Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th May 2013, 06:25 PM
Cultist in Training

Default The devils 2 disc edition

Thinking of getting this as I loved the film but I believe that I have only seen a cut version, does anyone know if the 2 disc version (currently on Amazon UK) is truly uncut and is the picture any good? as there are some bad reviews on the quality. Better still is there an uncut BD?
Old 20th May 2013, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Firstly, the picture quality is outstanding for standard definition, probably one of the best DVDs I've seen.

It isn't fully uncut, as far as I'm aware there isn't an uncut version (perhaps there's a few dodgy bootleg edits floating about). It's the original BBFC 'X' certificate, the 'Rape Of Christ' scene isn't included in either the film or the Hell On Earth documentary. There is no BD, and it's very unlikely that one will ever be released, it's also very unlikely that it will be released 'uncut', I'm not sure it's even possible. The BFI release is the definitive edition as far as I'm concerned, I seriously doubt it will be bettered while WB still own the rights.

It's a fantastic release and one that I thoroughly recommend.
Old 20th May 2013, 06:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispyduck View Post
Thinking of getting this as I loved the film but I believe that I have only seen a cut version, does anyone know if the 2 disc version (currently on Amazon UK) is truly uncut and is the picture any good? as there are some bad reviews on the quality. Better still is there an uncut BD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
Firstly, the picture quality is outstanding for standard definition, probably one of the best DVDs I've seen.

It isn't fully uncut, as far as I'm aware there isn't an uncut version (perhaps there's a few dodgy bootleg edits floating about). It's the original BBFC 'X' certificate, the 'Rape Of Christ' scene isn't included in either the film or the Hell On Earth documentary. There is no BD, and it's very unlikely that one will ever be released, it's also very unlikely that it will be released 'uncut', I'm not sure it's even possible. The BFI release is the definitive edition as far as I'm concerned, I seriously doubt it will be bettered while WB still own the rights.

It's a fantastic release and one that I thoroughly recommend.
Warner Bros will never allow the uncut version to ever be released on DVD or Blu-Ray because of rape of christ scene. It was shown completely uncut at the BFI South Bank in a one off screening which was introduced by Mark Kermode with Ken Russell in attendance. It was one of his last public appearances before his death. Frankenhooker is right, the BFI edition is the Definitive release.
Old 20th May 2013, 07:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/brit...on-thread.html

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/20th...n-russell.html

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th May 2013, 07:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Can a mod merge these threads.
Old 20th May 2013, 07:11 PM
Cultist in Training

Thanks guys, this will be next on my shopping list.

Reaper man, thanks for the pointer, sorry still trying to navigate round this site

Mods feel free to delete this thread now I have info
Old 15th October 2013, 05:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

guys i have a few questions regarding the devils but one that's strange at the moment is why would WB tell the BFI that they can't release 'The Devils' on Blu-Ray?? this seems to be an odd request?
Old 15th October 2013, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

You'll have to ask them - it was their decision, and they haven't gone public on the reasons.
Vipp likes this.
Old 15th October 2013, 05:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
You'll have to ask them - it was their decision, and they haven't gone public on the reasons.
Do we know any insiders? im sure i could sent and email but i'm more sure they would ignore it. lol. I wonder if it's because they would need to offer the original negatives up for transfer to blu-ray?
Old 15th October 2013, 06:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
Do we know any insiders? im sure i could sent and email but i'm more sure they would ignore it. lol. I wonder if it's because they would need to offer the original negatives up for transfer to blu-ray?
I doubt very much that that was the reason.

You have to bear in mind that there were two contractual stipulations - no Blu-ray release and no "rape of Christ" footage. In other words, it's vanishingly unlikely that this was anything to do with money or materials access.

(Although, that said, a Blu-ray of anything longer than the British cinema cut would need a fair bit of work, as the 2004 extended version has only ever existed on SD video - all its public screenings have been a projection off Digibeta.)
Vipp likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!