Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1970's

Poll: BEST BLIND DEAD?
Poll Options
BEST BLIND DEAD?

Like Tree214Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th April 2011, 07:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I don't think I've seen a full episode of Doctor Who, so I can easily believe that particular episode escaped the attentions of George A. Romero and Amando de Ossorio!
Its surprising where people get their influences.

In this case you are probably right .

Had it been Simon Pegg, The League of Gentlemen or Neill Gaiman, then it could well be true - all big Who fans.
Old 16th April 2011, 10:00 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I think censoring the blind dead films in this day and age is menatal, I just ended up buying the us imports in the lovely coffin box.

[...]

The sexual violence that crops up is a little nasty for sure but i've seen much worse on bbfc approved films (irriversable anyone).
I have to agree with you - I really think that an 18-rating by the BBFC would be normal today; the movie is quite tough in some scenes (the final scene in the train certainly is gross - although you don't see too much; but that's why I personally like that scene very much), but compared to other films passed by the BBFC "Tombs of the Blind Dead" really should be released in its uncut form.

However, the BBFC speak of "eroticised sexual assault". I just watched the infamous scene again and I have to state that the description is simply wrong. There is no "eroticised" part within this sexual assault (i.e. rape) - the poor lady screams all the time (I listened to the Spanish track) and makes it perfectly clear that she is raped by the guy. So if the BBFC want to stick to their own guidelines, they have to give "Tombs..." the 18-rating. As you already said - the rape itself cannot be the problem as otherwise "Irreversible" would have been cut by more than ten minutes (by the way: I'm no friend of censorship, but "Irreversible" is really tough - if I would ever agree on a movie being banned, this would be a canditate; but back to the topic).

Speaking of "Tombs of the Blind Dead" itself, I think that it is one of the spookiest and most enjoyable horror movies ever. I would always include it in my "10 favourite horror movies" list; it has its scary and tough scenes, but most of the time it is just about atmosphere, atmosphere, and atmosphere again. I really love it!

It would be great indeed if Arrow was to release this movie, preferably on Blu-ray. I own a German Laser Paradise DVD edition (yeah, it has Spanish original audio AND it is uncut - although nearly everything else seems to be there) and its picture quality is really good. I really assume that there is some great master copy of that movie available - the DVD in some way even looks better than some Blu-ray discs of movies from the same time out there.

So this might be quite a chance to release the Ultimate Edition of that cult classic.

How about some nice bonus stuff? Well, there has to be the obligatory poster - I'd LOVE that artwork chosen as the traditional back of it: http://www.metal-army.com/wp-content...ad-282x400.jpg

And, of course, this artwork should also be one of the four cover artworks - although I think that Arrow could come up here with a fine new artwork as well.

You could add some interviews. A Jess Franco interview, for example. Subject: "As a director who mainly shot sleaze movies in the early 70s: what do you think about "Tombs of the Blind Dead"?"

Or an interview with somebody from the BBFC - "Why in god's name was this movie cut in the UK until Arrow's release? And where did you see any "eroticised" rape? Come on, buddy, tell me, 'cause I wannna see that, too"

No, really - you should find somebody talking about that flick - e.g. MarÃ*a Elena Arpón, one of the actresses.

I wouldn't be afraid of the possible bonus - how about a featurette with Antón GarcÃ*a Abril, the creator of the really great creepy soundtrack that we all love so much?

Any ideas what else we could get in a possible Arrow release? Share your ideas!

Greetings!
Old 16th April 2011, 11:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
No votes for Ghost Galleon!
I watched this entry expecting a lesser viewing experience after reading much negativity about it. But i was actually pleasantly surprised at just how much i liked the film.

True, you can only go so far on the titular seafaring vessel before resorting to jumping overboard. But i believe such a claustrophobic setting heightens the suspense and benefits the onscreen activities rather than detracting from said events.

I'm also in total agreement regarding the 'Blind-Dead-emerging-from-the-sea' final reel. Superb stuff.
Old 16th April 2011, 02:40 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Its surprising where people get their influences.

In this case you are probably right .

Had it been Simon Pegg, The League of Gentlemen or Neill Gaiman, then it could well be true - all big Who fans.
If any of them had done it then it would have been an homage, something they would have probably mentioned on the commentary track as they all seem pretty forthcoming when it comes to their influences and reference points.
Old 16th April 2011, 03:31 PM
Cult Addict

As i've said, I'd love Arrow to get hold of a lot of the BCI prints, there was a lot of paul nachy films that they had with supurb prints.

As for any blind dead blu-ray, well fan commentaries could be interesting, hold a competition to select the biggest blind dead fans to sit in and talk about the films...

i'd enter for sure!

Also someone should try and get the other amando de ossirio films out! BCI put out lorelys grasp and night of the sorcerers in supurb editions, trouble is now they are WAY overpriced. Time for a re-issue methinks!
Old 16th April 2011, 06:30 PM
Cultist in Training

I also have Blue Undergrounds Blind Dead series, fantastic box set it is too.
Old 31st May 2011, 08:19 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Favorite blind dead

My favorite is definitely "Night of the Seagulls". I think the atmosphere and the acting are best in this film, although I love all of them. I had "Tombs" and "Return" first on Midnite Video VHS and "Night" on a Sony VHS. Now I have them on DVD.
While the quality of some of the films leave something to be desired I think the image of the Templars riding their horses in slo-mo is one of greatest horror icons of its era.
Old 31st May 2011, 11:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

'Tombs' takes it for me, first and best etc. Just wish the Templars would have shown up sooner, but as others have said shots of em on horseback look superb. The transfer on the Anchor Bay discs is top notch.
Old 1st June 2011, 01:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Tombs is easily my favourite.

Return/Seagulls. Return, love the mean spirited scene with the kid! Seagulls has a great atmosphere.

Galleon
is awful - but the trailer is truly amazing!
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:36 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

I'd like to see the full R-rated English version of Part 1, the US disc uses a PG-rated edit.

Like this? Share it using the links below!