Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1950's

Like Tree145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2013, 06:56 PM
Cultist in Training

Just watched this on blu ray....wow...it really looks fantastic. I loved the new inserts, they made the ending have even more of an impact. Excellent stuff.
Rik likes this.
Old 8th April 2013, 11:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Watched this on Saturday night and it looked stunning, great to see the Japanese footage in the final film.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 8th April 2013, 05:55 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Superb innit?
trebor8273 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As usual people have something to complain about with this release, the following is a post from the Hammer Lovers group on Facebook

Now that I've seen the '58 DRACULA blu-ray, I can understand what all the controversy was about. As someone who has lived with this film since I was five years old, I can say this: God bless Simon Rowson for finding the lost footage, but as for the image of the blu-ray itself, it is not even in the same universe as what I saw in cinemas (three times). It is far too dark, too dreary, and, yes, too blue. The young folks who do these restorations have no idea what Eastman Color looked like; they have no idea what Jack Asher's color palette looked like; they have no idea what shocked the world in 1958. Fisher's DRACULA was in COLOR! Not just blue, but red, green, yellow, shades of brown, pink, mauve. Tod Browning's DRACULA was in black and white; Fisher's departed from that, big time. The people in charge of this restoration are trying to make it look like just another 21st Century period piece, devoid of color, light and all the other visuals that made it great. They don't get it and they never will. They don't know what film, as opposed to video, looked like. If you want to have some idea of what DRACULA (aka HORROR OF DRACULA) looked like, see the Warner Bros DVD. The Lionsgate blu-ray is a crashing disappointment...except for the extras and the newly discovered scenes.

I've only watched my copy once so far, but that one viewing was enough for me to think there is absolutely jack shit wrong with this release, much the same as I think about Lionsgate's other classic Hammer, The Curse of Frankenstein, which plenty of people (including some members here) have found fault with.
mark meakin likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th April 2013, 11:40 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

You have to wonder when that person saw the film and whether they are now looking back on the experience accurately.

Like you, I've only watched the BD once and thought the colour palette was excellent, something reflected in the lengthy piece on the restoration in which the people at the BFI did their best to make sure it was exactly the same as on the film stock.
mark meakin likes this.
Old 13th April 2013, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, further down in the comments he's still recommending people buy it, just only for the extras.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th April 2013, 06:51 PM
Active Cultist

It's easily the best BD release of the year so far for me.

Perhaps the haters will be glad when they stop releasing hammer horror altogether on HD and then they can go back to their precious DVDs.

I do wonder if a lot of this negative feedback comes from the US, sour grapes perhaps because there isn't a US release yet.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 13th April 2013, 06:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Completely agree, only release that can maybe beat it for me this year is the Wicker Man steelbook
Old 13th April 2013, 07:36 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
As usual people have something to complain about with this release, the following is a post from the Hammer Lovers group on Facebook

Now that I've seen the '58 DRACULA blu-ray, I can understand what all the controversy was about. As someone who has lived with this film since I was five years old, I can say this: God bless Simon Rowson for finding the lost footage, but as for the image of the blu-ray itself, it is not even in the same universe as what I saw in cinemas (three times). It is far too dark, too dreary, and, yes, too blue. The young folks who do these restorations have no idea what Eastman Color looked like; they have no idea what Jack Asher's color palette looked like; they have no idea what shocked the world in 1958. Fisher's DRACULA was in COLOR! Not just blue, but red, green, yellow, shades of brown, pink, mauve. Tod Browning's DRACULA was in black and white; Fisher's departed from that, big time. The people in charge of this restoration are trying to make it look like just another 21st Century period piece, devoid of color, light and all the other visuals that made it great. They don't get it and they never will. They don't know what film, as opposed to video, looked like. If you want to have some idea of what DRACULA (aka HORROR OF DRACULA) looked like, see the Warner Bros DVD. The Lionsgate blu-ray is a crashing disappointment...except for the extras and the newly discovered scenes.

I've only watched my copy once so far, but that one viewing was enough for me to think there is absolutely jack shit wrong with this release, much the same as I think about Lionsgate's other classic Hammer, The Curse of Frankenstein, which plenty of people (including some members here) have found fault with.
I was one of the critical ones of The Curse Of Frankenstein (Lionsgate say it was the best master available, which is fair enough), but Dracula looks great. I wasn't alive in 1958, so I don't know what it looked like theatrically (and as for saying people have no idea what an Eastman colour film looked like, did they all look exactly the same? And can the moaners remember what it looked like in 58, if the were even born!)
Old 14th April 2013, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm hoping that sales of this and Curse allows them to release The Mummy too in a 3 disc special edition too, last time I asked Hammer they said it was a possibility

Like this? Share it using the links below!