Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2010, 11:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's her head super-imposed on a body double from Glasgow.....

Presumably Rod didn't manage to buy up ALL the copies then.....?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:47 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Mine comes in a gatefold sleeve (no puns please).
Old 26th May 2010, 01:25 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man View Post
Where you going from mate?

It's a fair old trek down to that cave.....
I live in Manchester. Seems like a cool place to visit anyway. been meaning to have a mooch round Scotland for a while.

All subscriptions gladly returned.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Ach,won't take long from Manchester mate.
If you're a fan of the film,then this area is A MUST visit.
Every location (except the cave and Stranraer Harbour) is within half an hour's driving distance.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th May 2010, 04:32 PM
Cult Rookie

I have to add my vote for The Wicker Man being not only the best British horror film but one of the best British films period. One of the outstanding aspects for me is that seems at odds with every other horror film every produced, it's true original with an ambience all of its own. Coupled with an ending that decries the so-called 'power of good' in such a strong and shocking way it's no wonder that film is still discussed with such verve 37 years later.

I too have spent a couple of holidays in the area tracking down the locations, thankfully not a hard task due to its status. The track to Ninian's Cave is an absolute must as the beach itself is otherworldly as the film itself. Anworth was another stunning location that is instantly recognisable. There is still a small round delve in the grass where the maypole was situated!

One of my bosses friends was a kid in the area at the time and was actually one of the kids dancing round the maypole. Alas I have never met him to quiz him about the filming.
Old 28th May 2010, 08:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

To the forums Steam.
With opinions like that,you and I will get on just fine!

Where else did you hit?

Old 29th May 2010, 02:46 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man View Post
To the forums Steam.
With opinions like that,you and I will get on just fine!

Where else did you hit?
We also took in the Ellangowan for a pint and had a decent walk round Kirkcudbright. Also the libarary in Whithorn (Willow's bedroom eluded me alas), the exterior of what was The Green Man in Gatehouse Of Fleet, Stranraer harbour and of course Burrow Head to to see the stumps of the stumps! With my visits being during winter certain areas like Port Logan and Castle Kennedy were closed to the public but that at least gives a good reason to go back!
Old 29th May 2010, 03:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Been to all those areas you mention.
Lovely part of Scotland,and easily accessible from one main road.

Old 8th July 2010, 08:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sir Christopher Lee's swansong.....

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...equel-1.932264

Old 9th July 2010, 07:03 PM
Active Cultist

Just been reading up on this recently, it's due for a September release apparently. Also, Christopher Lee won't be playing Summerisle apparently, he just seems to be credited as 'Old man' now. I know his role in the film has been drastically reduced but I at least hoped he would appear as Summerisle in the film and not some generically named 'filler' character, it would give it that extra bit of a 'nostalgia' feeling if it was the same character from the original film.

I currently have mixed feelings about this, it could turn out to be an enjoyable and impressive addition to sit alongside the original Wicker Man or it could turn out to be another awful attempt to cash-in on the original film and it will quickly be forgotten like the remake. Looks like we are just going to have to wait and see.

Like this? Share it using the links below!