Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2010, 03:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I got the Boulevard Enterainment release. of Bay of Blood (forgive spelling)
plus i've seen other releases and I quite like it.

I agree about the sequels and current old films that are OOP.

Problem is also that the old classics get picked up by the likes of 'Beyond Terror' who release them with minium effort and by not doing anything to make the old original's appealing to a new audience of genre fans , are turning them away from the older films as new fans maybe buy one title then leave the rest due to the poor quality vhs like fransfers .

Thank God that Shameless and ARROW are giving some of these old classics a fighting chance with younger fans by taking the efford to offer the best version available, thus making veiwing them as enjoyable as the newer remakes PQ and extras ways.

Last edited by vipco; 2nd February 2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Thank God that Shameless and ARROW are giving some of these old classics a fighting chance with younger fans by taking the efford to offer the best version available, thus making veiwing them as enjoyable as the newer remakes PQ and extras ways.
Well said vips!
Old 7th February 2010, 10:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
I have the uncut Image dvd but I'm not keen on this Bava effort.I much prefer his more creepier & atmospheric trio of Kill Baby Kill,Black Sabbath & Black Sunday.
I'm in the same boat as you with ABOB and prefer my Bava fix baroque rather than bloody.
There's no doubt the film has been influential where the backwoods slasher movie is concerned. But for some reason i just don't find ABOB as visually stylish, atmospheric or entertaining as other Mario masterworks. Blood And Black Lace is a far more enjoyable giallo imo.

For the record, i own the Raro, ABUS and AWE releases of Bava's backwoods blood spiller.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:49 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I also own the RARO,ABUS and German XT versions.

It's an all time classic.
Beautifully shot with an amazing soundtrack,to credit it with being the inspiration for the slasher boom,whilst to a certain extent is true,is unfair.
It's a masterpiece in it's own right and should be judged on it's own merits.

An Uncut restored UK version is long overdue,and the sort of title which would be right up Arrow's street to give it the release it deserves.

As is the artwork right up Arrow's street.Especially the last two shown below.

The German XT DVD is identical to the Hokushin precert.
Another cover/title synonymous with the 'video nasty' era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bay_blood_raro.jpg (17.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg mariobavacollection2.jpg (31.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 422738.1020.A.jpg (98.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 436013.1020.A.jpg (64.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg XT990141_gf.jpg (10.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 534631.1020.A.jpg (54.2 KB, 2 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:05 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
An Uncut restored UK version is long overdue,and the sort of title which would be right up Arrow's street to give it the release it deserves.
Definitely agree. The BBFC rejected it for cinema years ago but it wouldn't have had any problems in 2002 if the uncut print had been submitted. Would pass easily now.
Old 7th February 2010, 12:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Fantastic film Vince.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th February 2010, 01:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I also have a couple of versions of this fantastic film, and agree that a UK uncut release would be most welcome.

I could so see Arrow releasing this further down the line (another UK uncut first ) and would love to see an original Rick cover-art for this release.
Old 9th February 2010, 12:13 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Definitely agree. The BBFC rejected it for cinema years ago but it wouldn't have had any problems in 2002 if the uncut print had been submitted. Would pass easily now.
Is that the version I own, Boulevard Ent.? (forgive spelling)
Is there much missing from it Vince.?
Old 9th February 2010, 10:45 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Is that the version I own, Boulevard Ent.? (forgive spelling)
Is there much missing from it Vince.?
The Boulevard release (a port of the Film 2000 DVD) features the same print as the old Redemption video which was cut by 43 secs. 4 of the murder scenes are cut including the double impalement and the machete murder.
Old 9th February 2010, 01:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The only way to see this is uncut, as it's a very brutal Giallo, the killings are definitely the main course here. I rate it very highly and think it's an absolute gem. Then again, I'm a Giallo fanatic, so I would like it.

I've pretty much enjoyed every Bava I've seen. And, controversial as it may seem, I reckon 5 Dolls for an August Moon is his best film. Not many people agree with me on that one, though....

Like this? Share it using the links below!