Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:49 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Rosemary's Killer aka The Prowler was an excellent slasher.
Available uncut for the first time now in the UK.
Old 3rd October 2008, 06:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Oh boy! "Halloween"...One of THE first flicks to pull me really into the horror direction in my early teens....so I had a good while to give the series some thought every now and then.

The first "Halloween" is a cinematic masterpiece in its own right and repeatedly watchable, no doubt, but it's Part II I still rate as my personal fave because it brings so many ingrediants I love about the genre together: The hospital setting, the increased gore and improved score, more adult characters than in any other sllasher series entry worth mentioning, still banned in its uncut form in Germany in the year 2008...
"Season of the Witch" I knew for the longest time only in severely truncated form. The full version clearly was an inprovement and the Carpenter influence is still present...but although I like the movie, I was very pleased with Akkad's idea to put the series back into Michael Myers territory.
"Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers" was really the right flick at the right time in 1988 and again a flick I can rewatch endlessly. While the structure is close to the original, careful thinking obviously went into the script, which is way above average, as is the cast.
"Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers"- despite featuring my favourite title sequence with the pumpkin getting slashed into the right shape- is clearly one of the lesser entries. A rushed, unfinished feeling is carried all throughout the movie, the "creative differences" between the director Dominique Othenin-Girard and Akkad didn't help the final product either and there's lots of annoying over-acting by a mostly unlikeable cast, though little Dannielle Harris admireably gives the best performances of the pack. Pleasence at the time voiced his disaproval of the portrait of Loomis in this movie and I couldn't agree with him more. Plus I find the endless stalking of a little girl not really THAT entertaining to watch...
"The Curse of Michael Myers" in its current state is a mess, yet it tries hard to fix what's left been hanging in obscurity after the 5th installment.
The plentiful gore is neat, yet they could have found a more graceful way to finish the ordeal of Jamie Lloyd.
"H20": Here and there a return to the mood of the first two flicks is sensable, but it's way too "Scream"-ish for its own good and I can't say I fully appreciate the direction they chose for the Laurie Strode character.
"Resurrection" is awful, awful, awful...the less said the better, really...

I really liked the remake though and I rather hope for a sequel to that by the directors of "Inside" than a forced continuation to the original series.

To sum it up:

"Halloween": *****
"Halloween II": *****
"Halloween III: Season of the Witch": ***(*)
"Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers": ****
"Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers": **
"Halloween: The Cure of Michael Myers": ***
"Halloween H20" ***(*)
"Halloween: Resurrection": *
"Rob Zombie's Halloween": ****

BTW: "Bay of Blood" is a must watch for slasher fans...even in cut form...

Last edited by Peter Neal; 6th October 2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old 3rd October 2008, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I'll give 'Bay of Blood' a watch then. Cheers Peter. The idea of all the death scenes being cut kind of put me off watching it. Still, it's Bava so it should still be good, i'm a big fan of his. I rate 'Lisa and the Devil' extremely highly, I'd say it was one of my favourite films of all time.

I agree on Halloween 5. It did feel kind of unfinished and a bit rushed, especially in comparison to the excellent Halloween 4. Still, it's far better than 'Resurrection' and i'd personally take it over H20 aswell.
My favourite opening sequence was in H4, those opening shots of baron farmland and halloween decorations blowing in the wind, creepy as hell .
Old 11th October 2008, 03:58 PM
Cultist

That opening sequence in H4 gave me the heebie-geebies. The music was well chosen for that opening.

The last I read about the sequel to the reimagining of Halloween (either on Horrormovies.ca or on the Official Halloween Movies forum) was that it wasn't going to be a sequel to Resurrection. I hope it is, rather than a reimagining of Halloween II. I want to see an extras-packed DVD of the original Halloween II, not a reimagining.

I was hoping the fan made Halloween: Inferno would be released on DVD, but the last I read on the Official Halloween Movies forum was that it's not going to be released on DVD. A shame as it sounded good.

Last edited by WaveCrest; 11th October 2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Needed editing.
Old 11th October 2008, 06:29 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

So,who all be buying this then?-Stick me down for one!
I love all the HALLOWEEN films,with the exception of CURSE and RESURRECTION which are a bit bollocks IMHO-(But Myers is always worth watching).
I've a real soft spot for HALLOWEEN III even though it's not Mikey
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41UeRgIJD4L__SS500_.jpg (29.2 KB, 6 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 11th October 2008, 07:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I'm a big fan of Halloween 3 as well, although it does remind me of an episode of the Twilight Zone! I'll always remember seeing it on TV when I was a kid and being really freaked out when the masks mutated! I love the downbeat ending as well.
Old 11th October 2008, 07:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah Dean Cundey's cinematography brings it in line with I&II.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th January 2009, 07:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Just got Halloween on Blu-Ray

Stunning..........the HD makes it look like a completely different movie
Old 31st January 2009, 08:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via MSN to TheSpirit Send a message via Skype™ to TheSpirit

I loved the first 3 films, though I thought 4 was a decent film, the others didn't really do it for me.
Old 1st February 2009, 05:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpirit View Post
I loved the first 3 films, though I thought 4 was a decent film, the others didn't really do it for me.
After 4 they go downhill rapidly.The first remains the best & I also loved the third .

Like this? Share it using the links below!