Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Your Favourite Horror Film from 1971 (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/5241-your-favourite-horror-film-1971-a.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 04:55 PM

Your Favourite Horror Film from 1971

3 Attachment(s)
1971 was a year for some brilliant horror films, but which one is your favourite? What makes it special to you? When did you first see it? Would you recommend it to the uninitiated?

Sometimes it's a hard decision to just pick one film (even when you're limiting it to a single year!), but my favourite film of 1971 is...

The Abominable Dr Phibes - Robert Fuest

This classic tale of revenge stars Vincent Price is one of his trademark roles. Deliciously macabre, and good fun too - an essential British Classic!

Trailer:

Runners Up:
A Bay of Blood
Blood on Satan's Claw
The Devils
Don't Deliver Us from Evil
Four Flies on Grey Velvet
A Lizard in a Woman's Skin
The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh
Tombs of the Blind Dead
Twins of Evil

Pete 8th April 2011 04:58 PM

BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW - Disturbing even by todays standards, one of the few films that's made me feel genuinely uncomfortable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RQB6ZDNXeM

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 141568)
BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW - Disturbing even by todays standards, one of the few films that's made me feel genuinely uncomfortable.

Nice choice - and I agree with you on it still being disturbing today - especially when Angel is trying to tempt the local priest!

Surprisingly, when I first watched Blood on Satan's Claw I didn't care for it much. It wasn't until a couple of years after, when I watched it again that I realised how good it was. Certainly one of the best Tigon films ever made.

Pete 8th April 2011 05:27 PM

I'd say it was their best film. Yeah, the scene where Angel tries to seduce the priest is disturbing. I'd say the rape scene is the most disturbing though, mainly because the actress looks so young. (I checked the IMDB and apparently she was 23/24!). I'd love to know how audiences reacted when it was released all those years ago.

The League of Gentlemen commentary on the AB disc is great.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 05:41 PM

Blood on Satans Claw is from 1970.
It was given an X certificate on 21/09/1970

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I would go with
Twins of Evil

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 141583)
I'd say it was their best film. Yeah, the scene where Angel tries to seduce the priest is disturbing. I'd say the rape scene is the most disturbing though, mainly because the actress looks so young. (I checked the IMDB and apparently she was 23/24!). I'd love to know how audiences reacted when it was released all those years ago.

The League of Gentlemen commentary on the AB disc is great.

She did look very young, and I wouldn't have thought she was as old as 23 either!

I haven't heard The League of Gentlemen commentary, unfortunately but I bet it is really good. I have this as part of the ABUK Coffin set, so I'm not sure if the commentary is on it or not - I'll have to dig it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 141586)
Blood on Satans Claw is from 1970.
It was given an X certificate on 21/09/1970

Thanks for that. All of my release year info is from IMDB, and even though they're fairly reliable, may be slightly out. Although, on checking the BBFC site, the print that was given the X Certificate on 21/09/1970 was apparently 0m 0s long! (:confused:)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 141587)
I would go with
Twins of Evil

Another one of my 'runners up' and a great, but sadly underrated Hammer film.

It's a shame, as it has a lot to offer; a great story, some nice 'Hammer Glamour' and a good turn form Cushing, too.

I'm really liking that poster art you've attached, too.

Pete 8th April 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 141597)
She did look very young, and I wouldn't have thought she was as old as 23 either!

I haven't heard The League of Gentlemen commentary, unfortunately but I bet it is really good. I have this as part of the ABUK Coffin set, so I'm not sure if the commentary is on it or not - I'll have to dig it out.

It's exclusive to that set.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th April 2011 06:45 PM

Quite like these "films of the year " threads, i'll give it some thought and research and put my choices in tomorrow.