Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree333Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th March 2013, 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

There is also a pretty informative giallo thread on here, too
Old 28th March 2013, 06:23 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
There is also a pretty informative giallo thread on here, too
Good call! http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/euro...lo-thread.html
Old 28th March 2013, 06:54 PM
Active Cultist

[Double Post]

Would you guys consider John Waters' films of the 70s as horror? I haven't actually seen any of them, but I've read quite a good deal about them. I want to watch them, but right now I'm trying to limit my viewing to things that are eligible in this poll.
Old 28th March 2013, 06:56 PM
Cultist

They're definitely not horror despite all of them having murder and Pink Flamingos particularly having some murder / cannibalism. They are all pretty horrible and an acquired taste, but also hilarious! I love em. Start with Pink Flamingos, it's closest to horror . . .
Old 28th March 2013, 06:59 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin View Post
[Double Post]

Would you guys consider John Waters' films of the 70s as horror? I haven't actually seen any of them, but I've read quite a good deal about them. I want to watch them, but right now I'm trying to limit my viewing to things that are eligible in this poll.
After Frankie's post, I'm tempted to add Pink Flamingos to my list. A vast majority of Waters' films indeed deal with the horrific, so I'd certainly say that some could be considered representative of the horror genre... but as I've mentioned many times before, it's all down to personal opinion/interpretation.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:07 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
After Frankie's post, I'm tempted to add Pink Flamingos to my list. A vast majority of Waters' films indeed deal with the horrific, so I'd certainly say that some could be considered representative of the horror genre... but as I've mentioned many times before, it's all down to personal opinion/interpretation.
I'm definitely going to watch it now, I've heard many .....things about it.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin View Post
[Double Post]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGunnar Hansen View Post
They're definitely not horror despite all of them having murder and Pink Flamingos particularly having some murder / cannibalism. They are all pretty horrible and an acquired taste, but also hilarious! I love em. Start with Pink Flamingos, it's closest to horror . . .
Quote:
Pink Flamingos is likely to appear on my list, I do think it is important to include stuff you feel is horror that is often neglected, most people expect horror to be straight up murder, gore, ghosts or creatures but horror is a genre that should just simply shock and disgust and does John Waters do that, yes? Now what shocks and disgusts you is quite personal (these days it's just blood blood blood), I know a lot of members here would consider Twilight, High School Musical, etc. shocking and disgusting for other reasons. This film could easily have been darker but it's wry. To me it's a very important film.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have Shaun Hutson's Horror Film Quiz Book from the early 90's and in his description of Horror films, he points out that Apocalypse Now should be classed as Horror, due to the subject matter and therefore adds a few questions regarding it in his book (also for the Godfather and Taxi Driver too I seem to remember)
troggi likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th March 2013, 07:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Pink Flamingos is likely to appear on my list, I do think it is important to include stuff you feel is horror that is often neglected, most people expect horror to be straight up murder, gore, ghosts or creatures but horror is a genre that should just simply shock and disgust and does John Waters do that, yes? Now what shocks and disgusts you is quite personal (these days it's just blood blood blood), I know a lot of members here would consider Twilight, High School Musical, etc. shocking and disgusting for other reasons. This film could easily have been darker but it's wry. To me it's a very important film.
A well reasoned argument.
Old 28th March 2013, 07:18 PM
Cultist

For some reason the murder sequence in The Conversation is so frightening to me that I'd include it as a horror film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!