Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2011, 09:07 AM
Active Cultist

A good film is always a good film.
The Devils was a classic in it's Warner VHS cut form and it'll still be a classic when it's released on a blu-ray director's cut.
Old 16th November 2011, 02:07 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxxx1 View Post
A good film is always a good film.
The Devils was a classic in it's Warner VHS cut form and it'll still be a classic when it's released on a blu-ray director's cut.
thats when I first saw THE DEVILS, on the old cut Warner vhs
I would only call it a REAL CLASSIC if it was UNCUT, which is what we are all hoping for but alas...
but us adults aren't allowed to watch blasphemy etc
Old 16th November 2011, 05:43 PM
Active Cultist

Apocalypse Now is a worse film in it's directors cut, as is Star Wars.
At least Ken Russell is a director who can be relied upon, given the chance, to restore The Devils to his original vision and not just for modern commercial reasons.
Old 16th November 2011, 05:55 PM
Ex-member

Default The Devils (1971) (Ken Russell) Discussion Thread

I'm very sure, given the opportunity to see THE DEVILS uncut on dvd would please Russell very much, as he has always argued against censorship
Old 16th November 2011, 06:43 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxxx1 View Post
Apocalypse Now is a worse film in it's directors cut, as is Star Wars.
At least Ken Russell is a director who can be relied upon, given the chance, to restore The Devils to his original vision and not just for modern commercial reasons.
You not heard mate?

We're getting CGI altered pubic areas on the nuns,as '70's beards are just not fashionable today......

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th November 2011, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
I have PM'd Michael on another forum inviting him to this thread.
...and here I am!

But on reading the thread, I'm not sure I can answer any questions that haven't already been answered - or at least ones which are currently answerable.

A couple of points, though:

1. I'm not "from the BFI", and so nothing I write here should be regarded as any kind of official statement. Because I'm contributing two booklet pieces to The Devils (a short Oliver Reed biog and a piece on Amelia and the Angel) and know the people behind the project well, I have slightly more authority on the subject than the average forum punter - but that's pretty much it.

2. Just to head off the most obvious question, I have absolutely no idea what the artwork will look like, and suspect I'll get my first look at the same time that everyone else does.

But feel free to run anything else by me.
Old 20th November 2011, 07:53 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Welcome to Cult Labs: Michael. I'm sure they'll be plenty of questions heading away - I'm going to think of some now!
Old 20th November 2011, 10:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Michael,

Thanks for joining the thread. I have a quick question and that is has anyone had a chance yet to view the materials that Warner are providing?
If so any thoughts?
Old 20th November 2011, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
Michael,

Thanks for joining the thread. I have a quick question and that is has anyone had a chance yet to view the materials that Warner are providing?
If so any thoughts?
The producer of the DVD has seen the Warner-supplied SD Digibeta master, and says that it looks pretty stunning - on visual grounds alone, this will be by far the best that The Devils has looked on video to date, albeit obviously falling short of the HD ideal.

It's probably a reasonably safe bet that the same master was the source for most of the footage of the 2004 version, as that was created on Digibeta - in which case I can completely endorse that description based on what I saw in NFT1 seven years ago. Although I could tell that it was sourced from video (there were telltale jaggies around the sharp edges of Derek Jarman's sets), it really did look remarkably good, especially considering that it was SD video.

And I can certainly confirm that it will be in the correct aspect ratio and anamorphically enhanced - I know this stuff should be absolutely basic in this day and age, but a couple of people have expressed legitimate concerns about this on the basis that the UK cinema cut has only previously been shown in a cropped-to-16:9 version (on both VHS and TV).
mark meakin and The Limey like this.
Old 21st November 2011, 01:01 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
You not heard mate?

We're getting CGI altered pubic areas on the nuns,as '70's beards are just not fashionable today......
And as a mark of respect to Ollie Reed, they've CGI'd him out and replaced him with a CGI Tom Cruise.

They've also renamed it. It's now called Top Nun.

I'll see myself out....

Like this? Share it using the links below!