Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th April 2011, 06:58 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As I said we'll just need to agree to disagree.....I would agree about the technical points you make about THE EXORCIST,all stunning indeed,but IMO there's something special about THE WICKER MAN-The scenery,the music,the Pagan weirdness,the locations,the mystery and the sledgehammer to the head finale-something which DON'T LOOK NOW also has,and when it comes to cinematography,well it's rarely surpassed.
Venice has never looked so drab,sad but beautiful.......simply amazing.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
As I said we'll just need to agree to disagree.....I would agree about the technical points you make about THE EXORCIST,all stunning indeed,but IMO there's something special about THE WICKER MAN-The scenery,the music,the Pagan weirdness,the locations,the mystery and the sledgehammer to the head finale-something which DON'T LOOK NOW also has,and when it comes to cinematography,well it's rarely surpassed.
Venice has never looked so drab,sad but beautiful.......simply amazing.
I agree with pretty much everything you said there and (I think) rate all three films 10/10 at the IMDb but this is a question of favourites and, as I said on the previous page, The Exorcist has always been my favourite film. I don't suppose there is a wrong answer to the question 'what is your favourite film?' as every answer is the right one!
Old 15th April 2011, 09:15 AM
Active Cultist

Of all the great films made in '73 (El Ataque de los Muertos Sin Ojos,The Wicker Man,Theatre of Blood) it's still The Exorcist that stands out with most longevity and power to terrify.Not 'The Version You've Never Seen' though.It's a shame Blatty has such a problem with people making their own minds about it.
Old 15th April 2011, 09:46 AM
Cult Rookie

evil dead and friday the 13th part 2 and 3 are the best
Old 15th April 2011, 11:40 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the ultra destroyer View Post
evil dead and friday the 13th part 2 and 3 are the best
Good films, (even though I'm not that fussed over the Friday saga) none of which were made in 1973 though!
Old 1st June 2011, 07:20 PM
Cult Rookie

Default What a great year.

I think we can all agree that this was a great, great year for horror. I wonder if we will ever again see a year where so many seminal horrors emerge. We can hope.

Arguing over which is #1 between "The Wicker Man" and "The Exorcist" is like arguing between "Citizen Kane" and "Casablanca". Perhaps it is best to simply view "The Wicker Man" as a great "film" while viewing "The Exorcist" as a great "movie".

It is interesting that the two best of this stellar year both had such a strong and fundemental religious element. I've always felt being a religious person makes it much easier to be a horror fan as one already has predisposition to believing in the supernatural.

I remember like it was yesterday going to see "The Exorcist" in the theater when it first came out. I was 19 and took my 15 year old girlfriend to see it with a large group of friends. When Regan's head turned around she started screaming hysterically and we almost had to leave the theater. Ah for those halcyon days.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:15 PM
Cult Rookie

I liked The Exorcist and I thought that the story behind it was very well produced. Although, I never found anything that frightened me in the movie but that's probably because I'm not very fragile minded and I've seen plenty of horror films in the past.
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Don't Look Now, The Exorcist and The Wicker Man?

Tough tough year, but in a flaming photo finish, The Wicker Man takes it
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:54 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Wicker Man. No other film comes close, not even Don't Look Now.

I hate The Exorcist.
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

I hate The Exorcist.
Nice to know I'm not the only one!

Like this? Share it using the links below!