Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   ON THE TRAIL OF THE WICKER MAN (Robin Hardy) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/470-trail-wicker-man-robin-hardy.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2008 07:49 PM

ON THE TRAIL OF THE WICKER MAN (Robin Hardy)

4 Attachment(s)
One of my personal faves this,a true cult classic that is endlessly rewatchable....
Last year my tribe and I went on holiday to Dumfries and Galloway.
Once there,I took them to Kirkudbright,where quite a few scenes were filmed.
The girl in the tourist info was very helpful,and remembered it quite well,as she was only a pup when they were actually filming it.....
She showed me an original copy of a local newspaper from the time,which included photos of the key cast members,and photos of the harbour scene,which was filmed in Stranraer.
I managed to find a bookshop and picked up copies of THE CULT OF THE WICKER MAN and the novel of the film,which incidentally,contains scenes which were obviously never filmed.
I will be going back there this year and will try to go to the hilltop,where they actually filmed Woodward being sacraficed.....
What's everyone's opinion of this (in my opinion) arguably the best British horror film ever made.....
Meanwhile,take a look at these pics I took and see if you recognize any of the locations.....;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2008 07:50 PM

and also..................

Peter Neal 10th June 2008 07:52 PM

Amazing film and one of a kind,too...that is untill they might get the sequel off the ground.:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2008 07:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and also..................the woman in the tourist info remembered them filming at picture 7.....anyone recognize this from the 'Director's cut' maybe?
I thought it might be the scene where Britt Ekland is talking to Woodward outside the pub......:confused:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 7902)
Amazing film and one of a kind,too...that is untill they might get the sequel off the ground.:cool:

Is that the 'Cowboys for Christ' thing Peter?

trench 10th June 2008 08:12 PM

It's a masterpiece, one of the (my) all time greats. My da loves it too. I don't really like the directors cut though, mainly because it introduces Summerisle much too soon. I realise that if the directors cut is all anyone had ever seen then this wouldn't be an issue, but his introduction, as it is in the theatrical cut, is fantastic, unbelievable. Woodward and Lee are just ****ing amazing in this film, although I'd have plenty of time for Lee at the best of times.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2008 08:15 PM

I don't think Woodward ever reached the same heights again in anything he ever did.....a perfect piece of casting....:cool:

Peter Neal 10th June 2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 7905)
Is that the 'Cowboys for Christ' thing Peter?

Yes, that's the one I was referring to.
There was an interesting discussion about the sequel on ABUK, but it died out when the shoot got cancelled at the last minute.:(
If I recall correctly, the project might still happen at some later point- after some readjustments to the plot and financing.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 10th June 2008 08:24 PM

As long as they don't let Neil the butt and Nicolarse Cage near it mate;)...But hey let's not stray away from the original classic......Vince,infraction me for straying off topic....:D
What's the best dvd version you all own?

trench 10th June 2008 08:36 PM

I only have one version of it, the Studio Canal double dvd released years ago in the black and white slipcase. It has that extra with Lee and I think Anthony Schaffer or Robin Hardy being interviewed on some no budget American cable channel promoting the movie way back when. And when I say no budget American cable channel, it really was. Probably public access or something, there's a step ladder in the background and everything! But Lee is just a true professional, gets on with the job at hand.

Nice bit here from some online rag :

Quote:

Veteran actor EDWARD WOODWARD has vowed never to watch the 2006 remake of his thriller THE WICKER MAN - because it could never live up to the legacy of the original.
The 77-year-old star was baffled by the decision to modernise his 1973 horror, and insists he has no desire to watch Nicolas Cage take on his role as a policeman investigating strange occurances on a remote island.
He says, "I didn't watch it. I didn't feel like it. If it was a run-of-the-mill movie then fine. But The Wicker Man was very special and has claimed a cult following."