Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2008, 08:48 PM
Ex-member

Default DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978)

I am a big fan of this movie since I was small I have met kenn foree at the chiller convention and had me dawn dvd signed from him the movie Is a masterpiece I have the 156 minute extended cut version which Is great.
My favourite actor In dawn Is peter(kenn foree) my best scene In the film Is when the zombies head get shot and It blows up.

let me know what you think about this movie.
demonknight likes this.
Old 14th June 2008, 09:10 PM
Ex-member

its a very good film a bit to much talking and poltics for me,i dont find it as good as zombie 2(zombie,ZFE)i havent seen the extended cut yet my fave version is the argento/euro cut its faster paced more action and a few more head shots and gore
Old 15th June 2008, 06:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Dawn of the Dead is definitely a masterpiece as well as my all time favourite horror film. Haven't seen the 156m cut but I have the 127m theatrical version and the 139m so called director's version. I can't say which version I prefer because they're both excellent. The 139m cut adds 12m of mostly narrative but sadly loses a great deal of the Goblin score, especially from the opening and closing scenes. The 4 lead actors are great.

This film really suffered appallingly at the hands of the BBFC but thankfully it is now uncut.
demonknight likes this.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:21 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I agree, Angel. It's right up there with Zombie Flesh Eaters as my all-time fave zombie films too.

I much prefer the theatrical version rather than the longer workprint (aka Director's Cut). Be interesting to see which version people prefer.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have to admit I enjoy the extra shopping scenes in the 139m cut.

The films definitely great fun, never taking itself too seriously. And what a stroke of genius having Tom Savini in the film. Yeah it will be interesting to know which version people here prefer.

The 156m version might be a bit long for you then Vince.

Unfortunately the BBC only show the 139m cut. I'd like to see the shorter Argento cut that was originally going to be submitted to the BBFC in the late 70's but Ferman was demanding 10m of cuts so it never happened.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:47 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I didn't dislike the workprint version but I much preferred the cinema one. The Goblin score was so impressive (especially in the opening TV station scenes) that it was sorely missed in the longer print and the extra scenes just seemed a bit padded out. Especially the scene with the police at the dock.

Oddly enough I preferred the longer Italian language version of Profondo Rosso to the shorter English dub.
Old 15th June 2008, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I don't think I'd like the 156min version to be honest. I think it's available in two forms : the German language only bootleg, which supposedly looks quite average in terms of video and the actual editing of the various versions. The other version is, I believe, put together from the Anchor Bay Ultimate Edition from a few years ago, so would be English spoken and have only minor differences in the varying picture quality. It's available as a download.

I really can't choose between the theatrical print and Argento's edit to be honest. I enjoy the 139 min so-called directors cut (I say so-called because Romero's preferred version is actually the theatrical version), but if I'm gonna sit down and watch the film I'd usually go for either Argento's edit (pacier, more Goblin), or the theatrical.

That Anchor Bay Ultimate Edition is really the only way to g if you're a fan of the film. The picture quality is pretty much fantastic across all versions, the extras are great too.
Old 15th June 2008, 03:31 PM
Ex-member

The 156 minute version was put together from the dawn of the dead team I think the picture quality Is ok but the sound jump some times during the film If your a big fan of dawn you will enjoy the extended 156 minute version If you have never seen the dawn of the dead before It better to watch the 139 minute directors cut version or the version from the trilogy of the dead which has great picture quality.
Old 15th June 2008, 04:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

The 156 min German "Ultimate Final Cut" was put together by Oliver Krekel who owns Astro dvd. The version spliced together from the Anchor Bay release is a fan edit :

Original film name: George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead
New film name: George A. Romero’s Dawn of the Dead: The “Extended Mall Hours” Cut
Film studio name: Anchor Bay / United Film Distribution
Edit crew name: Officially Unofficial
Date original film was released: 1978
Date edit was released: January 2008
Original Runtime: 126 minutes (Romero’s theatrical cut) / 139 minutes (Cannes cut) / 117 minutes (Argento cut)
New Runtime: 155 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added: 16 minutes added (to Cannes cut)

SCENES CUT/TRIMMED/EDITED: None

SCENES ADDED:

Countless extra snippets throughout the Argento cut were added to the 139 minutes Cannes cut. These include a few extra headshots in the mall sequences, as well as various dialogue extensions, such as the bikers in the finale planning their “attack strategy” (”One by one, they’re gonna knock you off your little bikes”).
One full scene which was previously cut and added back in is a bit of dialogue between Peter and Stephen after they return from “shopping” the first time. Stephen acts cocky while Peter wants him to realize just how lucky they were. This scene contains the line “Let’s say the lady gets killed… you’d be able to chop off her head?” which was used in the English language Italian trailer.

DVD Details:

NTSC
Audio is AC3 2 channel mono
Animated menus including scene select
Extra: Fanedit.org teaser trailer
7.4 GB (dual layer) / 4.33 GB (single layer)
Your intention for this fanedit:
To create the longest possible cut closest to Romero’s shooting script.

Your way to achieve your intention:
By taking the longest official cut (the 139 minutes Cannes cut), and adding roughly 16 minutes of footage that was exclusive to the Argento cut.

Hardware and software information (what did you use to create your fanedit):

SmartRipper
Vegas 6 and Vegas 7
Adobe PhotoShop
DVD Architect 3
DVD Rebuilder
Cinema Craft Encoder

Additional Comments:

This is an idea I’ve had for a fan edit for years. I first heard about the Argento cut having exclusive footage around 1999. It wasn’t until 2004 with the release of Anchor Bay’s “Ultimate Edition” that I finally saw Argento’s version. I finally started working on this in fall of 2007 on a whim. Principal editing began around September/October, and was put on hiatus. Production resumed around December 2007 through January 2008. Like I’ve also said, while Romero’s 126 minute cut is my preferred version, I still wanted to create this cut to piece together somewhat of a “glorified workprint”.
Old 2nd July 2008, 05:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I saw ZFE first, so it's my all time favourite zombie flick, but I adore Dawn too.
In fact Ken Foree's character Peter, is my all time favourite "horror hero"!

OT- But I hate the remake with a passion! Even Bruno Mattei would have been blushing, over how badly the baby zombie scene came out!

Like this? Share it using the links below!