Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Deranged (1974) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5038-deranged-1974-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th March 2011 05:02 PM

Deranged (1974)

4 Attachment(s)
A rather nasty under-rated gem from co-directors Jeff Gillen and Alan Ormsby, Deranged is another film that capitalises on the notoriety of the Ed Gein murders, to tell the tale of a grave-robbing farmer seeking 'companions' for himself and the body of his deceased mother, who he keeps at his farmhouse.

Trailer:

One of my favourite films from the '70s, this can easily be picked up on US DVD as part of the Midnite Movies series along with Motel Hell, however this film is sorely overdue a decent UK release in my opinion.

Are there any other fans of this fine film?

kingofwitches666 20th March 2011 07:01 PM

Yep I'm a big fan BE. A cracking film.

I own the German 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition dvd which I wouldn't part with for love or money. Great stuff. :D

bdc 20th March 2011 08:14 PM

I own the French dvd (which has the deleted footage as an extra) and the US dvd (Motel Hell is fun as well). ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th March 2011 08:22 PM

I'm yet to pick this one up on DVD - but have been tempted by the Midnite Movies double on multiple occasions! ;)

I think Vipco released this a few years ago, but I highly suspect that it was cut, unfortunately.

I'd love to see this get a proper release over here. :nod:

Make Them Die Slowly 20th March 2011 08:57 PM

This was one of the last films that freaked me out a little bit on viewing. It was the scene where the Gein character is decked out like one of the corpses then suddenly moved, I crapped myself.

I've got the Midnite Movies release but have heard it's cut?

bdc 20th March 2011 09:22 PM

It's missing some footage.
But I'm not certain the director intended it to be in the final cut.
Seems MGM also had access to the footage but they considered the quality too poor?

Splatterdragon73 25th March 2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 137238)
I own the German 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition dvd. Great stuff. :D

So do i as well as owning MGM's lesser R1 release.

An enjoyable early '70s gem which i would ideally like to see Arrow tackle at some point.:)

Vampix 25th March 2011 03:51 PM

I've heard the missing footage includes some early Tom Savini FX work involving an eyeball and brain removal with a spoon! I'd love to see this get a fully uncut UK release, but the cheapness of the R1 MGM DVD release may just tempt me. :)

Pete 28th March 2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 137266)
I'm yet to pick this one up on DVD - but have been tempted by the Midnite Movies double on multiple occasions! ;)

I think Vipco released this a few years ago, but I highly suspect that it was cut, unfortunately.

I'd love to see this get a proper release over here. :nod:

I think it was out on the Exploited label but it definitely wasn't Vipco. Unless the released it back in the pre-cert days.

Great film, had the german dvd but got rid of it.

Vampix 6th May 2011 03:36 PM

I recently got the MGM DVD of Deranged, as it was going quite cheaply.I've always wanted to see Deranged after reading about it and Bob Clark's Deathdream in Tom Savini's Grande Illusions book.I also picked up Blue Underground's Deathdream DVD and was quite pleasantly surprised to find the gore footage cut from Deranged is included in the DVD's featurette on Savini's early FX work. :)