Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2008, 07:57 PM
Cultist

Default A Bay Of Blood (1971)

I've tried watching this twice with little success - in fact I've fallen asleep part way through both times. And as an insomniac that's not somthing I'm wont to do! To be fair I'd probably had the pest part of a bottle of merlot prior to watching it both times but none the less....

So my question is: - is it just me? Is it really any good? Should I have another go?

Ta muchly...
Old 21st April 2008, 03:57 AM
Cultist in Training
Good Trader

I'd say give it another go, but hey ho, some films just don't click with some people. It's my favourite Bava film and also my favourite Giallo.
Old 21st April 2008, 06:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Can't say I thought too much of the film either, though I have only seen the cut version. I found the characters quite annoying.
Old 21st April 2008, 08:18 AM
Cultist

Bay Of Blood is nuts. I kind of liked it but wouldn't necessarily expect other people to.
Old 21st April 2008, 06:40 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

One of my faves,great inventive deaths.....far better off with an uncut version though....
Old 21st April 2008, 06:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

You really need to buy the US Bava Box 2 to appriciate the film, some of the other titles in the box I don't care for but Bay Of Blood is an absolute classic. The music should keep you awake if the murders don't!
Old 21st April 2008, 07:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Spot on mate......
Old 21st April 2008, 08:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I can actually understand. First time I saw Bay Of Blood, back in the day, it had a rather soporific effect on me too. Don't know why - it just didn't grab me.

Went back to it years later, and loved it to death. Like watching a completely different film.

It's an interesting gialli, and a damn fine one. It was the first Bava film I saw too.. (and I love all Bava now - so probably appreciate it more as a sum of all his works).
Old 21st April 2008, 09:28 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I first saw it years back under the title Twitch Of The Death Nerve and I found it pretty entertaining. It looks a little dated now but it's still fairly enjoyable.
Old 21st April 2008, 09:51 PM
Cultist

I'm sure I'll give it another go at some point. To be fair I think the wine and the timing might have had something to do with it.

The copy I have is from Boulevard Entertainment clocking in at 84 mins. Not sure how cut that makes it. I picked it up for 99p from Music Zone a couple of years ago.

Like this? Share it using the links below!