Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1950's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree145Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2014, 10:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The BD of this is only £7 on Amazon at the moment - a steal for such a fantastic release of a classic film.
Old 17th August 2017, 04:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Did anyone see the knackered Dracula one sheet go for £6000 on Flog It just now?

Also the Dr Terrors House of Horrors one that went for over a grand?
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 18th August 2017, 06:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did anyone see the knackered Dracula one sheet go for £6000 on Flog It just now?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th August 2017, 07:17 AM
Cult Master

Quote:

Gosh!

As regular readers know, I used to work in a cinema, and one day, when doing some 'deep cleaning', I found a secret room, just off the gents toilet!

On entering it, I discovered it was full of posters, which were being kept in storage

Obviously, it was my duty to liberate them, and set them free!!!!

I now have the original posters for (amongst others) 'War of the Worlds' (1953 version), 'The Fly' (Cronenberg), 'Alien 3', 'Rocky Horror', 'Innocent Blood', 'Woodstock' and 'The Assassin' ('Point of No Return' for our US cousins - the remake of 'Nikita') neatly scrunched up in some old Tesco bags

Wonder if they are worth anything interesting

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th August 2017, 08:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Gosh!

As regular readers know, I used to work in a cinema, and one day, when doing some 'deep cleaning', I found a secret room, just off the gents toilet!

On entering it, I discovered it was full of posters, which were being kept in storage

Obviously, it was my duty to liberate them, and set them free!!!!

I now have the original posters for (amongst others) 'War of the Worlds' (1953 version), 'The Fly' (Cronenberg), 'Alien 3', 'Rocky Horror', 'Innocent Blood', 'Woodstock' and 'The Assassin' ('Point of No Return' for our US cousins - the remake of 'Nikita') neatly scrunched up in some old Tesco bags

Wonder if they are worth anything interesting
I think the original poster for the ’53 version of War of the Worlds would be worth a bit.
Susan Foreman likes this.

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks
Old 19th August 2017, 08:17 AM
Cult Addict

I'd say the Rocky Horror and The Fly posters may be worth a bit
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 19th August 2017, 11:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

As someone who used to collect posters, Susan, the War of the Worlds one would be the most valuable. Get it framed and valued. If it's in decent condition you might be surprised.

Rocky Horror will also be valuable but i think you should keep that for yourself.

The Fly, The Assassin, and Alien 3 not so much as there were a hell of a lot of them about. Used to see loads at film fairs.

The Woodstock one could well be the most valuable given the right market - New York.

Whilst i type i'm thinking the Woodstock and War of the Worlds ones might well be reissues unless especially in the case of War, unless it had been in the store room for 40 years. Reissues are worth less than original release posters sadly.

Film posters are seen as art nowadays. So it's not always the film itself which is the selling point.
Old 19th August 2017, 11:49 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
As someone who used to collect posters, Susan, the War of the Worlds one would be the most valuable. Get it framed and valued. If it's in decent condition you might be surprised.

Rocky Horror will also be valuable but i think you should keep that for yourself.

The Fly, The Assassin, and Alien 3 not so much as there were a hell of a lot of them about. Used to see loads at film fairs.

The Woodstock one could well be the most valuable given the right market - New York.

Whilst i type i'm thinking the Woodstock and War of the Worlds ones might well be reissues unless especially in the case of War, unless it had been in the store room for 40 years. Reissues are worth less than original release posters sadly.

Film posters are seen as art nowadays. So it's not always the film itself which is the selling point.
at London Film and Comic Con, there was a stall full of vintage posters and some of them were going for 3 digit sums, so......you never know
Old 19th August 2017, 11:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
at London Film and Comic Con, there was a stall full of vintage posters and some of them were going for 3 digit sums, so......you never know
Sellers will always put their prices up at places like Comic Con as the market is right there before them.

You can get Fly originals for as little as a tenner depending on condition and which poster art it is. Same goes for Alien 3.

As i said there were a hell of a lot of them about,
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 19th August 2017, 01:05 PM
Ex-member

I did have quite a few film posters,Ones I remember were.....

He Knows Your'e Alone
Enter the Dragon
Halloween
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
Live and Let Die
The Man with the Golden Gun (which I hear is worth quite a bit now)
Alien
The Exorcist
Straw Dogs
Some old Carry On films.
and a lot more film memorabilia as well as non film stuff was up there.

We were in the middle of a move and some bugger decided to torch our house (luckily no one was in it at the time as we we all getting our new place ready ) and well you can guess how I felt.

Like this? Share it using the links below!