Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   ON THE TRAIL OF THE WICKER MAN (Robin Hardy) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/470-trail-wicker-man-robin-hardy.html)

Paul@TheOverlook 10th October 2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 371126)
Mine shipped yesterday tomorrow or Saturday please!:pray:

Mine too.

monkeyscreams 10th October 2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 371133)
Mine too.

Mine three (sorry not funny). See how long it takes to reach Holland...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th October 2013 06:14 PM

Been singing this all week.....altogether now......

the wicker man ost-maypole - YouTube

Vipp 11th October 2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 371076)
No, not at all. The restoration is excellent. This is another version of a fantastic film. I noticed a drop in quality of the new scenes, but the scenes have been remastered to almost match the theatrical print. Everyone will be very pleased with what they see.
Watch this new clip of the song 'Gently Johnny' and you will see how good the restoration of that scene is compaired to the normal directors cut version.

The Wicker Man watch an exclusive 'lost' clip from the cult horror film - YouTube

Thanks Dave, this is great news. i wish i had remembered the showing of the film here, i would have loved to see it. today i watched the Mark Kermode documentary again, im more than ready to see this new cut.

Daemonia 12th October 2013 08:44 AM

My steelbook arrived today. Looks like it just contains the Final Cut and a DVD of extras, but no Director's or Theatrical Cuts. I'm not bothered as I love the film - so when the 3 disc set comes down in price I'll probably bag myself a copy of that too. However, if I watch the Final Cut and decide that this is my preferred viewing choice for this film, then I won't bother with the 3 disc set and just hang on to the old Warners double DVD set for the alternative cuts of the film.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th October 2013 09:04 AM

If anyone's interested, my review went up yesterday: The Wicker Man: The Final Cut | Film 365

Vipp 12th October 2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 371394)
If anyone's interested, my review went up yesterday: The Wicker Man: The Final Cut | Film 365

Fantastic Review Nosferatu, you should be paid to write that well.
It looks clear to me that this Blu-Ray set is the way to go. i might also track down the box set i had so i also have the option of re-visiting 'The Wicker Man Enigma' as you mention in your review that it's missing from the Blu-Ray Set.

Also Mark Kermode is a legend, i have always been a big fan so it's great to see him included too.

robertzombie 12th October 2013 12:59 PM

Steelbook:

DVD
Final Cut
Interview w/ Robin Hardy
The Music of the Wicker Man featurette
Worshipping the Wicker Man - Famous Fans featurette
Restoration Comparison

BD
Final Cut
Burnt Offering: The Cult of the Wicker Man documentary written by Mark Kermode
Interview w/ Robin Hardy
Interview w/ Christopher Lee & Robin Hardy, 1979
Restoration Comparison
Trailer.

Sam 12th October 2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 371463)
Steelbook:

DVD
Final Cut
Interview w/ Robin Hardy
Restoration Comparison

BD
Final Cut
Burnt Offering: The Cult of the Wicker Man documentary written by Mark Kermode
Interview w/ Robin Hardy
Interview w/ Christopher Lee & Robin Hardy, 1979
Restoration Comparison
Trailer.

Personally, I'm happy to have lost the extra cuts of the film to gain the Mark Kermode documentary, which is surely the pick of the new extras. If the new cut really is as 'final' as the name suggests, then it'll probably be the one I'll go back to anyway.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th October 2013 08:53 PM

Mine arrived today as well.
What can I say?

It's like holding the Holy Grail!

I'll pick up the Blu Ray set on Monday.:cool:

Daemonia 13th October 2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 371394)

A really good comprehensive review, mate.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th October 2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 371595)

Thanks!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 13th October 2013 04:36 PM

Well I watched the 'Final Cut' today and other than a few 'slivers' of footage.It's more of a reshuffle than anything else.

The good news is-it works.
I personally prefer the 'Director's cut' with the Police Station at the start.

But hey what the hell,I love all three cuts.
The Blu Ray restoration is a revelation.Absolutely stunning and fitting for the greatest film ever made.

The new extras are good,with 'Worshipping The Wicker Man' being the standout.
Ben Wheatley doesn't feel sorry for Howie.He's firmly on the side of Lord Summerisle.....something that anyone who has seen KILL LIST should know.

Applause to everyone who produced this wonderful package!:clap:

Rik 13th October 2013 06:44 PM

Mine's dispatched from Amazon today, should hopefully have it tomorrow or Tuesday :woot:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th October 2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 371595)

Nice review indeed Nos...but has anyone associated with the film actually admitted that Pinner's book was indeed the influence?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 371762)
Nice review indeed Nos...but has anyone associated with the film actually admitted that Pinner's book was indeed the influence?

Unfortunately Anthony Shaffer wasn't alive to participate and confirm or deny the extent of its influence, but Robin Hardy seemed quite happy to talk about Rituals in the commentary, never saying it had nothing to do with the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th October 2013 10:44 PM

Shaffer and Hardy's version of things always collided and as Shaffer's not here anymore....

I'm positive I read that Shaffer always denied having Rituals as an influence....

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th October 2013 07:26 AM

It's possible that Anthony Shaffer never read the book, but Robin Hardy did, so it was an influence, though only in the way it was directed. I guess we'll never know.

Rik 15th October 2013 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got home from college a bit ago to find this waiting for me :woot:

Attachment 122376

But, seeing as I'm working with my mate again for the rest of the week, I won't get to check it out for a few days:(

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2013 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 371914)
It's possible that Anthony Shaffer never read the book, but Robin Hardy did, so it was an influence, though only in the way it was directed. I guess we'll never know.

You read this Nos?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th October 2013 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 372373)
You read this Nos?

Yeah, it's a brilliant book.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th October 2013 05:37 PM

Yeah and chapter four I think it is.....makes me suspect Mr Hardy takes a Mel Gibson/William Wallace approach with the facts.

However,as you said,we'll never know!

Have you read Ritual?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th October 2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 372531)
Have you read Ritual?

No, Ritual has been in my wish list for far too long!

P-Mac 20th October 2013 12:12 PM

Bought Inside The Wicker Man in HMV yesterday for £4.99, was surprised to get it, I thought it was out-of-print as Amazon Marketplace was selling copies for £50+.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd October 2013 07:44 PM

£45 quid for Amazon's coffers.:mmph:

Rik 22nd October 2013 08:11 PM

Still not found the time to watch my BD yet, think I'll save it for next Thursday now :nod:

Rik 30th October 2013 11:24 AM

Finally got round to watching the Final Cut on BD yesterday, all I've got to say about it is that it looks stunning! I think I prefer the director's cut, so I reckon next time I feel like a trip to Summerisle, that will be the version I watch. Also checked out the new documentary by Mark (The Exorcist is the greatest film ever made and if you don't agree with me then you are clearly insane) Kermode, great to see interviews with the cast and crew, who all seem to share great pride in being associated with what I feel is the greatest British non-Hammer Horror film of all time :nod:

P.S Did anyone else have trouble reading the "special features" menu, I could barely see the writing on my TV, even so much as having to stand right in front of it to choose the above mentioned documentary to watch?

plasterface 1st November 2013 08:17 PM

cut

Got to say never liked the introduction of Howie on the mainland think it takes away from the film , starting with him coming to summerilse creates a sense of mystery and apart from flashbacks I like the film just been set only Summerisle as it gives a feeling of isolation and entrapment as the modern civilization is far away.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd November 2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 375233)
Got to say never liked the introduction of Howie on the mainland think it takes away from the film , starting with him coming to summerilse creates a sense of mystery and apart from flashbacks I like the film just been set only Summerisle as it gives a feeling of isolation and entrapment as the modern civilization is far away.

The more I watched the theatrical and director's cuts, the more I felt that opening was unnecessary as you know about Sgt Howie's religion and intolerance from the way he addresses islanders, such as the schoolteacher and Lord Summerisle, plus the flashback to him receiving communion and reading from the pulpit. You also know about his virginity because he tells Willow "I don't believe in it… before marriage", so you don't need that conversation between the other two policeman on the mainland.

That said, I really like both versions, but feel they've nailed it with the Final Cut and I'll only watch the other two when I fancy a change.

plasterface 2nd November 2013 09:28 PM

cut

Final cut would be my fave if it did not have needless intro.

Paul@TheOverlook 11th November 2013 04:07 PM

Bizarre - received this emal from Zavvi just today:

Hi Paul

Thank you for purchasing “The Wicker Man - The Final Cut - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook”.

As you may already be aware when we first announced this title it was expected to be a 3 disc release containing extra cuts of the movie, unfortunately it has come to our attention that the product only contained a 2 disc version.

We have contacted the studio responsible for the release of The Wicker Man and arrangements have been made to send the missing third disc to you. As soon as we are ready to send these to you we will be back in touch.

Please accept our apologies for this error and any inconvenience or disappointment it may have caused.

Kind regards,
Zavvi Customer Service Team

plasterface 11th November 2013 06:04 PM

wicker disc

I wonder which disc

the theatrical/director's cut dvd?
the theatrical/director's cut blu ray?
the soundtrack cd?

Paul@TheOverlook 11th November 2013 06:31 PM

No idea but I should think it's not the CD. Aren't those other two cuts on the one disc? Could be wrong but that what I'd be lead to believe.

plasterface 11th November 2013 07:42 PM

wicker disc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 377099)
No idea but I should think it's not the CD. Aren't those other two cuts on the one disc? Could be wrong but that what I'd be lead to believe.

yeah hopefully its those two cuts on a blu ray disc , but in the first place would have preffered the standard double blu , cd set than the blu/dvd the steelbook provided . Still cant grumble was'nt expecting this e-mail.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th November 2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plasterface (Post 377132)
yeah hopefully its those two cuts on a blu ray disc , but in the first place would have preffered the standard double blu , cd set than the blu/dvd the steelbook provided . Still cant grumble was'nt expecting this e-mail.

I received that e-mail as well and guess Zavvi are sending out the second disc with the theatrical and director's cuts. I wasn't expecting it and have the three disc release as well, but this is a really nice gesture by Zavvi and StudioCanal.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th November 2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 377049)
Bizarre - received this emal from Zavvi just today:

Hi Paul

Thank you for purchasing “The Wicker Man - The Final Cut - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook”.

As you may already be aware when we first announced this title it was expected to be a 3 disc release containing extra cuts of the movie, unfortunately it has come to our attention that the product only contained a 2 disc version.

We have contacted the studio responsible for the release of The Wicker Man and arrangements have been made to send the missing third disc to you. As soon as we are ready to send these to you we will be back in touch.

Please accept our apologies for this error and any inconvenience or disappointment it may have caused.

Kind regards,
Zavvi Customer Service Team

Just recieved this as well.

Vipp 20th November 2013 09:48 PM

Guys this has confused me somewhat... which should i be asking for christmas? the blu-ray set or the dvd set?

Paul@TheOverlook 21st November 2013 10:17 AM

Blu-ray but make sure you find the version that suits you best. The Steelbook doesn't contain the soundtrack...

Talking of the Steelbook - the "missing" Disc 2 arrived this morning :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st November 2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 379134)
Blu-ray but make sure you find the version that suits you best. The Steelbook doesn't contain the soundtrack...

Talking of the Steelbook - the "missing" Disc 2 arrived this morning :)

I had a shipping confirmation e-mail from Zavvi yesterday, so hopefully mine will arrive today as well.

Rik 21st November 2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vipp (Post 379049)
Guys this has confused me somewhat... which should i be asking for christmas? the blu-ray set or the dvd set?

I have the 3 disc BD set, and it's brilliant, the inclusion of the soundtrack CD is a nice touch (even though I haven't listened to it yet)