Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   The Devils (1971) (Ken Russell) Discussion Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/156-devils-1971-ken-russell-discussion-thread.html)

Rik 1st October 2011 09:17 AM

Done!

Violence is Italian Art

DeadAlive 1st October 2011 01:46 PM

Signed. But I won't hold my breath. WB are not usually swayed by public demand. :tsk:

napalm-in-the-morning 14th October 2011 09:47 AM

Japanese Laserdisc

YET ANOTHER VIDEO RELEASE OF KEN RUSSELL'S "THE DEVILS" SURFACES - Celebrating Films of the 1960s & 1970s

a Japanese laser disc release from 1991 in pan-and-scan format. The running time of this version is 109 minutes..."

The Limey 10th November 2011 10:12 PM

Ken Russell's The Devils - March 2012 on DVD

Disappointingly no Blu-ray but The Devils is FINALLY to get a release on DVD at long last in the UK - courtesy of the BFI:

Quote:

There are a few things I can't reveal yet, like the extras (though there'll be plenty) - but yes, after much arm-twisting the BFI has indeed persuaded Warner Bros to let them handle The Devils, and a packed two-disc lovingly-curated special edition will be out next March.

I'll get the bad news out of the way right now: as already spotted, it's DVD only, and it's the 1971 British theatrical cut, not the 2004 restoration. Since BFI DVD Publishing is demonstrably run by Blu-ray evangelists and has a policy of sourcing the longest available version of the films they put out, you probably don't need to live at 221B Baker Street to work out the reasons for this.

But that really does appear to be all the bad news. I've seen the full specs, and it looks like an absolute blinder of a release - and hopefully all will be revealed in a matter of days.
• View topic - The Devils (Ken Russell, 1971)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th November 2011 10:25 PM

Well done to the BFI! :clap:

If this isn't a windup......

Let's HOPE the BFI have some NICE artwork lined up and not their usual offerings....:fear:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th November 2011 10:33 PM

I heard about this earlier on, but couldn't find a source - thanks The Limey. :)

AT LAST this classic is getting an official UK DVD (and hopefully future BD) release! :happy:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th November 2011 10:33 PM

One of British cinema's masterpieces!:nod:

Pete 10th November 2011 10:35 PM

Never seen it so i'm looking forward to this release.

The Limey 11th November 2011 06:30 AM

Let's hope that Arrow can work a similar spell with Paramount and get The Keep released too....

mark meakin 11th November 2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 196764)
Never seen it so i'm looking forward to this release.

An excellent film that improves with age.Hopefully it's in its 2:35.1 aspect ratio unlike the 90s Warner video release of the 'X' certificate print.Shame that Warner seems unwilling to allow them to use the 'Rape Of Christ' footage even now as an extra:crazy:.You should like the film Pete & it's a visual treat too.