Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2011, 05:39 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I can't remember his name at the moment, but who is stuck with a spear and dragged off by a horse? I think that one is my favourite of Lionheart's revenge killings.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 12th April 2011, 05:42 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I can't remember his name at the moment, but who is stuck with a spear and dragged off by a horse? I think that one is my favourite of Lionheart's revenge killings.
That'd be Dennis Price!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th April 2011, 05:50 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
That'd be Dennis Price!
That's the man! It's been ages since I saw Theatre of Blood, and that was when I was working my way through the R1 MGM Vincent Price collection!
Old 14th April 2011, 09:32 AM
Active Cultist

I would have to say La Noche del Terror Ciego / Tombs of the Blind Dead,even if it's way too slow by today's standards.First saw it on Redemption's uncut big box VHS release (it even had some cards in it).The Templars still put the chill to the bone in every scene they're in.
Old 14th April 2011, 12:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani View Post
I would have to say La Noche del Terror Ciego / Tombs of the Blind Dead,even if it's way too slow by today's standards.First saw it on Redemption's uncut big box VHS release (it even had some cards in it).The Templars still put the chill to the bone in every scene they're in.
Slow, yet highly atmospheric, a good choice.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:08 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jani View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Slow, yet highly atmospheric, a good choice.
Definitely a film that builds terror, rather than throwing cheap jump scares around; everytime those undead knights appear on screen, you can just feel the dread oozing from the screen! I have a huge affinity with The Blind Dead series of films and BU's Coffin box is probably my favourite DVD set that I own.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:43 PM
Active Cultist

That Coffin Box is awesome,very cool cover art on the DVD's.
Old 4th May 2011, 06:49 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That's the man! It's been ages since I saw Theatre of Blood, and that was when I was working my way through the R1 MGM Vincent Price collection!
Dennis Price was a fantastic actor. I highly recommend his little role as a body snatcher in The Horror of Frankenstein from 1970. Sleazy as hell. The movie's not too bad, either.

As for his non-horror roles: please do me the favour and watch Kind Hearts and Coronets (if you haven't done that yet) - if ever a movie has to be called fantastic, that's the one.

As for my 1971 favourite horror movie: I would chose Bay of Blood by Bava - my all-time favourite that I would crown for its cleverness of the story, the camera work, the music, the beautful Claudine Auger and, of course, the thirteen murders being rich in variety. Additionally: one of the grimmest yet best endings ever.

Greetings!
Old 4th May 2011, 07:08 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Dennis Price was a fantastic actor. I highly recommend his little role as a body snatcher in The Horror of Frankenstein from 1970. Sleazy as hell. The movie's not too bad, either.

As for his non-horror roles: please do me the favour and watch Kind Hearts and Coronets (if you haven't done that yet) - if ever a movie has to be called fantastic, that's the one.
The Horror of Frankenstein is a terrific entry in the British horror canon whilst Kind Hearts and Coronets is one of the greatest movies ever made and my favourite of all the Ealing comedies. Most of the plaudits go to Alec Guinness for his eight role performance but Dennis Price is a superb lead who really makes the film as, like Psycho and Peeping Tom, you're on the side of a psychotic killer!
Old 1st June 2011, 06:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Default 1971 Fav's

Just joined the site yesterday and am enjoying it quite a bit.

Chalk me up as another vote against "Dr. Phibes" as the best. Don't get me wrong, I love Vincent Price (he is my favorite actor) but I would put "Phibes" as fourth on the list for that year.

"Blood On Satan's Claw" has to be #1 for its uniformly excellent acting and great production. It is one of those films that I like more and more as the years go by and I wish people still made those kinds of period films.

"Tombs of the Blind Dead" would be my #2 for its creation of one of the most genuinely creepy and iconic monsters, The Templars, of the 70's (or any other decade for that matter). While the story and the acting are uneven the image of The Templars on their horses always gives me a chill. De Ossorio has some pigs in his catalog but he will always get props from me for this series.

"Bay of Blood" would be my #3 just for its influence on the films it spawned like "Friday the 13th". Those films, of course, didn't have the advantage of a maestro like Bava but they kept us entertained over the years.

Like this? Share it using the links below!