Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1977 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5235-your-favourite-horror-film-1977-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 04:51 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1977

3 Attachment(s)
1977 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1977 is...

Martin - George A. Romero

A fantastic modern take on the Vampire mythos, Martin is one of Romero's finest films. Not your atypical vampire film, it is more about Martin's struggle with his thirst, and the conflicts between himself and his deeply religious uncle who believes Martin to be 'cursed' and a 'nosferatu'. Brilliantly original, and almost poetic, Martin is probably not most people's favourite horror film form '77, but it certainly is mine.

Trailer:

Runners Up:
Eraserhead
Hausu
The Hills Have Eyes
Hitch-Hike
The Last House on Dead End Street
Suspiria

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:33 PM

Martin is a classic movie, but the best horror film from 1977 is, without a shadow of a doubt (in my mind anyway), Dario Argento's tour de force of psychological horror: Suspiria.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141652)
Martin is a classic movie, but the best horror film from 1977 is, without a shadow of a doubt (in my mind anyway), Dario Argento's tour de force of psychological horror: Suspiria.

Funnily enough, I started this thread off with Suspiria (I had the trailer in place and everything!), before suddenly I remembered Martin. Tops Suspiria, for me (even though Suspiria is a fantastic film with one of the best scores ever composed!) and is my favourite Vampire movie ever made - despite being so unconventional.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 01:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Suspiria

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 141732)
Suspiria

Quote:

The Only Thing More Terrifying Than The Last 12 Minutes Of This Film Are The First 92.
In my opinion, this film has the finest opening section of any horror film, regardless of era.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141737)
In my opinion, this film has the finest opening section of any horror film, regardless of era.

fact

Vampix 9th April 2011 04:06 PM

Michael Winner's The Sentinel for me, outrageous fun (and spooky in parts too).I've always found Suspiria overrated, and Martin a bit boring.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 04:12 PM

:) Vampix, your being quite annoying. Always listing films i haven't seen - The Sentinel and oddly Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Vampix 9th April 2011 04:16 PM

You have to see both, they're brilliant! :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 07:16 PM

MARTIN,SUSPIRIA are both brilliant films,but this is easy for me-the best film of this year is easily Craven's take on Sawney Bean and his tribe,THE HILLS HAVE EYES.
Gritty violent and raw,this takes some beating.

The caves where Sawney Bean frequented are down the Ayrshire coast on the road to Stranraer.
Not far from a certain mod on here......:shocked: :lol:

Other good 'uns from this year are;

Wiederhorn's SHOCK WAVES
Hooper's DEATH TRAP/EATEN ALIVE
Cronenberg's RABID
Anderson's ORCA THE KILLER WHALE
and of course
Boorman's EXORCIST II:THE HERETIC :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 07:50 PM

I completely forgot about Rabid -- it's such an unusual movie and I'm no idea how Cronenberg elicited such a great performance from Marilyn Chambers. Looking back, it's not on the same level as films like Videodrome, The Fly or, particularly, Dead Ringers, but it's unforgettable and a 'body horror' classic.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 03:21 PM

Yep, The Sentinel is a great film. :nod:

Not a fan of The Exorcist II, though. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141924)

Not a fan of The Exorcist II, though. ;)

I'm not surprised -- I've yet to meet someone who is!

Peter Neal 10th April 2011 04:27 PM

Despite me being a huge Argento fan, it's the original "The Hills Have Eyes" for me- again a title which comes with a healthy dose of 80's video nostalgia.:popcorn:

Now here's a curious anecdote you might have heard before:

For some strange reason the mutants got changed into ALIENS in the original German dub, which provides some unforgettably cheesy dialogues but strangly enough doesn't hurt the film's impact in the slightest.
That last shot of the film before the screen gets red is one of my all time fave finales in the whole genre!:rockon:

But I also like:

Hitch-Hike
The Last House on Dead End Street
Suspiria

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 141936)
Despite me being a huge Argento fan, it's the original "The Hills Have Eyes" for me- again a title which comes with a healthy dose of 80's video nostalgia.:popcorn:

Now here's a curious anecdote you might have heard before:

For some strange reason the mutants got changed into ALIENS in the original German dub, which provides some unforgettably cheesy dialogues but strangly enough doesn't hurt the film's impact in the slightest.

Excellent - THE HILLS HAVE ALIEN EYES

Peter Neal 10th April 2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 141943)
Excellent - THE HILLS HAVE ALIEN EYES

With villains named "Pluto", "Mars" and "Papa Jupe" ("Jupiter" in the German version), it's not hard to guess how the German dialogue translator got a bit "creative" with his treatment of the source, though the deeper motivation for the changes remains a mystery...:p

It might be a bit heretic, but I like "Hills '77" best WITH its "70's alien dub" intact :rockon:, even though newer (post remake) German DVDs offer an alternate, faithful dub.:nod:

Those who own the ABUK SE of "Hills" can take a peak at the German trailer- "alien references" included.:loco::popcorn:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th April 2011 06:29 PM

Well Michael Berryman is rather Alien looking mate!:happy:

EXORCIST II THE HERETIC isn't that bad!

Jani 14th April 2011 06:47 PM

My favourite from this year is...Rituals.Extremely creepy survival horror that puts Deliverance to shame.Runner-ups are Suspiria,The Sentinel & The Hills Have Eyes.Waiting for my copy of Code Red's DVD of Rituals,should be mine any day now.So far all VHS and DVD copies have been crap,but that's gonna change,me hopes.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th April 2011 06:50 PM

Rituals was one of the many DVDs (and BDs) that have been delivered this week and is in the queue to be part of my evening's viewing. I've read nothing but good things so it's something I'm really looking forward to.

rebo11 1st June 2011 08:27 PM

Susperia

Gotta go with "Susperia". Few films resonate throughout the genre the way Argento's masterpiece does. The opening sequence alone is worth the price of admission.

"Susperia" is one of those films that works by engaging the senses on so many levels. The sumptuous colors, the eerie music, the dizzying unreality of the world it creates make it one of the most influential films of the genre regardless of year or decade.

Baseball Fury 2nd August 2011 04:56 PM

The mighty Suspiria, not only is it visually stunning, not only does it have one of the best openings ever, but it hands down has the best score ever put on film.

Gojirosan 2nd August 2011 05:13 PM

Eraserhead, Martin, Rabid, Hausu, Rituals...all these films ought to be in with excellent chances of taking the crown...unfortunately for them, this is the year of Suspiria. And there are very few films that can compare with Suspiria in my book.

thelostclassics 7th September 2011 07:16 PM

Has to be my second favourite horror film - Suspiria (what a nightmarish fairytale).
Runner ups
The Hills Have Eyes
Rabid
The Sentinel

jiraffejustin 23rd October 2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 170740)
The mighty Suspiria, not only is it visually stunning, not only does it have one of the best openings ever, but it hands down has the best score ever put on film.

Stole the words out of my keyboard.

ReturnToZero 26th November 2011 03:06 PM

I will give Suspiria another look sometime as i found it quite mediocre when i first saw it some years ago. Maybe I was expecting too much...

The Sentinel as some mentioned is just awful, really awful :doh:

Slippery Jack 26th November 2011 03:11 PM

Oof, between Martin and Suspiria, that's a bloody tricky one :mmph: ...

... I'm going with Martin cuz I saw it first . . .

GangsterQ 28th June 2012 08:27 PM

my fave is bava's shock.

wonderlust 28th June 2012 08:42 PM

The Sentinel
Bava's Shock
Suspiria
Axe, aka Lisa, Lisa
Martin

Splat 3rd August 2012 03:21 PM

Martin IS brilliant!

vipco 3rd August 2012 04:02 PM

Zombie Flesh Eaters
Zombie Creeping Flesh
Cannibal Ferox
Cannibal Holocaust.

klownz 16th May 2013 03:07 PM

suspiria/eraserhead/hausu

Hausu is my favorite of these three though, trippy shiz:rockon:

SCM 16th May 2013 03:09 PM

Eraserhead, Suspiria, The Hills Have Eyes and Rabid

profondo rosso 16th May 2013 06:03 PM

Night of the demon 1957
The Shinning
Dawn of the Dead 1978
The Devil Rides Out

Rik 16th May 2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 342046)
Night of the demon 1957
The Shinning
Dawn of the Dead 1978
The Devil Rides Out

Not one of those was released in 1977 :lol: :confused:

Slippery Jack 16th May 2013 08:04 PM

...and he appears to like the Simpsons spoof version of The Shining ;) . . .

nosferatu42 16th May 2013 10:04 PM

Got 2 be suspiria, but love Hausu & Martin too. :pop2:

profondo rosso 18th May 2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 342046)
Night of the demon 1957
The Shinning
Dawn of the Dead 1978
The Devil Rides Out

Doh! always read the instructions! typical bloke I suppose:doh:

Nordicdusk 17th March 2015 02:54 AM

Martin

George A Romero tried something quite different from the run of the mill vampire movies of the time and boy did it work.

https://horrorpediadotcom.files.word...mero-title.gif

stephen42 10th January 2017 09:53 AM

My favorite horror film from 1977 is also my favorite horror film of all time....Dario Argentos Suspiria.

trebor8273 10th January 2017 10:25 AM

i would say rabid, but looks from this a few good ones that year, never seen or heard of the possessed from that year anyone seen it?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...7j0l5.5341j0j7