Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1950's

Like Tree145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2010, 07:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Wishful thinking I'm afraid.
The same would be great with Hammer's Frankenstein movies,but I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned different rights holders.Pity.
It's a shame. Yeah, a Frankenstein collection would go down well too. Maybe, one day, you never know. I alway's enjoy watching Dracula AD 1972. Just loved the fresh new setting of present day London, thought that was fantastic. The usual Castle setting was getting a little stale by that point. I have no idea if fans really like this one or not, but I've always enjoyed it...
Old 4th October 2010, 07:24 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

There's not a Hammer Dracula I don't like mate.Ditto for the good doctor.

I think it's time to resurrect the ol' Hammer thread...

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 5th October 2010, 02:38 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I love the '58 Dracula but when it comes to Hammer Dracula's I think I actually prefer Dracula POD. Scared the crap out of me when I first saw it as a kid and it still has that edge. The '58 Dracula is the most stylish but POD is like a mad Dracula slasher with Lee as the crazy hissing vampire.
Old 5th October 2010, 05:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I love the '58 Dracula but when it comes to Hammer Dracula's I think I actually prefer Dracula POD. Scared the crap out of me when I first saw it as a kid and it still has that edge. The '58 Dracula is the most stylish but POD is like a mad Dracula slasher with Lee as the crazy hissing vampire.
I really like the two of those, But out of the two, Dracula 1958 is my favourite. Prince of Darkness is the one where Dracula don't speak during the whole movie right? The Satanic Rights, and AD 1972 are personal favourites too.
iank likes this.
Old 5th October 2010, 06:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
I really like the two of those, But out of the two, Dracula 1958 is my favourite. Prince of Darkness is the one where Dracula don't speak during the whole movie right? The Satanic Rights, and AD 1972 are personal favourites too.
That's the one. Lee refused the dialogue because it was so far removed from Stoker's Dracula. I always find the Dracula unveiling in Satanic Rites a little Sccoby Doo-ish but it's great fun.
Old 27th October 2010, 10:40 PM
Cult Rookie

... it's fascinating how dracula (horror of dracula) is so utterly different in tone from the other christopher lee dracula films in the series. where the sequels are lurid and somewhat trashy with not a lot of speaking by lee, in the original lee's dracula has lots of dialogue and there's considerably more depth to the character ...

... watching dracula on tv was one of the more frightening experiences of my youth, right up there with frankenstein the true story and trilogy of terror ...
Old 28th October 2010, 03:31 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
... it's fascinating how dracula (horror of dracula) is so utterly different in tone from the other christopher lee dracula films in the series. where the sequels are lurid and somewhat trashy with not a lot of speaking by lee, in the original lee's dracula has lots of dialogue and there's considerably more depth to the character ...

... watching dracula on tv was one of the more frightening experiences of my youth, right up there with frankenstein the true story and trilogy of terror ...
Once the story of the original novel has been told by Hammer, where do they go from there? That may explain the quality shift of the Hammer follow-ups. You've made an interesting point there though, I agree with you on this. I think I read somewhere that Christopher Lee refused to use a lot of the dialogue from some of the Dracula films since the original 1958 version. They strayed too far away from the original source, which was Bram Stokers book. I liked most of the Hammer Dracula's though, apart from one or two of them. I find The scars of Dracula a tad boring these day's, along with one more, which I think was 'Risen". AD 1972 is good fun, and so is the "Satanic rites"....
Old 28th October 2010, 10:08 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
I liked most of the Hammer Dracula's though, apart from one or two of them. I find The scars of Dracula a tad boring these day's, along with one more, which I think was 'Risen". AD 1972 is good fun, and so is the "Satanic rites"....
... yeh i absolutely LOVE all the sequels too ...

... i picked up a warner bros. dvd that included dracula has risen from the grave, taste the blood of dracula, dracula a.d. 1972 and horror of dracula. and the thing is, horror of dracula seemed so out of place with the others. compared to the sequels terence fisher's original felt like classic james whale-directed universal horror from the '30s ...

... i guess i'm just jaded having survived the blood-drenched 1980s. by the way, i read somewhere that horror of dracula is one of john carpenter's fave horror flicks ...
Old 28th October 2010, 10:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the machine View Post
... yeh i absolutely LOVE all the sequels too ...

... i picked up a warner bros. dvd that included dracula has risen from the grave, taste the blood of dracula, dracula a.d. 1972 and horror of dracula. and the thing is, horror of dracula seemed so out of place with the others. compared to the sequels terence fisher's original felt like classic james whale-directed universal horror from the '30s ...

... i guess i'm just jaded having survived the blood-drenched 1980s. by the way, i read somewhere that horror of dracula is one of john carpenter's fave horror flicks ...
Yeah, they are fun movies. I've been looking for a dvd set of those Warner Bros Dracula's for ages. Didn't realise that there was one out. Dracula 1958 was a more serious piece compared to the later ones, I noticed that too. They became more and more camp as they went on. This is part of their charm for me though. Childhood favourites.
John Carpenter has good taste then. lol
Old 28th October 2010, 10:39 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Dracula (1958) was the film my parents went to see on their first date.

Like this? Share it using the links below!