Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2017, 09:26 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Maybe they could do a sequel and ignore Halloween itself apart from the prologue.

Have a bald wheezing Myers with a zimmer tracking grey haired Jamie Lee on her mobility scooter having not seen each other since they were nippers.
Old 10th October 2017, 12:56 PM
Ex-member

Which means that if they make Halloween 3 after that then they could put Myers in the film where they did not before.
Old 10th October 2017, 02:07 PM
Cult Master

The press release

So, unlike the proper 'Halloween II', it's not set to continue on the same night but 40 years later!!

Personally, I think one of the main strengths of the original sequel was the fact that it started the second the first one ended. Nowadays that is a common plot device ('Lord Of The Rings', 'The Hobbit' etc), but it was something new and novel (and almost certainly seen as a gimmick) back in the day

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th October 2017, 10:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I haven’t posted over here in a long time but I’ve been enjoying this thread so much I thought I’d step out of the Doyle family closet and add my bit…

I had a long running tradition since the VHS days of watching the original film on Halloween night but in the last few years I’ve knocked it on the head and have been resting the film so to speak – most definitely a case of familiarity breeds contempt, but after an absence of a few years I find myself missing the film so a screening may be on the cards this month I think ! I sometimes think the film has been a victim of its own success, that in some ways its power has been siphoned off by all the slasher films that followed in its wake (and some of them very good too!), but I was just looking back at something I posted on my blog back in 2013 - 10 Great Moments in John Carpenter's Halloween, and I’m reminded again at what a masterpiece the film is. Imagine seeing the film back in 1978, without the weight of culture on top of it and experiencing that raw power. It must have been quite something !
Old 11th October 2017, 10:59 AM
Cult Addict

I saw Halloween first when i was a kid and at that time i think the only ones that existed were 1,2 and 3.
I wasn't aware of any of the sequels at the time, so saw it unknowing of the weight of the franchise.
The film blew me a way and being a kid it was one of the only films that ever really scared me and freaked me out.

In your list of scenes you left out the final moments where the camera shows us various empty shots in the house etc, suggesting that he could be lurking anywhere. I think that is what really sent me over the edge as a kid.
Wes and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 11th October 2017, 11:04 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

You are absolutely correct Nos, that was an unforgivable slip as it is a fantastic, eerie sequence for sure. I know Carpenter was a very well read cinéaste when he made the film and I often wonder was that a lift from Antonioni's film The Eclipse which ends with a similar montage of empty frames....
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 11th October 2017, 11:13 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Imagine seeing the film back in 1978, without the weight of culture on top of it and experiencing that raw power.
I may be wrong but I am sure that the film came out first as a B' movie Double Bill with something else and then released on it's own later,1978 is such a long time to remember LOL
Wes likes this.
Old 11th October 2017, 11:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Very interesting Silver Surfer !

This would have made for a solid evening out !

trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

It's great to see you back, Wes - you've been sorely missed!
Wes likes this.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It's great to see you back, Wes - you've been sorely missed!
Thanks so much for that warm welcome. Yes, I've missed the place, I'm kicking around some threads now and very glad I've reconnected !

Like this? Share it using the links below!