Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1960's

Poll: Classic?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Classic?

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th March 2011, 06:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default PEEPING TOM Michael Powell 1960

Michael Powell's PEEPING TOM.
What a classic eh?
As we all know,this film repulsed the critics and flung director Powell on the scrapheap.
The first time I laid eyes on this film was back in the '90's when Warner released it as part of their Terror Vision collection.I didn't quite know what to make of it and never watched it again until I bought it on DVD many years later.
Of course,I now consider it a classic of British film,a daring cinematic landmark,(Far more so than Hitchcock's Psycho IMO).
The garishly coloured filmstock,the sleaziness and the perfect performances make for a winner all round.

The Optimum Blu Ray which was released at the tail end of last year was superb,and a contender for disc of the year,and I don't say that lightly,considering some of the staggering releases that appeared last year.

Any fellow fans?

Do you rate it?

Discuss all things voyeuristic here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51RGXKN139L._SL500_AA300_.jpg (21.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 144023.1020.A.jpg (90.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 196271.1020.A.jpg (82.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 199003.1020.A.jpg (88.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 200901.1020.A.jpg (81.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 203270.1020.A.jpg (87.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 242349.1020.A.jpg (88.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 417773.1020.A.jpg (92.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 440280.1020.A.jpg (70.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 440283.1020.A.jpg (45.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 440284.1020.A.jpg (68.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 452225.1020.A.jpg (26.5 KB, 1 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th March 2011, 09:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Peeping Tom is a masterpiece of horror and one of my favourite genre films. I can see why some critics hated it as it does make you occasionally empathise with a psychopathic killer and realise that filmmaking is an obsession that could become dangerous, but it is a brilliant piece of direction and Leo Marks' screenplay is extremely intelligent.

The performances by Karl Boehm, Anna Massey and Moira Shearer are all superb and it should be considered, as directors including Martin Scorsese believe it to be, one of the finest horror films ever made.
Old 12th March 2011, 10:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Another favourite of mine. Extremely controversial when first released this is now (quite rightly) heralded as a classic piece of cinema.

While voyeurism was a pretty taboo subject to explore at the time, the way in which the subject matter is explored and executed is a testament both the Director and the writing.

It's such a shame Michael Powell's career never recovered after making it.

The Optimum/Studio Canal Blu-Ray is a must buy, too.
Old 12th March 2011, 10:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It is a fantastic disc which I reviewed some time ago -- it's definitely worth an upgrade from either the Criterion Collection release or the R2 Special Edition.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:03 AM
Cult Addict

I'm a big fan of this and Powell's other work. I especially like the scenes of Mark as a child and Powell as his father conducting experiments on him. I also really like the general seediness of the glamour photography scenes. They have a certain reserved grubbiness that is very English.
Old 13th March 2011, 12:32 AM
Cultist in Training

I had my reservations when I first went to watch Peeping Tom for the first time, turns out they were completely unfounded it and it is indeed superb. Theres just something about the combination of the postcard titilation combined with how dark it is. It really went for the buttoned down English gent with relish.

Carl Boehm's accent lifts his character outside of everyone around him even more, its never explained (with good reason, it was never meant to be there in the first place) but it adds so much that I could not watch the film without his Mark.
Old 14th March 2011, 08:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Mark generates sympathy in the viewer,until his facial expressions change when that camera starts whirring.

Yeah,as mentioned the grubiness IS very British.The garish colours and lighting used just add to it.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 14th March 2011, 10:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Isn't the first line the prostitutes saying "It'll be a quid"? Can't get much more seedier than that!
Old 14th March 2011, 11:10 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,a bargain to be sure!

I'll bet audiences were passing out at that in 1960!

Old 15th March 2011, 08:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It was probably lines like that that rubbed the critics up the wrong way which, with the lurid Eastmancolor photography, makes everything look enhanced and (in certain scenes) tacky and a little dirty. This was all done on purpose because there were areas of London that looked exactly like that but, as the critics hadn't been there, they reacted extremely badly.

It's a shame, but it's good to hear Thelma Schoonmaker say that Michael Powell never regretted making the film even though it irreparably damaged his career.

Like this? Share it using the links below!