Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   The Wicker Man: Conversations with Robin Hardy, Anthony Shaffer & Edward Woodward (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/10322-wicker-man-conversations-robin-hardy-anthony-shaffer-edward-woodward.html)

StephenApplebaum 8th January 2013 07:35 PM

The Wicker Man: Conversations with Robin Hardy, Anthony Shaffer & Edward Woodward

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

2013 marks the 40th anniversary of one of the all-time great cult films, The Wicker Man.

Directed by Robin Hardy and written by Anthony Shaffer, the film offers a unique blend of horror, mystery and music, as Christianity and Paganism clash on an island off the coast of Scotland.

The film's production was as extraordinary as the film itself. In my new e-book, The Wicker Man: Conversations with Robin Hardy, Anthony Shaffer & Edward Woodward, I bring together my extensive interviews with the director, writer and star, to create a fascinating and revealing - even occasionally contradictory - look at what went on behind the scenes.

Learn about the real reason why Ingrid Pitt was cast and how the filmmakers got around Britt Ekland's refusal to let them shoot her full-length from behind, as she danced naked, in the film's notorious seduction scene.

Read, too, the truth about Woodward's impassioned performance during the dramatic climactic scene atop a cliff and the horrified film company's attempt to bury the movie.

Available through Amazon, Smashwords and iTunes, The Wicker Man: Conversations with Robin Hardy, Anthony Shaffer & Edward Woodward is essential reading for fans of the 1973 classic and anyone interested in filmmaking and cult cinema.

I hope you enjoy reading the interviews as much as I enjoyed doing them. Even if you don't, drop me a line to let me know your thoughts.

Best
Stephen Applebaum

Rik 8th January 2013 07:44 PM

I think you'll find many fans on here regarding this, me included :)

it'smebilly 8th January 2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenApplebaum (Post 310210)
Hi,

2013 marks the 40th anniversary of one of the all-time great cult films, The Wicker Man.

Directed by Robin Hardy and written by Anthony Shaffer, the film offers a unique blend of horror, mystery and music, as Christianity and Paganism clash on an island off the coast of Scotland.

The film's production was as extraordinary as the film itself. In my new e-book, The Wicker Man: Conversations with Robin Hardy, Anthony Shaffer & Edward Woodward, I bring together my extensive interviews with the director, writer and star, to create a fascinating and revealing - even occasionally contradictory - look at what went on behind the scenes.

Learn about the real reason why Ingrid Pitt was cast and how the filmmakers got around Britt Ekland's refusal to let them shoot her from behind as she danced naked in the film's notorious seduction scene.

Read, too, about Woodward's impassioned performance during the dramatic climactic scene atop a cliff and the horrified film company's attempt to bury the movie.

Available through Amazon, Smashwords and iTunes, The Wicker Man: Conversations with Robin Hardy, Anthony Shaffer & Edward Woodward is essential reading for fans of the 1973 classic and anyone interested in filmmaking and cult cinema.

I hope you enjoy reading the interviews as much as I enjoyed doing them. Even if you don't, drop me a line to let me know your thoughts.

Best
Stephen Applebaum

Nice. I'll be getting this for definite. I love the wicker man, watched the DVD last night in fact.

This anniversary year would be the ideal time to release wicker man on BD. Although I can imagine it being a problematic title to go through the whole HD process.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

StephenApplebaum 8th January 2013 08:16 PM

Thanks guys.
Pat Holden, director of When the Lights Went Out, said he learned some new things reading it. Hopefully you will, too. At the very least I hope there's a fresh take on some aspects of the film.
The book also includes a short appreciation by Eli Roth.
Would be great to hear people's opinions, suggestions, etc. This is my first e-book, so it's a learning curve.

bgart13 8th January 2013 08:29 PM

Interesting, thanks for notifying us. I'm actually in the midst of trying to look into some film elements that could contain some footage from the original cut (instead of the vhs sourced footage on dvd), with the assistance of someone out West (who has connections with a bigwig at Sony that could provide further assistance should things pan out positively). Hopefully things turn out to help move a new HD sourced version along this year or so.

StephenApplebaum 8th January 2013 08:37 PM

That would be fantastic. Please let me know how you go.

Culture Vulture 8th January 2013 09:03 PM

Will a physical copy be published? Can only find it as an ebook...

Will definitely buy a copy for myself, and copies for mates!

StephenApplebaum 8th January 2013 09:18 PM

Hi,

Just an ebook. I would probably need to expand it if I were to also do it as a physical copy, I'm not sure. This is something I need to look into when I do future books.

Hope you find it interesting.

StephenApplebaum 12th January 2013 07:37 PM

Smashwords best place to buy book. Contains minor revision to intro.

StephenApplebaum 20th January 2013 01:25 PM

Anyone read the book?

Hi

Has anyone read the book? Would be great to get feedback, of any kind.

Cheers
Stephen