Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree333Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th March 2013, 02:28 PM
Active Cultist

Default Best Horror Films Of The 70s Poll

Do you remember the poll for the 80s? Yes? Okay, well we are doing that again, but with the 70s.

Here's what happens:

- You send in a ballot of your top x (ballot sizes can vary from as low as 15 up to as high as 100) favorite horror films of the 1970s (using IMDB as the official reference point)

- I tally up the votes

- I post the list

- We all enjoy

The due date to send in your list is June 15th. The first day I'll start accepting ballots is June 1st.

The reason the due date is three months away is to give you time to watch anything you think has a chance to make your list. For instance, I really need to watch Hausu.

I view the 80s list as a success, but I'd like to increase the number of voters from that poll. We had 12 on that one, let's see if we can't get that number up to around 20. Even if that means annoying people into submission

Let's start talking about 70s horror now.
Old 15th March 2013, 04:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

A period with quite a few gems. My all-time number one is "A Bay Of Blood" - Bava's Slasher blueprint.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
dis, platostotal and trebor8273 like this.
Old 15th March 2013, 04:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Halloween but there will be many more
dis likes this.
Old 15th March 2013, 04:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Halloween but there will be many more
Halloween's indeed a brilliant film. Almost no blood or violence at all, and yet it scares the shit out of you.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 15th March 2013, 05:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

It feels like pretty much all of my favourite horror films are from the seventies, so I should have a fun time with this list . . .
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 15th March 2013, 05:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
It feels like pretty much all of my favourite horror films are from the seventies, so I should have a fun time with this list . . .
Me too - I think a Top 100 will be likely...
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 15th March 2013, 05:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Me too - I think a Top 100 will be likely...
I was thinking the same.
Old 15th March 2013, 05:41 PM
Active Cultist

Perhaps the greatest decade of horror films. Seems like good horror films were coming from everywhere about everything in the 70s. The Exorcist makes me my pants. Suspiria oozes style, and will probably forever remain my favorite Argento. Eraserhead puts your head in a blender and you love it even more for it. Zombie is even better than the movie it ripped off in order to get viewers, and it is still my favorite Fulci out of the limited number I've seen. The Last House on the Left is even better than the Bergman movie that inspires it. Carrie is a lot of fun and Sissy Spacek is yet to do a better job since. Halloween turned Jamie Lee Curtis into the scream queen of the early 80s, which lead to us seeing her without her top. Thank you, Halloween. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre has one of the scariest opening kills I've ever seen, and it doesn't get any less intense after that. Dawn of the Dead is the best movie to ever take place in a mall? I don't like it as much as Night or Day, but on its own it's still a very solid zombie flick. Romero might have tried a little too hard with the political message in this one though, it wasn't as effective critiquing consumerism as Night did racism. Equinox is called so bad it's good by some, but I'll go a step further than that. Equinox is so good it's good. Sure, the acting isn't great. It's lower than low budget. But you can feel how hard they worked on this film. The love they put into it is apparent, and the special effects are actually really well done. It's not Citizen Kane or The Godfather or even Jurassic Park, but damn if I didn't fall in love with it.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 15th March 2013, 05:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

A top 10 to whet some appetites...

1. The Wicker Man (1973)
2. Alien (1979)
3. Eraserhead (1977)
4. Black Christmas (1974)
5. Martin (1977)
6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
7. Hausu (1977)
8. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
9. Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970)
10. Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

I was in two minds whether to include PAHR. I may remove it later if my mind changes (again).
trebor8273 and jhippyfro like this.
Old 15th March 2013, 06:15 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
A top 10 to whet some appetites...

1. The Wicker Man (1973)
2. Alien (1979)
3. Eraserhead (1977)
4. Black Christmas (1974)
5. Martin (1977)
6. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
7. Hausu (1977)
8. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
9. Hatchet for the Honeymoon (1970)
10. Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

I was in two minds whether to include PAHR. I may remove it later if my mind changes (again).
I'm not as high on Picnic as you are, but I'll definitely have it in my list somewhere.

I'm also curious to see how Jaws will do in this poll. In any other forum, it would be a lock for top 5.

Like this? Share it using the links below!