Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1974 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5238-your-favourite-horror-film-1974-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 04:53 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1974

3 Attachment(s)
1974 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1974 is...

[CENTER]Black Christmas - Bob Clark

This film epitomises what the slasher genre is all about, and is a masterclass in suspense and terror. Chilling and macabre, not only is the best seasonal slasher, it is one of the best the genre has to offer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6JuJHmVsh4

Runners Up:
Blood for Dracula
The Cars That Ate Paris
Deathdream
Deranged
Frightmare
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
The Perfume of the Lady in Black
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 08:17 PM

I'm going to have to vote against you again as, not only is it clearly my favourite film from 1974, but is one of my all-time favourite films: The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. I first saw it following a blind buy on DVD in the BBFC classified it in 1999 when I was young, impressionable and first getting into horror and it made an indelible impression on me which has lasted to this day.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 10:37 PM

Even though I recognise Hooper's TCM to be a classic of the horror genre, and accept that many people place it as their favourite horror film of all time, it's another that's never been a top-tier favourite of mine. The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue would have been my second choice for '74.

Make Them Die Slowly 9th April 2011 12:14 PM

I'll go for:

TCM but also "Black Christmas", "Frightmare", "Snuff" (not released until '76), "Shriek of the Mutilated" and Vampyres.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 141709)
I'll go for:

TCM but also "Black Christmas", "Frightmare", "Snuff" (not released until '76), "Shriek of the Mutilated" and Vampyres.

:faint: Shriek of the Mutilated - genius film!

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 01:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The Loreley's Grasp

Daemonia 9th April 2011 01:47 PM

Texas Chain Saw Massacre gets my vote. It's a landmark film too and deserving of its cult and historical status.

Close contenders would be Deranged, Black Christmas, Blood for Dracula, Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue, The Ghost Galleon, It's Alive, Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter, From Beyond the Grave, Vampyres, Deathdream, The Beast Must Die, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell and The Zombies of Sugar Hill (blaxploitation fun - with zombies! genius!).

As you can see, there's a fair few films from '74 I like, but TCM still rules supreme.

Vampix 9th April 2011 03:34 PM

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Black Christmas are my overall favourites from 1974, but a new fave of mine from the same year is Pete Walker's cult classic, Frightmare.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:34 PM

Very hard year this,what with Hooper's massacre in Texas and Walker's cannibalism in the home counties...but pipping them both just,is Grau's masterpiece THE LIVING DEAD AT THE MANCHESTER MORGUE/LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE.....arguably the best zombie film ever made.

Fans of this NEED to get the BD of this from Blue Underground....:eek:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:38 PM

Other fantastic films are of course,the aforementioned BLACK CHRISTMAS,but there's also FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL and a HUGE guilty pleasure of mine-THE LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES.

FATMFH was Terence Fisher's Hammer swansong,wasn't it?