27th October 2011, 08:53 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Saw My Bloody Valentine (original) and The Prowler last night as part of Cigarette Burns Lacerated Lovers double bill at the Prince Charles Cinema in London.

I'd seen neither before, although I had seen the MBV 3D remake at the cinema (the first and only 3D film that I actually enjoyed) and I knew that Savini was behind the effects for TP.

Anyway apart from the twats who kept talking and scrunching their sweet wrappers at the back it was a great night and the films were both thoroughly enjoyable, although I slightly preferred MBV as it had a more unusual setting and featured one of the best lines of dialogue I've ever come across:

Patty talking about a dress to Sarah:

"It's cut down to here (motions to her cleavage) and slit up to here (points to the top of her leg)."

MBV was a more light hearted and shonky affair, but the killer looked great in his gas mask and he had a more varied way of despatching his victims, which I liked too.
Also it was amazing to see an X certificate screen opening a film and one of the reels towards the end went lurid pink - all added to the atmosphere.

The Prowler was quite different. It was much slicker and way more abstract, leaving the audience with loads of unanswered questions, but this was no bad thing and Savini's effects were executed with aplomb.
There were some great music cues too that put me in mind of Wendy/Walter Carlo's synth work for Kubrick - droney stabs that were really atmospheric.

So two excellent films and now I can't wait for their next event which is Fulci's House By the Cemetery!

Oh, almost forgot I also picked up one of Cigarette Burns limited edition T-shirts that they print up for their events and this one was designed by this forum's very own Slippery Jack! I think you'll agree it looks pretty damn awesome:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0382.jpg (96.2 KB, 3 views)

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage