Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2010, 07:56 PM
Cult Rookie

Probably just me...but despite my passionate and seasoned embrace of the horror film...

...the scene where the housekeeper is drooling and gobbling up her rice dinner....intercut with scenes of the bubbly acid bath body disposal...makes my stomach turn!!!!!

Seriously...I have a major hang-up with this scene!

Despite D'Amato's excesses with fetus-chomping ANTHROPOPHAGOUS & head-baking ABSURD...this is his ultimate moment!

Needless to say....I've never eaten rice since!!!!!!
Old 26th April 2010, 01:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

You gotta love D'Amato, even the corpses in his films have to get naked at some point.

Beyond the Darkness is a strange little film with its themes of madness, murder and a necrophilic love affair. I thought it was nicely done and a pretty good movie overall. Gorehounds will probably be disappointed, but the subject matter is sick enough to make it worth a look - at least for the likes of us. I like it's offbeat vibe. But if I had to pick a favourite D'Amato, it would probably be Death Smiled at Murder, a neat little Giallo-esque horror. Now there's a film Shameless/Arrow should at least consider.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th June 2010, 11:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I first watched Buio Omega ten years ago when I found I could import uncut DVDs of horro movies that I hadn' t been able to get hold of previously. I wasn't overly impressed although the acid bath sequence is very well done. It's also creepy in the same way Romero's Martin is, as it deals with a guy who seems ok on the surface but hides a gory past time
Old 3rd August 2010, 07:24 AM
Cult Rookie

I ordered the Blu-ray/DVD combo from AxelMusic today, who indicate the release Region A locked. Will keep you posted when I have received this nice D'Amato movie.

Update: Item pushed back till the 21st of September according to AxelMusic.

Last edited by lazertron; 3rd August 2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 4th August 2010, 05:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

i own this flick,but not got round to watching it yet! got a few ive not watched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have had a quick look and from what ive seen it looks o.k,but nothing special?
time will tell.
Old 4th August 2010, 07:01 PM
Active Cultist

its ok,not a film i would watch out of choice/when bored,like his horror movies (not counting absurd)its very slow paced
Old 6th August 2010, 09:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer time View Post
its ok,not a film i would watch out of choice/when bored,like his horror movies (not counting absurd)its very slow paced

I agree. Not a movie that's worth watching twice, despite the interesting score.
Old 6th August 2010, 02:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
I agree. Not a movie that's worth watching twice, despite the interesting score.
I don't agree at all, I think Beyond the Darkness is a classic among Italian gore flicks that's well worth watching more than once.I wouldn't bother with a Blu-ray release but I've watched my Shriek Show DVD a few times and love the weird atmosphere of the film and the Goblin score.
Jani and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 12th August 2010, 09:02 PM
Cultist

One of my favourite Italian horror movies.
Jani likes this.
Old 14th July 2011, 10:26 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched this as a back-to-back with ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST last weekend. This was definitely the classier movie of the two. Thought it had an excellent setting in the Italian Alps, and the creepy house, as well as an interesting, but a very twisted story which led to some pretty cool gore-FX. I'll have to check out ANTHROPOPHAGOUS for certain. Oh and the Goblin score was excellent!!

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Like this? Share it using the links below!