Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Deranged (1974) (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5038-deranged-1974-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th March 2011 04:02 PM

Deranged (1974)

4 Attachment(s)
A rather nasty under-rated gem from co-directors Jeff Gillen and Alan Ormsby, Deranged is another film that capitalises on the notoriety of the Ed Gein murders, to tell the tale of a grave-robbing farmer seeking 'companions' for himself and the body of his deceased mother, who he keeps at his farmhouse.

Trailer:

One of my favourite films from the '70s, this can easily be picked up on US DVD as part of the Midnite Movies series along with Motel Hell, however this film is sorely overdue a decent UK release in my opinion.

Are there any other fans of this fine film?

kingofwitches666 20th March 2011 06:01 PM

Yep I'm a big fan BE. A cracking film.

I own the German 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition dvd which I wouldn't part with for love or money. Great stuff. :D

bdc 20th March 2011 07:14 PM

I own the French dvd (which has the deleted footage as an extra) and the US dvd (Motel Hell is fun as well). ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th March 2011 07:22 PM

I'm yet to pick this one up on DVD - but have been tempted by the Midnite Movies double on multiple occasions! ;)

I think Vipco released this a few years ago, but I highly suspect that it was cut, unfortunately.

I'd love to see this get a proper release over here. :nod:

Make Them Die Slowly 20th March 2011 07:57 PM

This was one of the last films that freaked me out a little bit on viewing. It was the scene where the Gein character is decked out like one of the corpses then suddenly moved, I crapped myself.

I've got the Midnite Movies release but have heard it's cut?

bdc 20th March 2011 08:22 PM

It's missing some footage.
But I'm not certain the director intended it to be in the final cut.
Seems MGM also had access to the footage but they considered the quality too poor?

Splatterdragon73 25th March 2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 137238)
I own the German 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition dvd. Great stuff. :D

So do i as well as owning MGM's lesser R1 release.

An enjoyable early '70s gem which i would ideally like to see Arrow tackle at some point.:)

Vampix 25th March 2011 02:51 PM

I've heard the missing footage includes some early Tom Savini FX work involving an eyeball and brain removal with a spoon! I'd love to see this get a fully uncut UK release, but the cheapness of the R1 MGM DVD release may just tempt me. :)

Pete 28th March 2011 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 137266)
I'm yet to pick this one up on DVD - but have been tempted by the Midnite Movies double on multiple occasions! ;)

I think Vipco released this a few years ago, but I highly suspect that it was cut, unfortunately.

I'd love to see this get a proper release over here. :nod:

I think it was out on the Exploited label but it definitely wasn't Vipco. Unless the released it back in the pre-cert days.

Great film, had the german dvd but got rid of it.

Vampix 6th May 2011 03:36 PM

I recently got the MGM DVD of Deranged, as it was going quite cheaply.I've always wanted to see Deranged after reading about it and Bob Clark's Deathdream in Tom Savini's Grande Illusions book.I also picked up Blue Underground's Deathdream DVD and was quite pleasantly surprised to find the gore footage cut from Deranged is included in the DVD's featurette on Savini's early FX work. :)

zombifud 24th August 2011 02:19 PM

Great film, I have both the MGM and german uncut releases. One of my favorites, it has such a strange feel that I could never put my finger on.

Mojo 24th August 2011 03:47 PM

It was indeed released on UK VHS by Exploited and, as I recall, had the eye/brain scooping footage ( which is of lesser quality ) integrated into the movie. Mind you, the end killing was cut by James 'Speilberg' Ferman.

I have the ( incomplete ) MGM disc, but would love to see it get the Arrow treatment.

I also seem to recall that Exploited weren't allowed to use the famous ' hanging upside down by the legs' poster because it was deemed obscene. Or something. Maybe they should have put a red bow on it as was done with the first Tenebrae dvd. Christ, things were crap back then! :pound:

it'smebilly 24th August 2011 09:37 PM

I'd also love an Arrow release of this also. Has that great stark and desolate atmosphere mostly unique to many Canadian horror films.

I know BU have released Deathdream but how about Arrow do a BD of this also?

zombifud 24th August 2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 176584)
I'd also love an Arrow release of this also. Has that great stark and desolate atmosphere mostly unique to many Canadian horror films.

I know BU have released Deathdream but how about Arrow do a BD of this also?

I second this!

Rik 25th August 2011 07:37 AM

Never seen this film, although I've wanted to for ages, is the MGM double feature disc any good as it's a damn sight cheaper than the 30th anniversary edition mentioned earlier?

The boat can leave now, tell the crew

zombifud 25th August 2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 176621)
Never seen this film, although I've wanted to for ages, is the MGM double feature disc any good as it's a damn sight cheaper than the 30th anniversary edition mentioned earlier?

It's pretty cool just cut. It comes with Motel Hell which is a fun movie.

Rik 25th August 2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zombifud (Post 176645)
It's pretty cool just cut. It comes with Motel Hell which is a fun movie.

I might have to check it out, like I said I've wanted to see it for ages

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th May 2013 02:34 AM

Well, Arrow have answered our wishes with regards to this one. Hopefully it will be a good release.

mad mac 22nd August 2013 10:38 PM

Yep, it is a great release of a grungy little classic.

Tom Savini is on fine form in his commentary.

Yep - I've reviewed this over at Avforums. Check it out.

I must be close to being able to post links soon! Lol.

Cheers guys,

Chris McEneany

it'smebilly 22nd August 2013 10:44 PM

A fantastic release for a fantastic film, very highly recommended.

I'd like deathdream on BD next, another little gem of a film.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Misericordia 23rd August 2013 01:37 AM

Great movie. In particular I love the sequence of the food, with Ezra, Mary and the group of corpses, with Ezra teaching to "his girlfriend" the gadgets he has created with human remains, a kind of drum, an ashtray, etc. .. Brutal.

xombi87 27th April 2014 12:44 AM

Very disturbing film, i have it in a 2 pack with Motel Hell.

vinncent 10th August 2014 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xombi87 (Post 401536)
Very disturbing film, i have it in a 2 pack with Motel Hell.

Oh you mean the cut version!;)

VeZius 11th August 2014 06:07 AM

I bought this from the recent Arrow sale and watched it shortly after. Really liked the film a lot! I'll never think of organ music or the old man from Home Alone the same way tho. :lol: