Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   The Devils (1971) (Ken Russell) Discussion Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/156-devils-1971-ken-russell-discussion-thread.html)

VideoFluffyBunny 29th February 2008 08:37 AM

The Devils (1971) (Ken Russell) Discussion Thread

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-devils.html

"The unrated edition (111 minutes) of the 1971 film The Devils which stars Vanessa Redgrave, Oliver Reed, and Dudley Sutton. The Ken Russell directed horror will be available to own from the 20th May, and should retail at around $19.99. As far as we know, no extra material will be included. If that changes, we will of course let you know".

"Originally rated X, this film combines historical, comedic, and surrealistic elements to tell a tale of politics and witchcraft. In order to take over pre-rennaisance France, Cardinal Richelieu and his power-hungry followers will have to eliminate Father Grandier. Grandier controls the one town that keeps Richelieu from having total control of the region. The plan is to convince the townspeople that Grandier is a warlock and that all of his nuns are possessed by devils. The accusations are heard at a public trial - whose results may surprise you."

I have a feeling this will be the one we have all been waiting for ,a 2 Disc Set and containing (amongst others ) the CH4 Documentary,a Ken Russell Commentary and scenes not included in the cinema version (Rape of Christ etc ).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd March 2008 08:11 PM

It's been cancelled by the arses at warner mate:mad:

vincenzo 2nd March 2008 09:16 PM

I've still got the Maverick Directors VHS thankfully which will (still!) have to suffice until WB get their bloody finger out with this film. Surely they must see by now just what a popular seller this would be?

A restored print (including the now-rediscovered Rape Of Christ and the climactic tibia bone masturbation scenes) is looong overdue.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th March 2008 07:26 PM

Damn right my friend-I've got that version on disc-time for a decent version-artwork planned was shite though:mad:

vincenzo 5th March 2008 09:38 PM

Yes I agree. The planned sleeve was a disaster. Even the WB Vanessa Redgrave VHS cover was better than that.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th March 2008 11:33 PM

Any updates on this?

Marc Morris 28th March 2008 05:24 PM

Warner will not be issuing THE DEVILS any time soon.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st April 2008 04:56 PM

Tossers!:mad: ....Oh well,maybe It'll give them time to reflect on that 'Christian love' -like dvd artwork -what a ****ing disappointment that was:(

steve 10th April 2008 07:17 PM

It's madness that it's been cancelled, it's such a powerful film and should be seen. Surely it's time people should be able to make up their own minds about it?

HunterBFH 27th April 2008 03:27 PM

I would like to obtain this film in its FULL and uncut version on official DVD release!..when ever if this going to be released in the future!:)

vincenzo 27th April 2008 06:25 PM

Could be quite a while yet I'm afraid. The Maverick Directors VHS (UK cinema version) is going to be the nearest we get for now. :(

Mansonsblood 28th April 2008 10:43 AM

A release for this one is long overdue. Its an out and out classic of cinema.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th April 2008 05:38 PM

You may have heard me moaning about this before,Grant......;)

Marc Morris 28th April 2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

It's madness that it's been cancelled, it's such a powerful film and should be seen. Surely it's time people should be able to make up their own minds about it?
It wasn't cancelled - it was never on the Warner release schedule.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th April 2008 05:48 PM

Ah......marc,nice to see you again........:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2009 10:29 PM

Anyone got any inside info on a THE DEVILS release for this year?
Almar,heard owt mate?:(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve (Post 2375)

If films like CALIGULA can be released uncut,then THE DEVILS should be a walk in the park.....I wonder what Warner's problem is?:mad:

vincenzo 22nd January 2009 10:36 PM

The problem is Warners themselves. The BBFC would have no problems passing The Devils whatsoever and even Ferman pushed to get the original UK cinema print released on video back in 1997 (the previous video was the incomprehensible edited U.S print).

A tremendous film and without doubt Oliver Reed's greatest performance.

mark meakin 23rd January 2009 01:16 PM

Damn my hopes were raised (& dashed !)when this thread was resurrected !:(

Jock Mooney 1st February 2009 01:50 PM

The Devils

Hello... I'm SURE this film by Ken will have been mentioned elsewhere on here, but I just need to scream at the top of my voice 'FOR ****'S SAKE... RELEASE THIS FILM'.

Warners (?) have it restored and remastered and are too scared to put it out...any chance Shameless can? I realise that the rights would cost a FORTUNE, but a region 0 release would be a sure fire sell out world wide. Go on!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd February 2009 06:28 PM

Warner's need a rocket up their arse for this....:mad:

vincenzo 2nd February 2009 09:36 PM

or an anal syringing from Father Barre..... http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...ilies/ack2.gif http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...es/biggrin.gif

Echoes 27th March 2009 02:18 PM

Ken Russells The Devils

Looks like a Director's Cut of the film The Devils has been aquired along with a Making of Documentary.

Link To Original Announcement

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th March 2009 06:24 AM

Music to my ears-hopefully they'll ditch that planned shite artwork from last time around.....:ack:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th March 2009 10:34 PM

SURELY this should appear on Warner's radar this year? Anyone know owt?

Acid Christ 2nd April 2009 01:48 PM

vhs to dvd copy

Anyone wanting a copy of this drop us a mail:D

Almar@Cult Labs 2nd April 2009 09:41 PM

Let's avoid offering copies of stuff on here please or I'll play the FACT copying warning ad over and over until eyes start to bleed! And nobody deserves that!

Acid Christ 2nd April 2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless/Cult Labs (Post 24971)
Let's avoid offering copies of stuff on here please or I'll play the FACT copying warning ad over and over until eyes start to bleed! And nobody deserves that!

sorry if any offence occured:blush:

vincenzo 2nd April 2009 10:28 PM

No worries AC. The film isn't yet available on DVD.

Almar@Cult Labs 2nd April 2009 10:29 PM

You've given this some thought I see Vince!

vincenzo 2nd April 2009 10:31 PM

Call me vain and proud. The greatest sinner ever to walk God's earth. But Satan's boy I could never be.

:D

Stefan@Cult Labs 2nd April 2009 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless/Cult Labs (Post 24971)

Nobody deserves that, except me of course, every time I visit. Or so it seems! :ack:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd April 2009 10:39 PM

The Shameless warning at the start of every disc is rather amusing...who came up with that?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd April 2009 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The DEVILS '09 protestors descend upon Warner's offices......:D

Almar@Cult Labs 2nd April 2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefan@Shameless (Post 24984)
Nobody deserves that, except me of course, every time I visit. Or so it seems! :ack:

You beg for me to play the warnings!

Pete 6th April 2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 24990)
The DEVILS '09 protestors descend upon Warner's offices......:D

With Reaps at the front.:D But what would you do to get Night of the Demon released? Start a war?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2009 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd prefer THE DEVILS and I just bought this on Amazon......:woot:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th July 2009 08:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice one reaps. I have a similar version to that... wish they'd pull their fingers out and release it properly! :mad:

P-Mac 29th January 2010 07:33 PM

Is this film ever going to be released on DVD?

Warner are really taking the piss. Russell has already recorded a commentary, and even Mark Kermode is desperate to see it on DVD.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th January 2010 09:29 PM

Taking the piss big time P!

One of the greatest British films of the Seventies.....:mad: