Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > Before The 1970's > The 1960's

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th February 2012, 01:56 PM
Blogs Moderator

Default Dracula: Prince of Darkness

STUDIOCANAL

in association with HAMMER FILMS present

DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS

Fully restored, remastered and available on Blu-ray double play March 5.

Directed by Terence Fisher

Starring Christopher Lee With Barbara Shelley, Andrew Keir, Francis Matthews & Peter Latham

STUDIOCANAL are pleased to announce the fully restored HD release of iconic Hammer classic, DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS. The first in an ongoing collaboration with HAMMER to restore and re-release some of the most celebrated titles from their extensive library, DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS will be released on double play March 7th. Over the course of 2012 the project will see subsequent remastered HD releases of THE REPTILE and THE PLAGUE OF ZOMBIES in May, and THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK and THE MUMMY’S SHROUD later in the year in a continuation of STUDIOCANAL’s commitment to investing and restoring the best of British Cinema. Preceding the Home Entertainment release fans will be delighted to know the restored version of DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS will screen alongside THE REPTILE AND THE PLAGUE OF ZOMBIES at a special Frightfest Extra event in Glasgow February 16th and 17th.

The third in the landmark series, following HORROR OF DRACULA and BRIDES OF DRACULA, DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS features Christopher Lee’s much anticipated return to the role after many years of refusing to ‘resume the cape’, and as such is widely regarded as the true sequel to the original. It also features Hammer fan favourites Barbara Shelley (Village of The Damned, Quatermass and The Pit) and Andrew Keir (Quatermass and The Pit). Opening with a spectacular pre-titles sequence from HORROR OF DRACULA showing the climactic slaying of the count, the story begins ten years later with a group of unwary English travellers – Charles Kent (Francis Matthews, The Revenge of Frankenstein), his brother Alan (Charles Tingwell) and their wives Diana (Suzan farmer, Rasputin The Mad Monk) and Helen (Barbara Shelley) – journeying through the Carpathian woods. Foolishly ignoring the wise advice of gun-toting abbot, Father Sandor (Andrew Keir), the Kent’s spend a night at the infamous castle at Karlsbad, where a mysterious retainer named Klove (Phillip Latham) tends to their every need. Later that night Klove slaughters one guest in a bloodthirsty ritual to resurrect his vampire lord to feast on the living once more.

The remastered release is accompanied by a host of specially created new extras, produced in collaboration with Hammer expert and author Marcus Hear (author of “The Hammer Vault”) including a brand new making of featurette featuring interviews with original cast members

Notes on restoration

DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS has been restored in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 and scanned at 2K resolution from the original negatives stored at Pinewood Studios.

Extras
  • Audio commentary featuring Christopher Lee, Suzan Farmer, Francis Matthews and Barbara Shelley
  • World of Hammer episode “Hammer Stars: Christopher Lee”
  • Back To Black: The Making of Dracula Prince of Darkness
  • Super 8mm behind the scenes footage
  • Restoration comparison
  • Trailer
  • Double bill trailer
  • Original USA Titles
  • Original Print UK Theatrical titles
Old 16th February 2012, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

So excited for this release, doubt I'll be able to afford it on release day though because there's a new Iron Maiden BD/CD/DVD steelbook out in March too that I'll be buying in every format.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th February 2012, 02:17 PM
Blogs Moderator

Here's hoping Rik.

There's a tantalizing clip from the all new documentary to whet your appetite elsewhere in the Home of Hammer forum.
Old 16th February 2012, 02:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Cult Labs View Post
Here's hoping Rik.

There's a tantalizing clip from the all new documentary to whet your appetite elsewhere in the Home of Hammer forum.
Sod it, after watching that I'm pre-ordering!
Sam@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 16th February 2012, 03:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I already have it pre-ordered, which is actually quite rare for me but I sold my DVD pretty much as soon as I heard and it's just one of those films I cannot do without for long. Lord knows how many times I've watched it!
Sam@Cult Labs and Daemonia like this.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
I already have it pre-ordered, which is actually quite rare for me but I sold my DVD pretty much as soon as I heard and it's just one of those films I cannot do without for long. Lord knows how many times I've watched it!
I'm watching it right now, never get tired of the Hammer Dracula/Frankenstein films
Old 16th February 2012, 03:20 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm really glad the commentary and Super 8 stuff is on there. It was always the hardest part of letting my ABUS DVD go in favour of the anamorphic and improved Optimum DVD.
Old 16th February 2012, 05:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I'm really looking forward to this one - I've had it on pre-order since the beginning of December.

Studio Canal did a great job with Quatermass, so I'm confident that this classic is in good hands.
Old 16th February 2012, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Superb-and may it be the first of many!

Let's hope many fans snap this up and show Studio Canal that the demand for Hammer HD is HIGH!

Also had this booked since it was announced!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th February 2012, 07:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Review has just been posted over at DVD Times:

Dracula: Prince of Darkness | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!