Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2011, 04:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Question Your Favourite Horror Film from 1970

1970 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1970 is...

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - Dario Argento

The first gialli by one of the Italian Masters of the genre, Argento's Bird is the first installment in his legendary 'Animal' trilogy. It's a masterclass in suspense and mystery, incorporating some truly memorable murder sequences, fantastic cinematography and a very fitting score.

Trailer:

The Famous 'Window Scene':

Runners Up:
And Soon the Darkness
Even Dwarfs Started Small
I Drink Your Blood
In the Folds of the Flesh
Scars of Dracula
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
The Vampire Lovers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thebirdwit.jpg (63.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg birdwithcrystalplumagecap.jpg (23.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg the-bird-with-the-crystal-plumage.jpg (47.3 KB, 0 views)
SCM likes this.
Old 8th April 2011, 08:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I agree with you 100% there as, although I haven't seen all the ones on your list (the only ones I haven't seen are on their way!), I would rather watch The Bird with the Crystal Plumage than any other from that year.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A message for Bizarre Eye

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. As long as you refuse to post favourite 60's films threads, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Its been running through my brain all sodding night, which are my favourite 70's films.
Old 9th April 2011, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Taste the Blood of Dracula
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammer.jpg (27.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Taste_blood_of_dracula_poster_01.jpg (91.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Taste_The_Blood_Of_Dracula_VHS01.jpg (55.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 9th April 2011, 04:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm gonna go for something different, Mark of the Devil.A cash-in on Witchfinder General maybe, but it's very nearly as good imo.
Old 9th April 2011, 06:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED and THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF take a bit of beating IMO.

Cushing is really nasty and OTT in this installment due to the rape scene,a scene which bothered him immensely.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:50 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
A message for Bizarre Eye

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. As long as you refuse to post favourite 60's films threads, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

Its been running through my brain all sodding night, which are my favourite 70's films.
My plan is working!

I'll be doing the '80s next (so get thinking! ) and then the '60s - then, by the sounds of things I'll be attending my own funeral!

Nice pick with Taste the Blood of Dracula, by the way. I slightly prefer Scars, but they are both essential Hammer films nonetheless.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

I'll be doing the '80s next (so get thinking! ) and then the '60s - then, by the sounds of things I'll be attending my own funeral!
They should be fascinating threads, especially 1968 with Rosemary's Baby and Night of the Living Dead. I don't now how I'd pick between those two.

Anyway, that's for another day, so back to 1970!
Old 9th April 2011, 07:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I'm gonna go for something different, Mark of the Devil.A cash-in on Witchfinder General maybe, but it's very nearly as good imo.
I really like Mark of the Devil - and forgot to add it to my Runners Up list. I'm in the very slim minority who prefers Mark over Witchfinder General, which itself is still a very fine film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED and THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF take a bit of beating IMO.

Cushing is really nasty and OTT in this installment due to the rape scene,a scene which bothered him immensely.
Frankenstein Must be Destroyed is another good one - I've yet to see The Man Who Haunted Himself, though.
Old 9th April 2011, 08:11 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I really like Mark of the Devil - and forgot to add it to my Runners Up list. I'm in the very slim minority who prefers Mark over Witchfinder General, which itself is still a very fine film.

Frankenstein Must be Destroyed is another good one - I've yet to see The Man Who Haunted Himself, though.
Witchfinder General is a brilliant movie that makes Michael Reeves' suicide all the more tragic but I still like the (inferior) Mark of the Devil.

It seems this section will end up costing us both money as I now really want to check out The Man Who Haunted Himself as well!

Like this? Share it using the links below!