Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1960's

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th May 2010, 04:16 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthcott View Post
cheers for that info bdc,do you know where would be a good place to get this dvd-r (im assuming its not got an official release).I tend not to buy dvdrs that often and so dont know who is reliable
I really wish it had an official release!
I got it from a fellow collector.
I really don't know if this is available to buy anywhere.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I'm a big fan too (and also of Spanish gothic horror). I've also seen the majority of the titles on your list bdc. Long Hair of Death is one of my all time favourites.
Old 19th May 2010, 08:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've become a big fan of Barbara Steele as well while watching those golden age gothics.

Here's a bit of Steele from An Angel for Satan (taken from the French dvd)

Last edited by bdc; 19th May 2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 4th September 2010, 10:25 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Mostro Dell'Opera

Hey guys, I'm the Phantom Reviewer and I have my own YouTube / Blip channel where I review all movies based on Phantom of the Opera, even obscure spinoffs like Il Mostro Dell'Opera.

I got hold of this from a company called Tropic Twighlight, the only place I know of that has a copy.

I'll be reviewing this in full with lots of video clips next month, so go to http:\\phantomreviews.blip.tv from early September to see footage from this movie.
Old 5th September 2010, 08:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Hi Phantom Reviewer!
It's alternative title is Il vampiro dell'opera so you know what to expect.
Filmografia vampirica, Il vampiro dell'Opera (1964)
As far as I know there's no opera involved (except for the abandoned opera building) and it's part of the "dancers and vampires" trilogy Polselli started with L'amante del vampiro.
It's actually the last and best (imo) of the series.
Btw Polselli only directed the first and last film of this trilogy.
I'm sure you'll be impressed and will let the girl go.

"As legend has it, Polselli wanted to follow up L'AMANTE DEL VAMPIRO with another Gastaldi horror script, IL VAMPIRO DELL'OPERA, but the picture ran out of funding while shortly into production and was shelved. Polselli filled his time by moving on to a series of dramas -- including the Gastaldi-scripted ULTIMATUM ALLA VITA (1962) -- notable for the recurring presence of actor Antonio de Teffé, soon to adopt the nom d'ecran "Anthony Steffen." By 1963, Polselli's horror film had made its inroads around the world, and he found himself with the funding to continue his shelved project, which became the ill-fated IL MOSTRO DELL'OPERA (1964). Despite a promotional pictorial article that appeared in the pages of FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND, preparing its fanbase for the release of a picture called "THE VAMPIRE OF THE OPERA," no such picture ever materialized stateside, and the film managed no outside continental sales until it was acquired by a French distributor in 1969. IL MOSTRO DELL'OPERA circulates as a bootleg videotape taken from two different RAI-TV broadcasts, and it's worth seeing for its vintage B&W atmosphere, a surprisingly early lesbian subplot, and the early casting of one of my favorite character actresses: the delightfully quirky Milena Vukotic (BLOOD FOR DRACULA, HOUSE OF THE YELLOW CARPET, and LuÃ*s Buñuel's last three films)." (Tim Lucas)

Last edited by bdc; 5th September 2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 6th September 2010, 07:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Count me in as another fan of the Italian gothics.

Great thread and a great idea for future Shameless / Arrow releases. The Terror Of Dr Hitchcock would be a nice place to start!
Old 7th September 2010, 06:13 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Make that a double discer with a decent version (finally!) of The Ghost included!
Old 7th September 2010, 07:31 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Here's a link with some more info on Italian golden age gothic...
The Golden Age of Italian Horror
Btw some of the more obscure movies (like Psycosissimo and La donna seimmia) mentioned here don't really qualify as gothic horror and some movies (like the gialli) mentioned would only qualify as gothic influenced imo.
But I suppose that whoever made the list didn't know this at the time and had to rely on descriptions in books and reviews.

I also highly recommend the Latarnia forums (mentioned at the bottom of the page) as it's the only place I know of where golden age Italian horror is discussed in detail (amongst other fun but more obscure genres).
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Il Mostro Review!

Hi folks, sorry I forgot to post back here...

A while ago I released my full review of IL MOSTRO DELL'OPERA - you can see it at my blip site. Thats phantomreviews.blip. tv (sorry, stupid forum wont let me post direct links, you may have to browse my other episodes or search blip for phantom reviews mostro )

Most of the jokes and references are to do with Phantom of the Opera movies, as I am reviewing this as part of my ongoing series of reviews of every damned adaption of POTO ever, and in the process I came across this movie. A Italian horror version of POTO has been mentioned in a lot of books, but never named, so I can only assume its this one.

I have no subtitles, I dont speak Italian, so I have little idea of whats going on, so you get my honest , and often baffled, first opinions. Enjoy!
Old 23rd November 2010, 07:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

First off,there exist no subs or English versions of this movie!
I thought your video was funny (you obviously went for laughs and I understand that),also watched your previous one btw.
I obviously do not agree with The Phantom's statement that "this movie is anything but fine".
I presonally consider it a great early gothic from Polselli who unleashes his personal style here.
Btw there's no opera in the film,except for the building,the troupe of dancers are just rehearsing new routines in the old (no longer used) opera building.

Like this? Share it using the links below!