Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1960's

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2010, 10:10 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Default Golden Age Italian Gothic Horror (pre-1970)

Any fans of these kind of movies?
I'm a big fan myself...

Demoncrat likes this.

Last edited by bdc; 16th May 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 16th May 2010, 04:03 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yes, I'm a fan. Also a fan of Spanish Gothic horror too, especially the work of folks like Franco, Naschy, D'Ossorio etc.

My favourite Italian goth horror pre-1970 must surely be Margheriti's Castle of Blood, absolutely brilliant - although Bava's Kill Baby, Kill would be a very close second.
Old 16th May 2010, 07:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Nice to meet a another fan here!
Choosing a favorite would be impossible for me I'm afraid.
This is what I've watched so far (as far as I can remember).
I've tried to narrow my list to strictly gothic or heavily gothic influenced golden age.

I VAMPIRI di Riccardo Freda (The Vampires) Italian version
L'ULTIMA PREDA DEL VAMPIRO di Piero Regnoli ( Playgirls and the vampire ) US version
LA MASCHERA DEL DEMONIO di Mario Bava ( Black sunday ) Italian extended version + US version
IL MULINO DELLE DONNE DI PIETRA di Giorgio Ferroni ( Mill of the stone women ) Italian version
L'ORRIBILE SEGRETO DEL DOTTOR HICHCOCK di Ricardo Freda ( The horrible Dr Hichcock ) Italian tv version + longer Italian version
LA STRAGE DEI VAMPIRI di Roberto Mauri ( Slaughter of the vampires ) US version
LA CRIPTA E L' INCUBO di Camillo Mastrocinque ( Crypt of the vampire ) international version
LA FRUSTA E IL CORPO di Mario Bava ( The whip and the body ) international (composite?) version
HORROR di Alberto de Martino (The Blancheville Monster) US version + French version
METEMPSYCHO di Antonio Boccaci ( Tomb of torture ) US version
LO SPETTRO di Ricardo Freda ( The Ghost ) US version
I TRE VOLTI DELLA PAURA di Mario Bava ( Black sabbath,3 faces of fear ) Italian version + US version
LA VERGINE DI NORIMBERGA di Antonio Margheriti ( Virgin of Nuremberg ) Italian version
DANZA MACABRA di Antonio Margheriti ( Castle of blood ) Italian + French version
IL CASTELLO DEI MORTI VIVI di Luciano Ricci ( Castle of the living dead ) US version + Italian version
I LUNGHI CAPELLI DELLA MORTE di Antonio Margheriti ( Long hair of death ) Italian version
5 TOMBI PER UN MEDIUM di Massimo Pupillo ( Terror-creatures from the grave ) US version + UK version
AMANTI D'OLTRETOMBA di Mario Caiano ( The Faceless monster,Nightmare castle ) US Faceless monster version + Italian version
IL BOIA SCARLATTO di Massimo Pupillo ( Bloody pit of horror ) US version
OPERAZIONE PAURA di Mario Bava ( Kill baby kill ) Italian version
IL MOSTRO DI VENEZIA di Dino Tavella ( The Monster of Venice ) US version
UN ANGELO PER SATANA di Camillo Mastrocinque ( An angel for satan ) Italian version
IL ROSSO SEGNO DELLA FOLLIA di Mario Bava ( Hatchet for the honeymoon ) International? version
TEMPI DURI PER I VAMPIRI ( Uncle was a vampire ) German version
SEDDOK,L'EREDE DI SATANA ( Atom age vampire ) US version + longer French version
LA SORELLA DI SATANA (The she-beast) US version
LYCANTHROPUS ( Werewolf in a girl's dormitory ) US version
L'AMANTE DEL VAMPIRO di Renato Polselli ( The vampire and the ballerina ) Italian version
LA STREGA IN AMORE di Damiano Damiani ( The Witch ) US version
IL MOSTRO DELL' OPERA di Renato Polselli ( The vampire of the opera ) Italian tv version
LA VENDETTA DI LADY MORGAN di Massimo Pupillo (The vengeance of lady Morgan) Italian tv version
LA BAMBOLA DI SATANA di Ferruccio Casapinta ( The devil's doll ) Italian version
LA LAMA NEL CORPO di Elio Scardamaglia ( The murder clinic ) US version
SFIDA AL DIAVOLO di Giuseppe Veggezzi ( Challenge to the devil ) Italian version
CONTRONATURA di Antonio Margheriti ( The Unnaturals ) Italian version

Last edited by bdc; 19th May 2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 16th May 2010, 11:06 PM
Active Cultist

Great thread and thanks for posting your list, bdc. I've seen many on there but there's alot I haven't, so they will go on my 'to get' list.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:47 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've seen most of those on that list too - but a few have still eluded me thus far. Not only that, a fair few of them haven't been treated well on DVD, usually appearing from bootleg labels that are just poor VHS copies dumped on cheapo DVDs.
Old 17th May 2010, 08:03 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Ah, another fan!

Yep some are hard to find.
Seems from time to time a decent release pops up (for which I am very grateful)...

Last edited by bdc; 17th May 2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 17th May 2010, 06:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

YES! Big time! Love 'em!

Old 17th May 2010, 07:56 PM
Cult Rookie

IL MOSTRO DELL' OPERA di Renato Polselli ( The vampire of the opera ) Italian tv version

does anybody know if 'the vampire of the opera' has had any kind of a release?I have just watched noshames disc of polselli's 'vampire and the ballerina' and loved it.Polselli is seriously under represented on disc.
Didnt know whether you knew of any kind of a release,even good quality dvdr would make me part with cash.
Old 18th May 2010, 08:17 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The only available version is a composite of 2 tv airings.
The first part is not very good quality (10-15 mins) but the second part is much better.
Quality overall is not very good though (some drop-outs etc) but this is the only available version.
Also it's in Italian with no subs.
It's my favorite Polselli,fantastic over-the-top gothic!

Here's a pic

Old 18th May 2010, 04:02 PM
Cult Rookie

[QUOTE=bdc;79900]The only available version is a composite of 2 tv airings.
The first part is not very good quality (10-15 mins) but the second part is much better.
Quality overall is not very good though (some drop-outs etc) but this is the only available version.
Also it's in Italian with no subs.
It's my favorite Polselli,fantastic over-the-top gothic!

Here's a pic

cheers for that info bdc,do you know where would be a good place to get this dvd-r (im assuming its not got an official release).I tend not to buy dvdrs that often and so dont know who is reliable

Like this? Share it using the links below!