Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   JAWS Steven Spielberg 1975 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/3184-jaws-steven-spielberg-1975-a.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd July 2010 06:20 AM

JAWS Steven Spielberg 1975

Yes,the decade of flares certainly was productive in the old classic horror movies!

Remember when you first saw JAWS?

Remember the old 'head in the hole' scare that made you jump out your pants?:lol:

Who ever thought a shark could be so terrifying?

And that cast was superb! Scheider,Dreyfuss and Shaw!

Who all loves ol' Brucie?

:dance:'Show me the way to go home...I'm tired and I wanna go to bed...and I had a little drink about an hour ago...and it's went right to my head....':dance:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd July 2010 08:45 AM

I don't know how many editions of Jaws I've owned over the years, Multiple VHS, Laserdisc and DVD editions, and needless to say, blu-ray when it is released. Jaws is one of those films that If I turn on the tv and it playing,no matter how far into the film, I'll sit down and watch the rest of it.

You forgot one important element there Mr Reaper Man......the music. One of the most iconic and identifiable pieces in cinema history. John Williams came up with dare I say it, such a simple piece of theme music and yet managed to make it so much more.

Peter Neal 3rd July 2010 11:55 AM

My favourite movie of all time, which I only recently reviewed right here:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/show...t=254&page=100

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd July 2010 12:27 PM

And of course, Jaws has the distinction of being the first blockbuster movie, taking over $100,000,000 at the U.S. boxoffice. :cool:

Splatterdragon73 3rd July 2010 01:06 PM

One of my all time fave films with an absolutely iconic poster design (the same goes for the sequel's artwork imo.) and a great teaser trailer too:

"This summer....when the beaches are open....when the water is warmer....you....will be taken....by Jaws!"

I've always liked the much missed Roy Scheider since his role in Spielberg's superior Shark shocker.:)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd July 2010 04:53 PM

Yeah,you're right Steve.The music is just the icing on the cake!:cool:

'You're gonna need a bigger boat.' :cool:

Peter Neal 3rd July 2010 06:01 PM

I had the misfortune of catching my first glimpse at "Jaws" when it was running on German tv in the very early 80's- just when I was about to learn swimming....:eek:
(Advice to parents: Avoid that situation at all costs!:loco:)
I'm still surprised that this is a "PG" in the UK:confused:
"Jaws" has always been a solid "FSK 16" in Germany, even in Scandinavia it's rated "15"...I guess you guys simply have the better nerves at young age:laugh:

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd July 2010 08:23 PM

A little off topic, but what rating does Raiders Of The Lost Ark have in Germany Peter? Along with Jaws, I always found it amazing that these two films had low ratings in the UK and U.S.

Peter Neal 4th July 2010 12:03 PM

Both, "Raiders" and "Temple of Doom", have an "FSK 16" rating in their uncut form (though get aired in cut down versions for a lower rating on tv regularly:tongue1:), "Last Crusade" and "Crystal Skull" scored the more audience-friendly "FSK 12" without cuts.
All of the "Jaws" movies are "FSK 16" over there.
Interestingly, the uncut "Jaws 3" is an "18" (!) in Finland- but that could only be the result of "Universal" being too lazy to resubmit it :mmph:

frosty 22nd July 2010 05:44 PM

I loved jaws, first movie i remember being scared at as a kid, when that head popped out, sheesh, scary stuff

Angel 23rd July 2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 90201)
I had the misfortune of catching my first glimpse at "Jaws" when it was running on German tv in the very early 80's- just when I was about to learn swimming....:eek:
(Advice to parents: Avoid that situation at all costs!:loco:)
I'm still surprised that this is a "PG" in the UK:confused:
"Jaws" has always been a solid "FSK 16" in Germany, even in Scandinavia it's rated "15"...I guess you guys simply have the better nerves at young age:laugh:

Personally I always thought the PG for Jaws was spot on but I know a lot of people think was a bit lenient. It was last classified here nearly 20 years ago. Remains to be seen if it would still get the same rating today or a 12 perhaps. I think it probably would get upgraded although I think that would be pointless as it's been available as a PG here for the last 35 years.

Still and always has been a PG in the US. No upgrading there.

Actually James Ferman felt an A rating unsuitable for the film at first but after consulting child psychiatrists about the possible harmful effects it may have on children ( ie nightmares etc) it was given the all clear.

Playzocker 23rd July 2010 12:26 PM

I think PG is okay, since violence can be bloody sometimes but the film doesn't dwell on gore scenes. The FSK 16 in Germany is (for German standards) also okay, but right now they could downgrade it to a 12.

Anyways, I first saw JAWS about 2 years ago and I wasn't expecting to be scared since the film has been copied so often that practically every scene has become a clichee somehow, but still - basically every single scene worked perfectly, the film was just fun to watch.

Mojo 23rd July 2010 05:51 PM

I remember people being very surprised at the 'A' rating ( equivalent to today's PG ) when it was first released, due to all the shock and gore! As it turned out, this did the film a huge favour as it played to massive audiences. I went to see it twice inside a week ( and jumped at all the same bits twice! ) Great film.

Gigantor 23rd July 2010 06:20 PM

I got to watch JAWS for the first time on TV back in the day and was hooked (no pun intended) ever since.

Splatterdragon73 25th July 2010 10:14 AM

I also love the iconic poster art for the first two Jaws films. But i didn't know until surfin' Ebay a while back that there is (was?) a CD soundtrack to either the first or second entry that features a variation on the original Jaws illustration.

We're all familiar with the cross-section image of the Great White Shark rising up from the depths of the sea to chow down on the unaware female swimmer. But the CD cover in question replaces the victim on the sea surface with the red boat populated by Tina Willcox and her ill-fated boyfriend from Jaws 2. If i'm not mistaken this revamped artwork features the aforementioned male falling into the water with the Great White Shark once again charging up from below. Basically it's an illustration based on the same scene in the sequel.:)

Gigantor 26th July 2010 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah that was for JAWS 2
Here is the cover....

Whirlwind 26th July 2010 05:40 PM

Jaws was the first film I ever saw at the cinema. My dad took me, I must have been about 7 at it was quite scary :nod:

Anyone who has the Bio channel, look out for a doc called Jaws : The Inside Story.I recorded it last night & it look`s like it will be great.

mbv 27th July 2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whirlwind (Post 94138)
Jaws was the first film I ever saw at the cinema. My dad took me, I must have been about 7 at it was quite scary :nod:

Anyone who has the Bio channel, look out for a doc called Jaws : The Inside Story.I recorded it last night & it look`s like it will be great.

Saw this myself, pretty good, some good behind the scenes stills of Bruce

vipco 29th July 2010 11:44 AM

I watched this as well. Excellent doc. I knew they had problems shooting the film but not to the extent revealed here.
Strange thing though, if the shark would have worked as intended we wouldn't have the classic terror movie we got in JAWS, most likely just another creature feature with a cult following.

I first saw the film as a kid with my Dad. He used to take me regular to the cinemas as a kid . I always look back fondly on those days. Saw some great films with him.

the blob 29th July 2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whirlwind (Post 94138)

I was 8 when I went with my mum and brother. Scared the crap out of me! Can't believe it was only an A rating at the time. :eek:

pedromonkey 29th July 2010 07:09 PM

i am ashamed to say i only saw Jaws for the first time only 2 or 3 years ago, bloody good film though!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th July 2010 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 94711)
i am ashamed to say i only saw Jaws for the first time only 2 or 3 years ago, bloody good film though!!!!!!!!!!

As well you should sir! :lol:

TheCoroner 30th July 2010 02:31 PM

Great film. I also remember going as a kid with my family to Universal Studios,CA and seeing their Jaws attack set that they had up - where the shark launches out of the water at the tour tram. :) Good Times

the blob 30th July 2010 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCoroner (Post 94837)
Great film. I also remember going as a kid with my family to Universal Studios,CA and seeing their Jaws attack set that they had up - where the shark launches out of the water at the tour tram. :) Good Times

That's loads of fun, although I was a big 30+-year-old-kid when I went, haha. Also get to see the Psycho house and a whole load of other stuff too. :)

TheCoroner 30th July 2010 03:03 PM

As a kid going to Universal to see the Jaws shark was as good as going to Disneyland for me! It's just too bad Universal Studios keep having backlot fires that destroy so many great locations (like the Town Square from Back To The Future).

the blob 30th July 2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCoroner (Post 94860)
As a kid going to Universal to see the Jaws shark was as good as going to Disneyland for me! It's just too bad Universal Studios keep having backlot fires that destroy so many great locations (like the Town Square from Back To The Future).

At the risk of going too far off topic, the Terminator 3-D show was unbelievable too. By far the best 3-D I've ever seen. Got to make it to the Orlando one sometime as it's only 4 hours away but ti just doesn't seem the same as it's not actually Universal Studios. I've been to Disney World but there just wasn't enough time to do both.

Splatterdragon73 2nd August 2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 94078)
Yeah that was for JAWS 2
Here is the cover....

Nice one!

Going back to Jaws documentaries, i'm sure i still have a VHS recording of Jaws:The True Hollywood Story screened a few years back on Sky channel E!Entertainment.

There was also a BBC equivalent called In The Teeth Of Jaws i taped off TV back in the late '90s and quite good it was too.

The making-of documentary featured on the Jaws DVD is of course, another masterpiece on Spielberg's Shark smash and whatever happened to a later celluloid variation on Jaws's history entitled The Shark Is Still Working?

I knew i'd regret getting rid of the Bio channel sooner or later! Is there a chance any kind soul here could possibly do me a DVD-R copy of this most recent Jaws tribute mentioned previously?:)

Nordicdusk 15th March 2015 04:05 AM

Not only is Jaws one of my all time favourite films and along with Halloween its my most watched films. It still feels fresh and tense to this day and with such an amazing Blu Ray it really brings the film even more to life. Robert Shaw , Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfuss all put in amazing performances. Quints story about the Indianapolis is as chilling now as the first time i heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMl1NbR0h_A

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th March 2015 03:00 PM

Have you seen the made for tv movie Mission of the Shark?

It's about the USS Indianapolis and what happened to the ship and crew. It stars Stacy Keach, Richard Thomas and David Caruso. Despite being a tv production it's well done and certainly worth seeking out.

Nordicdusk 15th March 2015 03:13 PM

Not seen that but i will keep an eye out for it cheers.

Susan Foreman 6th October 2015 08:24 AM

As predicted in 'Back To The Future, Part 2':

Film @ The Digital Fix - Jaws 19 gets a trailer...

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th August 2017 12:41 PM

I see the USS Indianapolis has been found after 72 years.

Lost WW2 warship USS Indianapolis found after 72 years - BBC News

If you don't know why i've posted this here then you are in the wrong thread. :lol:

Susan Foreman 20th August 2017 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 547005)
I see the USS Indianapolis has been found after 72 years.

Lost WW2 warship USS Indianapolis found after 72 years - BBC News

If you don't know why i've posted this here then you are in the wrong thread. :lol:

"Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, Chief. We was comin' back from the island of Tinian to Leyte, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen-footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, Chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Heh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, Chief, sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. Y'know, it's... kinda like ol' squares in a battle like, uh, you see in a calendar, like the Battle of Waterloo, and the idea was, shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin', and sometimes the shark'd go away... sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into ya. Right into your eyes. Y'know the thing about a shark, he's got... lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'... until he bites ya. And those black eyes roll over white, and then... oh, then you hear that terrible high-pitch screamin', the ocean turns red, and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin', they all come in and they... rip you to pieces. Y'know, by the end of that first dawn... lost a hundred men. I dunno how many sharks. Maybe a thousand. I dunno how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin', Chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player. Bosun's mate. I thought he was asleep. Reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water just like a kinda top. Upended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. Young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper. Anyway, he saw us and come in low and three hours later, a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. Y'know, that was the time I was most frightened, waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a life jacket again. So, eleven hundred men went into the water, three hundred sixteen men come out, and the sharks took the rest, June the 29th, 1945. "

https://videos.files.wordpress.com/H...d.original.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th August 2017 02:26 PM

One of the great movie stories, Susan. That and the camp fire tale at the start of The Fog.

Susan Foreman 20th August 2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 547026)
One of the great movie stories, Susan.

Absolutely. It's chilling, and the deadpan, low-key way that Shaw delivers it is just perfect

MuckyFunster 23rd July 2020 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look at this wonderful illustration of the “need a bigger boat” scene from Jaws. (Artist Alisdair Wood - available here - http://www.woodi.co.uk/shop-1/wok844...ys36v9me-wrwel - and only a fiver!)

Attachment 226349

Great acting from both Scheider and Shaw. That simple, almost innocent, turn of the head that Shaw delivers is brilliant.

John Carpenter was surely influenced by this scene for the part in The Thing where the shadow turns to look at the dog as it enters the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd July 2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 463709)
As predicted in 'Back To The Future, Part 2':

Film @ The Digital Fix - Jaws 19 gets a trailer...

:lol: Class!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl092whRLlI