Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree261Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2015, 09:13 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nice to see this thread free from the hold of Pazuzu......
Vipp likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th October 2015, 09:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Nice to see this thread free from the hold of Pazuzu......
Reaps will you be joining the Tweet-a-long? it would be great to have more people on the old tweets joining in the fun. I will come back and let you know what i make of the movie after i watch it all. I don;t thik i will ever truly adore it but i can see why it has a reputation.
Old 27th October 2015, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
i do find the scene with Regan stabbing her lower body and screaming '**** me' extremely challenging to get past.
Whatever turns you on i guess!
Old 27th October 2015, 10:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Whatever turns you on i guess!
I've gotten to that part of the movie and had to turn it off, it's shocking that they ever got that into a cinema! lol.
Old 28th October 2015, 09:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

How do you think I felt, reading the book when I was 12!?
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th October 2015, 12:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gif!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th March 2016, 01:16 PM
Cult Master

Hey - back in 2014, there was a Radio 4 adaption of 'The Exorcist'. Did anyone hear it?

The Exorcist makes its scary radio debut | Media | The Guardian

I have found this

LISTEN: BBC Radio 4’s complete dramatization of The Exorcist | CaptainHowdy.com

but it doesn't seem to want to play for me

An online review states: "Does The Exorcist work as a radio play? Not entirely. Starting, confusingly, midway into the book, this version seems determined to distance itself from the film, emphasising a calm, sweet-voiced ‘demon’ and the psychological aspects of the story – while Friedkin might claim, somewhat unconvincingly, that his film is ambiguous regarding the possession aspect of the story, here it is entirely possible that this might be psychological rather than supernatural. That’s potentially interesting, however the play lacks substance – despite being the central character, Karras is without depth, the exorcism scenes are a mix of shouting and bland conversation and there is little sense of the horror found in both the novel and the film. It’s an interesting try, yet really needs stronger character development and more creeping horror (the opportunities for unsettling sounds are mostly wasted) to be successful."
Demoncrat likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th April 2016, 04:09 PM
Cult Rookie

I watched a fan preservation of the film recently by a chap called Dr Sapirstein. He points out that even the "original" cut on the blu ray has a fair few changes, including a remixed soundtrack, massive colour changes, added Captain Howdy face flashes (he only showed up once in the original release, during Karras's dream), and a CGI face-morph when Karras gets possessed at the end (originally just a jump cut). Not sure how legit the colour changes are - he's made it very green-tinted - but it's my go-to version now. I can't stand the additions in the Version You've Never Seen. That last scene, the Casablanca ending, is awful.

I'm preparing to do a PhD project about The Exorcist and audience memories of it, so I've dug around a fair bit in archives to look at what was being said in the UK in 1974 about the film. The Coroner is spot on. The fuss was a bit real and a bit nonsense. There are reports of folks going crazy for the film - a St John's Ambulance volunteer in Brighton told the BBFC a good 60 or so people had needed his help during the film (though he did say that was probably because it was frickin' boiling in this specific cinema which held about 1300 people) - but there's also a lot of people saying they don't know what the fuss was about, and a fair few cases of bad journalism, newspapers blaming murders and suicides on the film and all that.

Absolutely love the film anyway!
Old 13th May 2016, 04:23 PM
Cult Master

The Exorcist to make its UK premiere - WhatsOnStage.com

"Birmingham Repertory Theatre will stage the UK premiere of The Exorcist. A new staging of the production will run from 21 October to 5 November this year"

The Exorcist at Birmingham Repertory Theatre

I don't see how this would work as a stage play

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th May 2016, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The Exorcist to make its UK premiere - WhatsOnStage.com

"Birmingham Repertory Theatre will stage the UK premiere of The Exorcist. A new staging of the production will run from 21 October to 5 November this year"

The Exorcist at Birmingham Repertory Theatre

I don't see how this would work as a stage play
Barely worked as a film.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!