Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1960's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sjconstable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2013, 11:23 PM
Cultist

Default Kwaidan (1964)

"Black Hair": In ancient Kyoto, a samurai decides to leave his poor but beloved wife and become rich marrying a wealthy wife. He misses his loved wife, and years later, when he returns to her, he finds a surprise waiting for him. "The Woman in the Snow": And old and a young woodman are surprised by a snow storm, and the younger is saved by the spirit of a snow woman. He promises never telling what happened with him. Years later, he breaks his promise, telling the secret to his wife. "Hoichi the Earless": The blind Hoichi lives in a temple and magnificently plays his biwa and tells the sea battle of Dan-No-Ura between the clans of Genji and Heike. One night he is invited to perform his skills to a rich family and their guests in their house. "In a Cup of Tea": a samurai drinks water in a cup of tea, and he sees the soul of a former samurai. Later, he is haunted by the spirit

This film is a true classic & the sets & visuals are breath taking! out of the 4 storys "the woman in the snow" is by far my favourite! I have a tip for anyone planning on viewing this film, the film is about 3 hours long & the 3rd story IMO is pretty slow & kills the pace of the film & the first time i watched this the 4th story i didnt get into because the 3rd had annoyed me a bit SO i suggest just watching 1 segment a day OR skip the 3rd & save it for last ..... you will just have to trust me on this.
Old 26th May 2013, 01:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by klownz View Post
out of the 4 storys "the woman in the snow" is by far my favourite!
Mine too, and quite clearly influenced films like Ringu.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!