Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th September 2009, 06:45 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i have the sphere but ive still only seen the first 2 films , ill have to watch the others soon, i love the first and the second is good but not as good as the first.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:27 PM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

one of my all time fave series'.
so much so i have a (customised) sphere tattoo!
'...I believe in murder...I believe in pain...I believe in cruelty and infidelity...I believe in slime...and every putrid crawling thing...and every possible ugliness..and corruption...you son of a bitch!...'
Old 25th September 2009, 04:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Which versions do you all own?
The Sphere?
I own the Digipak and parts 1 and 3 on ABUS SE's.
Think I need to get a sphere though!
I got the ABUK digipack, but I love the original Phantasm so much I think I'll have to get the ABUS SE as well.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Think I'll go and watch it now.
Cracking artwork on the U.S. version Vamp.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th September 2009, 10:48 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I got the ABUK digipack, but I love the original Phantasm so much I think I'll have to get the ABUS SE as well.
I've got the ABUK lenticular digipak and sphere releases, MGM's original Phantasm sp. ed. together with the recent ABUS equivalent and XT's unofficial European Phantasm quadrilogy box set. This last collection isn't a bootleg but remains an illegit rarity due to featuring material unsanctioned by saga director Don Coscarelli.

Does anybody know if Universal's new Phantasm II DVD is any good?

Any word on extras or PQ as i'm thinking of buying a copy of this latest version.

To be truthful, i only really like Phantasm and it's first sequel.
I was never too impressed with the third entry and so was none too fussed on seeing the fourth installment.
Old 27th September 2009, 02:31 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Wer'e all mad I tell ya!

I have the uk sphere,the seperate Anchor Bay uk versions,the region 1 MGM special edition of part 1,The region 1 AB versions of 1 and 3 and i'll get the R1 AB part 4 and perhaps the Universal release of part 2 at some point.the Universal release of Phantasm 2 has no extras as far as I know
Old 28th September 2009, 12:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Thanks for the info and if Universal's new PII DVD does indeed feature no extras then i'll be sticking with the ABUK and XT versions.

For some reason i just can't imagine the above major studio making an effort with the bonus material on such a cult horror title the same way the above two indie labels did.
That's why i asked about Universal's release.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Rewatched the original the other night.
Still as classy as ever.They just don't come up with originality like that anymore.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st October 2009, 10:04 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

I find similarities between Phantasm and Xtro purely for the fact both films have some pretty weird occurences in them but this offbeat atmosphere actually works for the movies not against them.

Flying spheres with built-in drills, hooded dwarf slaves, amputated fingers that turn into bugs, condensed corpses bunged in barrells and alternate dimensions that remind me of David Bowie's 'Ashes To Ashes' music video. Strange to be sure but great all the same!

Love the image in the trailer of Mike in his bed in a graveyard with The Tall Man standing over him with his hands on the headboard. Very nightmarish!

"Bbbboooooooyyyy!"
Old 1st October 2009, 04:12 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Love the disco version of the theme that they included on the region 1 MGM dvd

Like this? Share it using the links below!