Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Like Tree150Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2008, 11:27 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Default Halloween Films

The Halloween films:

Is Halloween the greatest slasher of all time?

Is Michael Myers the greatest horror icon of all time?

Whats everyones favourite sequels and why?

What direction would you all like to see the new (if it happens) film take?

Just some idea's there Anyone fancy discussing?
Old 30th September 2008, 08:15 PM
Cult Rookie

Halloween's one of my favourite films and for me is probably the best slasher film ever. Carpenter was on fire when he made this and the music is incredible.

Don't know if you've read this months Empire but Halloween was voted 461st greatest film of all time. I know I shouldn't get too bothered by polls like this but it was below The Phantom Menace!!! What's going on there?

Is it Carpenters best film? For me The Thing runs it close and perhaps edges it but ask me again tomorrow and i'll probably tell you different.
Old 30th September 2008, 10:37 PM
Cultist

The original Halloween is one of the best films (horror and non-horror) that I have seen. THAT music theme just gets me every time I hear it.

Halloween II is a very good sequel and much better than what people said about it years ago. From what I have read on the web in the last few years it's not criticised as much. I loved how it continued virtually right after the end of Halloween and ending on the morning of November 1st.
Old 1st October 2008, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I liked the first one best, and would agree Halloween has probably give us the greatest Horror icon of modern time.

I would also agree its the best of the slashers, but its not my favourite, that would go to either The Burning , or Death Trap . (not sure if DT is a true Slasher)

I really did'nt like the unrelated 3rd film much.
Old 1st October 2008, 01:11 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

I have a huge soft spot for Halloween and all it's sequels up until H20. from then on the series has become self-parody I think. I actually like the much maligned Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers but I much prefer the Producer's Cut.

Halloween is probably Carpenter's best film, although I do enjoy The Thing. Halloween is definitely his best original film.

As for the direction I'd like to see the series take? I'd like them to return to the storyline of parts 4, 5 and 6. They'd have to explain how the hell Laurie managed to have two babies around the same time as each other who weren't twins of course but I'm sure they can work that out. If they can keep bringing Michael back from the dead then they can write a background story to an odd pregnancy!

If they ever bring Busta Rhymes back though I'll burn my DVDs!
Old 1st October 2008, 02:52 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I still rate the original very highly even now. I also enjoyed the clever (if unrelated) part 3.

With the slight exception of H20 the sequels did nothing for me whatsoever.
Old 1st October 2008, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw1984 View Post
I actually like the much maligned Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers but I much prefer the Producer's Cut.

As for the direction I'd like to see the series take? I'd like them to return to the storyline of parts 4, 5 and 6. They'd have to explain how the hell Laurie managed to have two babies around the same time as each other who weren't twins of course but I'm sure they can work that out. If they can keep bringing Michael back from the dead then they can write a background story to an odd pregnancy!

H6 was always my favourite of the sequels aswell. Could never understand the amount of negativity towards it. Halloween 2 and 4 are close seconds but I've always loved H6, I really liked how it took the formula of the previous sequels and added a lot more action and gore to the death scenes. It was an interesting approach to take in a Halloween film but it really worked IMO. It certainly made for some entertaining scenes, seeing Michael Myers shove someone into a power generator until their head exploded was brilliant.

As for the new film, I'm with you on that Sarah. I'd love to see them return to the story arc from 4, 5 and 6 and revisit the whole pregnancy, Jamie's baby plot. They really need to dispense with all the modern/ mtv type teen slasher crap and get back to business. Michael deserves far better than that IMO. I'm dreading it being a follow up/ Halloween 2 remake to Rob Zombies (if thats possible ).
Old 1st October 2008, 03:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I'm a big fan of Carpenter's Halloween (and was decidedly unimpressed with Zombie's remake) and it's always in my top ten lists. Is it Carpenter's best film? It's probably his most commercially successful film, but I prefer Assault on Precinct 13, which pretty much set the blueprint for all urban thrillers to follow - and the shooting of the child still remains shocking even to this day.

But, getting back to Halloween, it probably is one of the best slashers ever made. It's very clever in that it takes another step from Texas Chain Saw Massacre, which brought horror to domestic shores - no outer space monsters or rabid werewolves, these were human and that was terrifying. Carpenter took the next logical step and said that horror isn't even in your neighbour's house - it's right there in your own home. The final shots of the film are powerful in showing a home, a place that is supposed to be safe and secure, that is full of menacing shadow and unease. Home was no longer a safe place to be.
Old 1st October 2008, 03:37 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahw1984 View Post
No! Send them to me, I'll burn them for you...well...the ones I don't want, anyway...
Old 1st October 2008, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest View Post
The original Halloween is one of the best films (horror and non-horror) that I have seen. THAT music theme just gets me every time I hear it.
Yeah, I must have seen the films (including sequels) a hundred times at least and that music still has such a massive effect on me everytime I hear it. It's an absolute masterpiece in terms of a horror film score, so simple yet so unnerving and ominous. It's probably as important to the Halloween films as Michael Myers himself.

Like this? Share it using the links below!