Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree344Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2011, 06:22 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Where did you all first discover what is arguably the most odd,yet original horror films of all time......?
From a picture of Edward Woodward with the Hand Of Glory in one of Alan Frank's horror film books around the late 70s/very early 80s. I then kept an eye out for it and watched the next BBC screening and fell in love with it.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 31st August 2011 at 06:37 PM.
Old 31st August 2011, 06:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default wicker's world

must have seen it when i was about twelve on tv, i did'nt know what the hell was going on but i was hooked
Old 31st August 2011, 06:49 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've just remembered exactly what it was that drew me to The Wicker Man. I was at uni in the Waterstones and there was a rack of magazines by the door, amongst which was one with the 'Here's Johnny' still from The Shining on the front cover and, inside the front cover was an advertisement for the DVD of The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen.

After paying £4.99 for this collector's edition of The Greatest Horror Movies Ever: the Definitive Guide by Empire, I read through it several times and, aside from the section on the supernatural which featured The Exorcist, I was fascinated by the Nightmare Movies chapter which featured a burning wooden effigy of a man and, after reading about The Wicker Man, I was desperate to see it and put it at the top of the 'shopping list' I compiled whilst reading the guide.

Along with numerous other films I bought because of it, my love affair with the film hasn't gone away.
plasterface likes this.
Old 31st August 2011, 07:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Where did you all first discover what is arguably the most odd,yet original horror films of all time......?
My grandparents always babysat for me on Saturday nights whilst my parents went out up to the age of 12 and i always used to watch the BBC double bill of horror, usually consisting of a classic Universal monster movie followed by a Hammer or other gothic chiller.

I probably watched it at this time, i remember it scared the life out of me, more so than Alien or Scanners or the other so called "cool" films at the time.

It became one of THE films to collect when i first became fascinated by gothic horror on video and my love for the genre has stayed with me ever since.

If it came to the crunch and i had to lose most of my collection, then forget Arrow, Shameless mean nothing, Code Red are unimportant. The Devil Rides Out, Blood on Satan's Claw, The Wicker Man and their ilk are the ones that stay.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default empire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've just remembered exactly what it was that drew me to The Wicker Man. I was at uni in the Waterstones and there was a rack of magazines by the door, amongst which was one with the 'Here's Johnny' still from The Shining on the front cover and, inside the front cover was an advertisement for the DVD of The Exorcist: The Version You've Never Seen.

After paying £4.99 for this collector's edition of The Greatest Horror Movies Ever: the Definitive Guide by Empire, I read through it several times and, aside from the section on the supernatural which featured The Exorcist, I was fascinated by the Nightmare Movies chapter which featured a burning wooden effigy of a man and, after reading about The Wicker Man, I was desperate to see it and put it at the top of the 'shopping list' I compiled whilst reading the guide.

Along with numerous other films I bought because of it, my love affair with the film hasn't gone away.
That's one of my fave horror mags got it when it came out ,seen pretty much all films in there apart from the keep
Old 31st August 2011, 08:31 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
That's one of my fave horror mags got it when it came out ,seen pretty much all films in there apart from the keep
I'd need to check, but I think I've seen every film in the magazine now. It's a great guide which is really well written and with some great selections. It should probably go in the Horror Reference Books thread!
plasterface likes this.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I'd need to check, but I think I've seen every film in the magazine now. It's a great guide which is really well written and with some great selections. It should probably go in the Horror Reference Books thread!
Yeah! Got that in my wardrobe somewhere. Think I was already aware of most of the films included when I bought it, but I know it got me to seek out Carnival of Souls. It also has a full-page photo of Linda Blair in full Exorcist make-up that always freaked me out when I turned the page . . .
plasterface likes this.
Old 31st August 2011, 09:26 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
My grandparents always babysat for me on Saturday nights whilst my parents went out up to the age of 12 and i always used to watch the BBC double bill of horror, usually consisting of a classic Universal monster movie followed by a Hammer or other gothic chiller.

I probably watched it at this time, i remember it scared the life out of me, more so than Alien or Scanners or the other so called "cool" films at the time.

It became one of THE films to collect when i first became fascinated by gothic horror on video and my love for the genre has stayed with me ever since.

If it came to the crunch and i had to lose most of my collection, then forget Arrow, Shameless mean nothing, Code Red are unimportant. The Devil Rides Out, Blood on Satan's Claw, The Wicker Man and their ilk are the ones that stay.
Weird, I was just about to post an almost identical post.
Old 31st August 2011, 10:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Weird, I was just about to post an almost identical post.
Go for it .
Old 31st August 2011, 10:25 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I still have that magazine-they only gave it four stars I'm sure-the bloody cheek!
plasterface likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!