Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   ON THE TRAIL OF THE WICKER MAN (Robin Hardy) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/470-trail-wicker-man-robin-hardy.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th May 2010 11:45 PM

That's her head super-imposed on a body double from Glasgow.....

Presumably Rod didn't manage to buy up ALL the copies then.....? ;)

vincenzo 25th May 2010 11:47 PM

Mine comes in a gatefold sleeve (no puns please). :laugh:

scartissuefilms 26th May 2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 81472)
Where you going from mate?

It's a fair old trek down to that cave.....

I live in Manchester. Seems like a cool place to visit anyway. been meaning to have a mooch round Scotland for a while.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th May 2010 09:12 PM

Ach,won't take long from Manchester mate.
If you're a fan of the film,then this area is A MUST visit.
Every location (except the cave and Stranraer Harbour) is within half an hour's driving distance.:nod:

Steamcarrot 28th May 2010 04:32 PM

I have to add my vote for The Wicker Man being not only the best British horror film but one of the best British films period. One of the outstanding aspects for me is that seems at odds with every other horror film every produced, it's true original with an ambience all of its own. Coupled with an ending that decries the so-called 'power of good' in such a strong and shocking way it's no wonder that film is still discussed with such verve 37 years later.

I too have spent a couple of holidays in the area tracking down the locations, thankfully not a hard task due to its status. The track to Ninian's Cave is an absolute must as the beach itself is otherworldly as the film itself. Anworth was another stunning location that is instantly recognisable. There is still a small round delve in the grass where the maypole was situated!

One of my bosses friends was a kid in the area at the time and was actually one of the kids dancing round the maypole. Alas I have never met him to quiz him about the filming.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 28th May 2010 08:27 PM

:welcome: To the forums Steam.
With opinions like that,you and I will get on just fine!:cool:

Where else did you hit?

Steamcarrot 29th May 2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man (Post 82458)
:welcome: To the forums Steam.
With opinions like that,you and I will get on just fine!:cool:

Where else did you hit?

We also took in the Ellangowan for a pint and had a decent walk round Kirkcudbright. Also the libarary in Whithorn (Willow's bedroom eluded me alas), the exterior of what was The Green Man in Gatehouse Of Fleet, Stranraer harbour and of course Burrow Head to to see the stumps of the stumps! With my visits being during winter certain areas like Port Logan and Castle Kennedy were closed to the public but that at least gives a good reason to go back!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th May 2010 03:09 PM

Been to all those areas you mention.
Lovely part of Scotland,and easily accessible from one main road.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th July 2010 08:58 PM

Sir Christopher Lee's swansong.....:(

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...equel-1.932264

LineSix 9th July 2010 07:03 PM

Just been reading up on this recently, it's due for a September release apparently. Also, Christopher Lee won't be playing Summerisle apparently, he just seems to be credited as 'Old man' now. I know his role in the film has been drastically reduced but I at least hoped he would appear as Summerisle in the film and not some generically named 'filler' character, it would give it that extra bit of a 'nostalgia' feeling if it was the same character from the original film.

I currently have mixed feelings about this, it could turn out to be an enjoyable and impressive addition to sit alongside the original Wicker Man or it could turn out to be another awful attempt to cash-in on the original film and it will quickly be forgotten like the remake. Looks like we are just going to have to wait and see.