Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The 1970's (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=552)
-   -   Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/1970s/7784-living-dead-manchester-morgue.html)

Daemonia 31st January 2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 212762)
Defo. Although why was the woman running naked through the city?

That was completely random and totally real. She was a real streaker and Grau happened to be filming at the same time.

I think LDATMM is a classic and I love its whole vibe. The music score is fabulous (how dare you trash it!) and I have it on CD.

These young'uns just have no respect for the classics. It's films like this that have paved the way for the films we have today. It needs to be seen in its proper context, think about an audience in 1974 watching this, it's quite strong stuff for the time. And if films like this are not your cup of tea, then you're probably on the wrong site, as Arrow's stock in trade is films like this. :lol:

bgart13 31st January 2012 04:30 AM

I consider it to be one of the top living dead movies ever made. A true classic that met the hype, I thought.

antmumford 31st January 2012 08:41 AM

Glad some people are sticking up for it as it's been many years since I've seen it but fondly remember it being one of my favourite zombie films so have ordered the BU Blu. Been really looking forward to catching up with it again but this time in glorious HD. Same goes for Zombie too. I really wish HME would hurry up with my order :p

PaulD 31st January 2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 213165)
Glad some people are sticking up for it as it's been many years since I've seen it but fondly remember it being one of my favourite zombie films so have ordered the BU Blu. Been really looking forward to catching up with it again but this time in glorious HD.

It's one of the best-looking transfers I've seen as well - looks bloody lovely! It will be well worth the wait :)

Vampix 31st January 2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 213079)
A classic.
Rivals Romero's original zombie opus.:nod:

I actually find Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue more entertaining than Romero's original Night of the Living Dead.However, I don't enjoy it as much as Fulci's zombie quartet or Romero's subsequent Dawn & Day of the Dead.

Rassilon 31st January 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 213148)
That was completely random and totally real. She was a real streaker and Grau happened to be filming at the same time.

I think LDATMM is a classic and I love its whole vibe. The music score is fabulous (how dare you trash it!) and I have it on CD.

These young'uns just have no respect for the classics. It's films like this that have paved the way for the films we have today. It needs to be seen in its proper context, think about an audience in 1974 watching this, it's quite strong stuff for the time. And if films like this are not your cup of tea, then you're probably on the wrong site, as Arrow's stock in trade is films like this. :lol:

That is interesting about the naked woman. I never said it wasn't an enjoyable film. It is and I'll watch it again. I love all the arrow range. What I found in LDAMM which is missing from Romero and Fulci, is comedy. Unintentional yes, but still its there. I am not a 'young un' I lived through the video nasty scandal. However there are certain films that everyone misses first time around and this was one I missed. Yes it is dated, but be clear that I did like it for its interesting storyline, overtop dialogue and unintentional comedy.

Daemonia 31st January 2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky Chad (Post 213182)
That is interesting about the naked woman. I never said it wasn't an enjoyable film. It is and I'll watch it again. I love all the arrow range. What I found in LDAMM which is missing from Romero and Fulci, is comedy. Unintentional yes, but still its there. I am not a 'young un' I lived through the video nasty scandal. However there are certain films that everyone misses first time around and this was one I missed. Yes it is dated, but be clear that I did like it for its interesting storyline, overtop dialogue and unintentional comedy.

My post was tongue-in-cheek, so don't take it too seriously. ;)

I do agree that some of the older films do have things in them so ludicrous that they make me chuckle. But we need to remember that we're watching it with 21st century eyes, it probably didn't seem so ridiculous back then. Like the 50's sci-fi movies with a fetish for atomic monsters - there was a real fear in America back than of a nuclear holocaust, so the films were more scary to those audiences. Now we watch them and they make us laugh.

Hope I'm making sense! I didn't really think anyone was being disrespectful. :)

Vampix 31st January 2012 12:29 PM

There's some very atmospheric scenes in LDATMM to rival anything in Fulci's zombie flicks imo.In fact, I think Fulci himself was probably highly influenced by this film as the way the living dead look, move and make those echoey groans reminded me of the zombies in The Beyond.

bgart13 31st January 2012 06:00 PM

Probably helps that Gianetto De Rossi did the make-up for LDAMM, ZOMBIE, and THE BEYOND.

wongfeihung62 31st January 2012 06:17 PM

I love this movie and will be getting the BU BD soon. The Lake District locations are so eerie and bleak and lend a great atmosphere to the movie.