Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree178Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th July 2010, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Saw this first when I was a kid, my dad let me watch it and I was horrified by it.
I eventually got it on VHS in the US when I was there and when I watched it I was sure it was cut (even though the cover stated it was uncut) as in my head it was a lot more graphic than I remember.

Still gives me the creeps everytime I watch it. The first scene you see Leatherface is one of the most terrifying pieces of cinema ever
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:18 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

When I was first interested in watching TCM it was still banned. As far as I knew none of the local video rentals places in the small town I lived in did any dodgy under the counter nastie renting so I had to wait till I was in sixth form to see it. A guy in the year above sold me a poor quality video copy, I think he gave me a tape with number 2 & 3 on it as well.

I remeber the day I came home after school with a bunch of friends and watched it. As far as I can rememeber everyone loved it and its been a favourite of mine ever since!!!!

The new blu-ray is a thing of beauty I wouldnt go back to my crappy VHS copy for anything.
Old 17th July 2010, 12:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Agreed, BZ. The Blu-ray is a stunner, best the film has ever looked. That is to say, on BD it looks grimy and exactly how it should look. It's got even more of a grindhouse feel to it on Blu-ray, more natural and filmlike. It's a prized possession, for sure.
Old 17th July 2010, 01:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'll probably get blasted for saying this but I much prefer Tobe Hooper's Death Trap to TCM.
Dont get me wrong, I like TCM and have it on dvd as well as the excellent BluRay release , I just think Death Trap is a better film.
Old 17th July 2010, 01:17 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I wouldn't say that I prefer Death Trap, but I do like the film very much. It also has the immortal line:

'My name's Buck and I'm raring to f*ck!'

Old 17th July 2010, 03:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Nevile Brand was made to play the lead in Death Trap, he's one crazy looking dude..lol.

I think Death Trap suffers and is underrated by most fans simply because TCM was made first.
I think Hooper too has suffered due to his first film being so near perfect as he's always judged by TCM standards every time he directs a new film and each time falls short of the mark even though some of his stuff is pretty decent.

Im 40 so my first copy of TCM was a bootleg vhs that was surprisingly good quality.
Old 18th July 2010, 12:44 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Death Trap is certainly a lot more polished than TCM and boasts a pretty decent cast - including Mel Ferrer who is dispatched rather messily. It's great fun and Neville Brand is superb. He's also worth checking out in Psychic Killer - now there's a strange little film but nevertheless is rather enjoyable.
Old 19th July 2010, 09:00 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I never saw TCM before the video nasty scare. When I did see it many years later, I wondered what all the fuss had been about. This was clearly a movie so clever that it had people complaining about gore that wasn't even in the movie! There was talk of blood and guts all over the place, stuff that we never see. At the time (I forget exactly when. Perhaps late 80s) I wondered if I'd got hold of an edited version, but the only real bit of gore is when Leatherface cuts open the meat of his leg, towards the end. Everything else is implied.

It's the ultimate "reality" movie for me. Forget Blair Witch, Paramundane activity and the like, TCM really manages to suck the viewer into its world. The viewer is made to feel uncomfortable without reaching for the sick bag.
Old 22nd July 2010, 05:56 PM
Cult Rookie

Well i saw it in the 80's, a real under the counter movie, hadto go on a waiting list to get it and it was real cloak and dagger stuff, lol
Honestly as a kid i thought it was crap, didn't see what all the fuss was about, not seen it in years now.
don't throw any pies or anything shap please!
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

It's still banned in Germany even though Turbine Medien are REALLY trying to get it off the German "nasties" list (ยง131 StGb). I watched it a few years back on a really shabby DVD (that comes in a chainsaw packaging, kinds cool) and I did like it for it's atmosphere, but I wasn't blown away by the film.

I found TCM to be one of the cases where I liked the remake a little more than the original, thinking that TCM:TB is the absoplute best of the series...

Like this? Share it using the links below!