Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2009, 02:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

The first time i bought a copy of Intervision's Dawn VHS was back in the mid-late '90s when i was still buying LDs.

I was a regular customer at the one time Bill Hutchinson Hi-Fi shop in Clayton Street and purchased many of my fave titles via 'under the counter' transactions. Some time later the outlet received a visit from Trading Standards and the staff got their wrists slapped and shortly before this occasion i paid a visit and couldn't believe my eyes when i caught sight of the Dawn pre-cert sitting on a shelf behind the counter. Plain as day and obviously not the sort of thing you expect to find in a Hi-Fi retailer in the '90s!

I made a discreet enquiry as to the VHS tape in my sights and the staff member who owned it told me he wanted rid of it and would sell it to me for £15. Well i couldn't get the cash out quick enough despite the fact it was the cut cinema print but this Intervision edition was still stronger than the BBFC approved version available at the time.

The cassette was in surprisingly good condition too for such a popular title so that was some good news also!
Old 9th October 2009, 07:18 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Some more classic DAWN artwork to get you in the mood for what is shaping up to be contender for release of the year....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th October 2009, 07:39 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

None of them as good as the Arrow artwork eh reaper?
Old 9th October 2009, 07:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nope.First one's interesting though.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th October 2009, 07:42 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah not too shabby at all
Old 26th October 2009, 08:35 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

first time i ever saw it was late at night on UK gold at halloween, infact i school the next day so couldn't watch it all so i taped and watched the whole thing the following day and the rest is as they say History....i'd say my fav part is the whole "shoot him man, shoot him the head" bit from the apartment bit. Although even though it's my fav film of ALL TIME!!!!, i still laugh out loude everytime time i see Steven swing that hammer at the zombombie at the refil station.
Old 6th November 2009, 08:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Nope.First one's interesting though.....
That's the U.S. Thorn EMI videocassette artwork, I had that many moons ago!
Old 27th January 2010, 10:36 AM
Cult Rookie

I first saw DawnOTD when I was around 11 or 12 years old, on a rented VHS tape in the middle of the day. There were about seven of us in a lad's house down the road, who was 'rich' enough to own a video (Ferguson Videostar) at the time. No sooner had the film ended than we ran around the streets pretending we were armed to the teeth and surrounded by zombies. That memory has never left me, and my love for being terrified was further compounded by watching a pirate copy of Alien soon after that.....roll on claustraphobia and a fear of crowds

Even watching Dawn today, you get a sense of just how advanced American society was in comparison to the rest of us, I mean shopping malls in the 70's when we only saw them here in the last 10 odd years? You can see why George Romero felt so vigilant about retaining his own sense of identity while the rest of us became mindless consumers (zombies).

Last edited by OftheDead; 28th January 2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 27th January 2010, 10:51 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OftheDead View Post
I first saw DawnOTD when I was around 11 or 12 years old, on a rented VHS tape in the middle of the day. There were about seven of us in a lad's house down the road, who was 'rich' enough to own a video (Ferguson Videostar) at the time. No sooner had the film ended than we ran around the streets pretending we were armed to the teeth and surrounded by zombies. That memory has never left me, and my love for being terrified was further compounded by watching a pirate copy of Alien soon after that.....roll on claustraphobia and a fear of crowds

Even watching Dawn today, you get a sense of just how advanced American society was in comparison to the rest of us, I mean shopping malls in the 70's when we only saw them here in the last 10 odd years? You can see why George Romero felt so vigilant about retaining his own sense of identity while the rest of us became mindless consumers (zombies).

Just my perspective you understand..
I remember going to Presto in the 80s that was the closest we had to a large shopping mall - a supermarket!!
Old 27th January 2010, 08:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Presto,now there's a name from the past.....

Dawn eh?
Thirty odd years on it's still held in as high esteem as ever.
Always will be.

Like this? Share it using the links below!